GDT 2018: Wilcard Weekend - LA Chargers vs Baltimore Ravens - Sunday 1:05PM

drd23

Yeah I was hoping that we would get the early game. This will be an incredibly difficult game. This is the worst playoff matchup for our offense IMO. We can’t bully that defense around.

Our only hope is that the coaching staff has faith in Jackson to pass and Jackson has his best passing game in terms of accuracy.

Not sure what to expect next week.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I was hoping that we would get the early game. This will be an incredibly difficult game. This is the worst playoff matchup for our offense IMO. We can’t bully that defense around.

Our only hope is that the coaching staff has faith in Jackson to pass and Jackson has his best passing game in terms of accuracy.

Not sure what to expect next week.

Sort of a weird way to put it considering we just beat them handily at their place last week. 

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Sort of a weird way to put it considering we just beat them handily at their place last week. 

True, but I think we kind of caught them off guard and just hit them in the mouth. While they were playing to win, we were playing for blood. I’m not sure we hit them in the mouth quite so hard this time. Not because we won’t try, but because they will be ready for the physicality. Also they have the one defense in the AFC that completely scares me in how they can stop us.

They have Derwin James to lock down Mark Andrews in man coverage, guys that can get to the QB with only four. Speed to contain the edge. A secondary that actually looks good in zone coverage to force Lamar into high accuracy passes (not that he can’t hit those passes).

But I see your point. I said “our only chance”. Which seemingly means we stand no chance in this game. I just think this game is completely 50/50.

Last game was the Weddle Revenge game. Next week will be the Rivers Revenge game, and they'll have all the motivation. Hard to imagine us repeating anywhere near that performance. We really need to finish drives on offense if we want to stand a chance. Baker and that offense exposed major flaws in our pass defense, and I expect LAC to utilize those same concepts, especially isolating Tony Jefferson when he's deep in coverage.

41 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Last game was the Weddle Revenge game. Next week will be the Rivers Revenge game, and they'll have all the motivation. Hard to imagine us repeating anywhere near that performance. We really need to finish drives on offense if we want to stand a chance. Baker and that offense exposed major flaws in our pass defense, and I expect LAC to utilize those same concepts, especially isolating Tony Jefferson when he's deep in coverage.

Exactly. What’s more the scoreboard looks much further apart than that game was in reality. We completely stuffed their offense but they completely stuffed our offense for most of the game as well. I like the red zone wrinkles to use Jackson as a runner up the middle more, but the Chargers are so stout and disciplined up the middle.

But back to the point, if not for that key fumble 6 at the end of that first matchup, instead of a 10 point loss, the Chargers potentially win that game.

This isn’t to discredit our defense from having made a great play, this is simply to acknowledge that this notion that we somehow “dominated” the Chargers isn’t accurate in all phases. We won that game for sure, but it was very evenly matched between two defenses that had the opposing offense’s number.

Make no mistake this will be a bloodbath and if Rivers somehow was able to “figure out” what our defense did to stifle him in coverage and their OL performs better, we will need Jackson to carry the team with his arm to open up the rushing game.

I think a key thing to look out for will be Crabtree stepping up. I have little faith with John Brown doing anything pertinent. Crabtree can be a guy to get some quick hitters to get us into breathing room and I’m sure their defense will look to clamp down on Willie Snead this go round. The other option we’ll need a big game from will be Hayden Hurst. If he has some big plays, it will pressure the Chargers to creep up to stop his short routes and leave more intermediate space for both Andrews and Snead to take advantage of against zone looks. Though I have little faith in him, if we can get a big play out of John Brown that would be huge. But all in all, I think we’ll have to utilize our short passing game to open up our run game.

Yeah, John Brown in particular has been a major disappointment. Lamar has thrown him some solid balls of late and he just seems to be completely not dialed in. At least with Crabtree he’s dialed in, he just doesn’t have the best hands. Crabtree brings a high effort level in his play. At this point I’d easily trust Crabtree with a clutch reception than Brown. Though hopefully Crabtree doesn’t make me eat these words. FWIW, we should probably just target Andrews/Hurst/Snead in said clutch moments but if they’re all covered than this hypothetical applies.

Something to remember- the Chargers OL isn't going to have gotten better since we last played them. Their interior especially is suspect. Rivers couldn't deal with the pressure in his face and collapsed. Michael Pierce's value triples when the IOL of opponents can't anchor. It turns Pierce into a viable pass rush option, which in turn makes our outside rush that much stronger. I fully expect us to dominate the LOS once more.

Suggs needs just 4 sacks to break the Career Playoff Sacks Record. He had a gang of pressures against the Chargers last game, so I wouldn't be surprised if he grabbed a couple Sacks against them this time.

Playoff Sizzle comin...Get Ready.

bradyray.gif

Rank Player Sk Years Tm
1 Willie McGinest 16.0 1994-2008 nwe
2 Bruce Smith+ 14.5 1985-2003 buf
3 Terrell Suggs 12.5 2003-2018 rav
4 Reggie White+ 12.0 1985-2000 2TM
5 LaMarr Woodley 11.0 2007-2015 pit
  Clay Matthews 11.0 2009-2018 gnb
  James Harrison 11.0 2002-2017 3TM
  Charles Haley+ 11.0 1986-1999 2TM
  Dwight Freeney 11.0 2002-2017 3TM
10 Richard Dent+ 10.5 1983-1997 3TM

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Something to remember- the Chargers OL isn't going to have gotten better since we last played them. Their interior especially is suspect. Rivers couldn't deal with the pressure in his face and collapsed. Michael Pierce's value triples when the IOL of opponents can't anchor. It turns Pierce into a viable pass rush option, which in turn makes our outside rush that much stronger. I fully expect us to dominate the LOS once more.

Agree completely. The Chargers just couldn't block our front 7. I don't see how that changes, particularly in Baltimore with the crowd noise. 

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Suggs needs just 4 sacks to break the Career Playoff Sacks Record. He had a gang of pressures against the Chargers last game, so I wouldn't be surprised if he grabbed a couple Sacks against them this time.

Playoff Sizzle comin...Get Ready.

bradyray.gif

Rank Player Sk Years Tm
1 Willie McGinest 16.0 1994-2008 nwe
2 Bruce Smith+ 14.5 1985-2003 buf
3 Terrell Suggs 12.5 2003-2018 rav
4 Reggie White+ 12.0 1985-2000 2TM
5 LaMarr Woodley 11.0 2007-2015 pit
  Clay Matthews 11.0 2009-2018 gnb
  James Harrison 11.0 2002-2017 3TM
  Charles Haley+ 11.0 1986-1999 2TM
  Dwight Freeney 11.0 2002-2017 3TM
10 Richard Dent+ 10.5 1983-1997 3TM

I just hope his hamstring(?) injury isn't going to hinder him in the playoffs.

Archived