2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

Just now, vikestyle said:

Again I'll ask, what HC candidates do you see that would be an upgrade and fit with the team as it is currently assembled? I am genuinely curious.

Hard to say without doing a bit more research into guys, but some offensive names likely to be thrown around that would fit our offensive personnel. Josh McDaniels (big fan of the Erhardt-Perkins system), Zac Taylor (QB coach under McVay and former college/interim OC, Matt LaFleur (worked under Shannahan and McVay).  I'm not going to pretend that I know enough about anyone to know if they're qualified to be head coaches, but, to me, it's always made sense for the head coach to be an offensive guy.  It's an offensive league, and continuity of system is never in question as long as they remain head coach.  A defensive head coach gets his OC poached to be a head coach, and suddenly you're starting over there.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Hard to say without doing a bit more research into guys, but some offensive names likely to be thrown around that would fit our offensive personnel. Josh McDaniels (big fan of the Erhardt-Perkins system), Zac Taylor (QB coach under McVay and former college/interim OC, Matt LaFleur (worked under Shannahan and McVay).  I'm not going to pretend that I know enough about anyone to know if they're qualified to be head coaches, but, to me, it's always made sense for the head coach to be an offensive guy.  It's an offensive league, and continuity of system is never in question as long as they remain head coach.  A defensive head coach gets his OC poached to be a head coach, and suddenly you're starting over there.

Not a McDaniels guy, but the other names are intriguing. I just feel like with a veteran roster ownership may want an established coach in there. I'd be nervous that if we fired Zimmer we'd go after some old washed up coach instead of gambling on a younger offensive mind. 

I see way to many overreactions in this thread. For starters, firing simmer accomplishes what? Our starting corner,m and linebacker were both injured and did not play, the defense played well the second half of the season, it’s just our oline was problematic. Kirk barely had a second of protection, couldn’t do anything about that yesterday. 

What we we need is to solidify our offensive line. We have superstar receivers, a stud running back, Qb that can make some outstanding throws, a good defense. Literally our Achilles heel is the oline. I really pray we draft the best oline men available this year 

My take on the top needs going into the offseason:

1) Quarterback - I have this need listed as #1 based on the significance of the position when you don't have a franchise QB. I can't label Cousins as a franchise QB as he hasn't shown any consistent ability to perform well in big games. I certainly wouldn't reach for a QB because Cousins can be an okay stop gap but I'd be paying very close attention to QBs that fall into that 10-15 range.

2) Interior Offensive line - Both OGs need to be replaced and Pat Elflein was one of the worst starting Centers in the league. I'd build up the OL based on draft value and worry less about position. The Vikings need talent at the end of the day. Even if it's a Tackle.

3) Defensive Tackle or Outside Linebacker - I doubt the Vikings bring back both Barr and Richardson. One goes and the other stays. My guess is that the Vikes keep Barr given his history here.

4) Tight End - Rudolph had an uneventful season and hasn't shown much usefulness as a receiver between the 20s. I think it's time to start using the position more than is currently being used. I'd love to add a TE who can stetch the field or be a threat to turn a five yard catch into a 15 yard gain. When was the last time Rudolph broke a tackle or made a defender miss?

5) Wide Receiver 3 - Similar to the TE need,    the Vikings need a third receiver to emerge . Give me someone that can stretch the field and keep Thielen in the slot.

6) Defensive Line depth - The Vikings should look for a DT in the middle of the draft and maybe another developmental DE.

Potential cap cuts include Remmers, Rudolph, Sendejo and Griffen.

8 hours ago, RpMc said:

Josh McDaniels (big fan of the Erhardt-Perkins system), Zac Taylor (QB coach under McVay and former college/interim OC, Matt LaFleur (worked under Shannahan and McVay).  

I’m on the absolute “NO” train with McDaniels.

Settled down now, I’m absolutely giving Zimmer and Spielman on more year. Play out the contracts. 

Let them have Year 2 of Cousins, they brought him in here, it’s unfair to slap an expensive QB like that on a new GM/HC and force them to ride it out. 

If the team improves and makes the playoffs, tie both of them to Cousins. Kirk will be in for 1 more year, you bring each back for one more year. 

If another dud season like this past year, blow the place up, the talent is still young enough to have solid pieces going forward, we will have a couple aging vets, but still, young talent. 

Its win now mode, next year truely is the key year. Blowing up the coaching staff and your GM is something you do when you want to start all the way over. 

Like I said, I’m tying these two to Kirk.

I still have a small gut love for Zimmer. Guy hasn’t had exactly the best luck.

Came to Minnesota, made one of the worst defenses into one of the best defense in a hurry. 

Never had much luck finding a QB, finds one, and the guy blows his knee apart. 

Team gets sent Bradford, who didn’t play good or really bad, but good enough, and our whole team gets blown apart and hurt. 

Next year, Bradford comes out like a hero, knee gives out, Keenum comes in and we still end up in the NFC Championship game. 

This is is the first year where I finally have said to look into the coaching staff. But no way can I say fire him after one year of going 8-8 with a fairly healthy team. It stinks but I give him one more year no matter what. 

Lets see if Zimmer and Spielman can prove something this year. 

2 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I see way to many overreactions in this thread. For starters, firing simmer accomplishes what? Our starting corner,m and linebacker were both injured and did not play, the defense played well the second half of the season, it’s just our oline was problematic. Kirk barely had a second of protection, couldn’t do anything about that yesterday. 

What we we need is to solidify our offensive line. We have superstar receivers, a stud running back, Qb that can make some outstanding throws, a good defense. Literally our Achilles heel is the oline. I really pray we draft the best oline men available this year 

I couldn't agree more.  Bravo!

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

My take on the top needs going into the offseason:

1) Quarterback - I have this need listed as #1 based on the significance of the position when you don't have a franchise QB. I can't label Cousins as a franchise QB as he hasn't shown any consistent ability to perform well in big games. I certainly wouldn't reach for a QB because Cousins can be an okay stop gap but I'd be paying very close attention to QBs that fall into that 10-15 range.

So, we look to a draft, this year, probably the worst year for drafting QB’s, fairly close to the year with Ponder, in reality worse. Also find a new HC and GM and tie these new coaches to an $84M QB and a 1st round draft pick that probably won’t be there until year 3..... 

yeah not a fan of that. That’s how you get fired by year 4 of being a coach.

Ok, after sleeping pretty well last night, I have reflected on the season and these are my thoughts.

1. I have never, ever been a fan of Kirk Cousins and didn't want to sign him.  His contract is an anchor, dragging down the possibilities of position improvement for the next two years.  I think he's reached his ceiling as an NFL quarterback that's, unfortunately, slightly better than any other realistic options available to the team.  Oh, how I wish we could trade for Nick Foles brain to be placed into Cousins more athletic body.

2. My great anxiety for this team going forward is, what if the 2017 season was the best a Zimmer led team can achieve?  What if the Coaching staff and Front Office have reached their ceilings?  If that's the case, then it really doesn't matter what we do to repair the offensive line, or get that third reliable receiver.  Cousins and the coaching staff are not going to improve!  This is my worst case scenario.

3. Other than O'Neil, I don't think any offensive linemen presently on the team should feel comfortable that their jobs are safe in 2019.  I know that there are a lot of people on this board who are firm believers in drafting BPA.  I think that philosophy needs to blown up in 2019.  I would hope that the first 3 or 4 picks will be offensive linemen.

4. I would let Rudolph, Sendejo, Murray and Richardson walk.  I would trade Rhodes for all that I can possibly get. My FA targets would be back up RB, and starting TE.  I think we have the players on the roster to continue getting good DL production.

5. Zimmer MUST give up running the defense, and make other fundamental changes, if he wants to avoid my worst case scenario.  He needs to bring his mentor, Bill Parcells, as a one year head coaching consultant.  Maybe think of bringing Dirk Koetter on as Offensive Coordinator as long as he doesn't try to bring Winston along with him.

6. It's time to take Spielman out of the GM's office.  I really don't care how the Vikings do it, but it's time for George Paton to be given the reigns of the team.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Maybe think of bringing Dirk Koetter on as Offensive Coordinator as long as he doesn't try to bring Winston along with him.

I still don’t get this thrill. Outside of the Jags, he never really did anything. With Tampa he was just tied to Jameis. 

And what they did with the gunslinging in Tampa had nothing to do with him, he’s traditional and wants to be able to pound it down your throat..... he just couldn’t do that. He also had the two biggest gunslinging QB’s in the NFL with Fitzmagic and Winston. They live and die by the home run ball.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I still don’t get this thrill. Outside of the Jags, he never really did anything. With Tampa he was just tied to Jameis. 

And what they did with the gunslinging in Tampa had nothing to do with him, he’s traditional and wants to be able to pound it down your throat..... he just couldn’t do that. He also had the two biggest gunslinging QB’s in the NFL with Fitzmagic and Winston. They live and die by the home run ball.

With Kirk at the helm, behind the offensive line that will probably start 2 or 3 rookies, I think the Vikings need a pound the ball, run first, offensive coordinator....which, unfortunately, is a complete waste of Diggs' and Thielens' talents...but that's the way the 2019 team is likely to stack up...so run the damn ball.

I honestly have no realistic idea what we should do as OC or OL coach. 

My favorite idea is Freddie Kitchens right now.... 

I just have a feeling Stefanski won’t get a HC opportunity and will end up sticking here as OC.

whatever we do I just want some more of a creative offense. DeFlippo was different for us, but his scheme was so damn simple and repetitive. 

9 hours ago, RpMc said:

The one big game that they've won, took a miracle walk-off finish after the defense gave up a pretty substantial lead. The big game, and prime time, losses far outweigh that win. The team has a habit of coming out flat in those games, and that's partially on the players... but the players change somewhat year to year, the head coach hasn't.

That's just it.

Football is among other things a game of emotion and a game of mental toughness. It's not just about talent or X's and O's on the chalkboard.

The Vikings not showing up to play in a big game has become the rule rather than the exception under Zimmer.

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

With Kirk at the helm, behind the offensive line that will probably start 2 or 3 rookies, I think the Vikings need a pound the ball, run first, offensive coordinator....which, unfortunately, is a complete waste of Diggs' and Thielens' talents...but that's the way the 2019 team is likely to stack up...so run the damn ball.

I agree with that, but I don’t want to just turn into a power run team. It doesn’t fit with Cook at all. 

Hardest part is the team isn’t designed that way. We truely will need to find another RB to slit time with Cook to do that. 

I don’t think we need to just “run the damn ball” to win with a young Oline, hell, look at the Colts.

They started two rookies, and they can run a mixed bag, but the offense is designed to get the ball out of Lucks hands in less than 2.5 seconds. 

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I agree with that, but I don’t want to just turn into a power run team. It doesn’t fit with Cook at all. 

Hardest part is the team isn’t designed that way. We truely will need to find another RB to slit time with Cook to do that. 

I don’t think we need to just “run the damn ball” to win with a young Oline, hell, look at the Colts.

They started two rookies, and they can run a mixed bag, but the offense is designed to get the ball out of Lucks hands in less than 2.5 seconds. 

I do believe that a gentleman by the name of Adrian Peterson might become available as a free agent option.

Archived