International Football Thread

LeeEvans

Just looked at the North America bid to stage that tournament. 

How on earth can the US lay claim to all the matches after the Quarters?! How can you not play a quarter or semi final at the Estadio Azteca? A stadium with infinitely more footballing history than any US stadium. 

$$$$$

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

How could it not? We can't keep the world from quality Pulisic time. It's basically like having Messi miss the World Cup. 

The States are the least of my concerns.

All current CONCACAF qualifying "finalists" will make the new tournament

Syria, Uzbekistan and the UAE will qualify. 

DRC, Zambia, Ivory Coast and Uganda will qualify. 

New Zealand will be guaranteed a spot. 

I mean can you honestly say the World Cup is lacking because these teams aren't there? 

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

The States are the least of my concerns.

All current CONCACAF qualifying "finalists" will make the new tournament

Syria, Uzbekistan and the UAE will qualify. 

DRC, Zambia, Ivory Coast and Uganda will qualify. 

New Zealand will be guaranteed a spot. 

I mean can you honestly say the World Cup is lacking because these teams aren't there? 

I completely agree with you. Qualifying is going to be an absolute bore, what possible drama could there be? The opening rounds of the WC will be similarly "thrilling". It's just a bad change for the viewers. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

I completely agree with you. Qualifying is going to be an absolute bore, what possible drama could there be? The opening rounds of the WC will be similarly "thrilling". It's just a bad change for the viewers. 

The only drama will be when bang average sides like Albania or absolutely terrible ones like Papua New Guinea (New Zealand drew with New Caledonia and the Solomon Islands in qualifying and the OFC is guaranteed a spot) threaten to upset the apple cart. 

But that will only appear interesting because people will have forgotten that these sides shouldn't be anywhere near a major tournament. 

13 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

The only drama will be when bang average sides like Albania or absolutely terrible ones like Papua New Guinea (New Zealand drew with New Caledonia and the Solomon Islands in qualifying and the OFC is guaranteed a spot) threaten to upset the apple cart. 

But that will only appear interesting because people will have forgotten that these sides shouldn't be anywhere near a major tournament. 

It will be like seeing if West Brom can finish 13th instead of 14th. 

I just had a funny thought of how this could come full circle. 

Say we end up with an inflated 80 team World Cup in 2058 and someone has the bright idea "why don't we include everyone and the winners of the group stages go on to play each in a separate knockout tournament called 'the best teams of the world cup, world cup'"

I know, why don't we let everyone into the World Cup, but since it's impossible for a single country to host that many games let's split the teams into groups based on say, their geographical location. Then lets have them play games home and away. And the winners of those groups qualify for the 2nd round of the world cup to play against nations from other parts of the world in a round robin style tournament..... 

5 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I know, why don't we let everyone into the World Cup, but since it's impossible for a single country to host that many games let's split the teams into groups based on say, their geographical location. Then lets have them play games home and away. And the winners of those groups qualify for the 2nd round of the world cup to play against nations from other parts of the world in a round robin style tournament..... 

You know, that might be crazy enough to work....

Australia through after beating Honduras 3-1 leaves just one game to decide the final team in the WC finals.

We played okay and will be lucky to win a game in the group stage, but at least we qualified - which is more than can be said for a few more fancied teams