Dirk Koetter axed

Elky

4 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Yup.  Some Bucs fans ripped me at the time for suggesting that it was stupid to fire Lovie because they were already sold on the idea of promoting Dirk.  Well we now see how that turned out in the end

Yeah, Lovie Smith got nothing out the players and made a number of terrible FA decisions (Collins, Johnson).

He was just a name by the time he got to Tampa and the league appeared to have passed him by while he was away. Reputation doesn’t win you football games and it was the right move to move on from him after 2015.

Koetter’s main failings were holding on to Mike Smith for too long and not building a competent running game. Scheme wise, our running game has been bad, so Koetter carries responsibility for that one.

15 hours ago, TB Doug22 said:

Lovie had a 8-24 record. He was awful.

Mainly because he was handed a total garbage roster his first year.  He had a 4 game improvement his second season with a rookie quarterback.  I feel like that probably should have bought him another year at the very least 

14 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

Yeah, Lovie Smith got nothing out the players and made a number of terrible FA decisions (Collins, Johnson).

He was just a name by the time he got to Tampa and the league appeared to have passed him by while he was away. Reputation doesn’t win you football games and it was the right move to move on from him after 2015.

Koetter’s main failings were holding on to Mike Smith for too long and not building a competent running game. Scheme wise, our running game has been bad, so Koetter carries responsibility for that one.

Why was it right to move on from Lovie after 2015, when he improved the team from 2-14 to 6-10 with a rookie quarterback (and they were 6-6 and in the playoff race before losing out that year)?  Not really seeing the logic on that one 

Koetter was alright his first season, but as you mentioned the lack of a running game hurt his cause, though I’m not sure how much of that blame lies on the lack of a strong offensive line and Doug Martin regressing practically overnight 

I mean, was he even a good OC?  Is it surprising that he crashed and burned as a HC, on a team with mediocre at best talent and a QB situation that never really settled itself like it should have with a guy picked that high in the draft?

27 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, was he even a good OC?  Is it surprising that he crashed and burned as a HC, on a team with mediocre at best talent and a QB situation that never really settled itself like it should have with a guy picked that high in the draft?

Yeah i would say he was a pretty good OC overall from what i remember with Atlanta and Tampa he has been in the top 10 in offense every year but maybe 1? A few times finishing in the top 3 to 5.

Serious Q - are the Glazers willing to pay an OC HC money?

The best case scenario is Monken staying as OC, and getting a bright D mind to upgrade the D.   Monken running the O would keep that side humming, and the D improving.  The D was the real reason for the team's struggles.  The O was incredibly productive, and that was ALL on Monken's work.   Remember, Dirk took over play calling for Monken, and that led to the 2 lowest scoring games of the season (LOL classic Koetter epitath).

Koetter wasn't bad as ATL OC, so I could see a return there.  I don't think he should be a HC again for a while, if ever.   Maybe a lot later, if he shows he learned something.  The problem that I saw was Koetter never knew how to create an identity to the O, and that's unforgiveable if you've been given control that long for a team.   With a more focused job, maybe he can find that OC magic again, but he will be on my "avoid" lists for HC for a good while.

Archived