International Football Thread

LeeEvans

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

He's at that point in his career where he needs regular games, he's not getting that at Chelsea. And what Baka offers to the team isn't what Rubén can offer. 

He could've got 25+ games this year at Chelsea if given a fair chance, he didn't need to be playing every single week to stay.  I don't like comparing players to one another in absolute terms because that's not how it works.  Bakayoko may be better overall (he hasn't been very impressive), but RLC is a much better fit vs bottom table teams than him.  So while Bakayoko may have played the more important games due to being stronger on the defensive side, RLC would have had use as Bakayoko offers very little going forward.  Just look at how often we've been forced to play Fabregas this year because of injuries.  And it goes back to not giving RLC time and going out and blowing 40 million on Drinkwater, and I think RLC has proven in his time at Palace and his performance yesterday that he is definitely good enough to get minutes for us.

2 hours ago, PAW said:

He could've got 25+ games this year at Chelsea if given a fair chance, he didn't need to be playing every single week to stay.  I don't like comparing players to one another in absolute terms because that's not how it works.  Bakayoko may be better overall (he hasn't been very impressive), but RLC is a much better fit vs bottom table teams than him.  So while Bakayoko may have played the more important games due to being stronger on the defensive side, RLC would have had use as Bakayoko offers very little going forward.  Just look at how often we've been forced to play Fabregas this year because of injuries.  And it goes back to not giving RLC time and going out and blowing 40 million on Drinkwater, and I think RLC has proven in his time at Palace and his performance yesterday that he is definitely good enough to get minutes for us.

I'm not saying he is not good enough. Of course he is. I think 25+ games is a stretch and if so a majority of them would come off the bench. Furthermore when Conte did utilise him last year he played in behind the striker. He's not a guy you put in a 2 man midfield. People say Cesc is not a fit in a 2 man midfield, Ruben just as bad a fit or maybe worse. As much I dislike the Drinkwater signing he is a better fit in a 2man midfield than Ruben. If he stayed at Chelsea I very very much doubt he is even in the squad yesterday. I think he made the right decision going out on loan. It's not a bad thing. It's the best thing for him. 

• Like 1