International Football Thread

LeeEvans

7 hours ago, kempus said:

I actually think there's up to 7 teams who could win it. Any of Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, France, Belgium or even Portugal.

While Argentina, Belgium and Portugal can win it I have a really hard time believing they have a good chance to do so. Argentina look absolutely terrible, Belgium don't look like they've improved at all from the last WC and Portugal has some serious questions at CB. All three of those teams would be major surprise winners in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

While Argentina, Belgium and Portugal can win it I have a really hard time believing they have a good chance to do so. Argentina look absolutely terrible, Belgium don't look like they've improved at all from the last WC and Portugal has some serious questions at CB. All three of those teams would be major surprise winners in my opinion. 

I think major surprise is an exaggeration, but it's an opinion. I think Its actually one of the most wide open world cups in recent memory.

13 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Bingo. I see a lot of people saying that leaving him out is crazy but that's solely on his performances in England. I think this was a good call by Low, Draxler is great for Germany and Brandt and Reus are in good form. 

But Sane is a lot better than both Brandt and Reus. Sane is a guy that you make your tactics around.

54 minutes ago, kempus said:

But Sane is a lot better than both Brandt and Reus. Sane is a guy that you make your tactics around.

Sane hasn't done anything for Germany and Germany certainly don't build their tactics around him. Reus, when healthy, is at least as good of a player and Brandt might not be quite as talented but he plays well for Germany and is in good form. Germany are absolutely loaded for talented and taking a guy who fits the way they play matters more than pure talent.

You can make a case for Sane over Brandt but it's really not an outrageous exclusion. 

59 minutes ago, kempus said:

I think major surprise is an exaggeration, but it's an opinion. I think Its actually one of the most wide open world cups in recent memory.

Interesting. I guess we'll see but I don't feel the same way, should be interesting though. 

Just took a look at the squads on BBC website.

The Asian section of the WC is diabolical. Australia are arguably their strongest side and are relying on a combination of English lower league, A league and J league players. Saudi don't have a single playing out of Saudi whilst Iran have a few European based players. Even Korea, who for a long time were the strongest Asian side, only have a handful of players plying their trade outside of the K league.

12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Just took a look at the squads on BBC website.

The Asian section of the WC is diabolical. Australia are arguably their strongest side and are relying on a combination of English lower league, A league and J league players. Saudi don't have a single playing out of Saudi whilst Iran have a few European based players. Even Korea, who for a long time were the strongest Asian side, only have a handful of players plying their trade outside of the K league.

Yeah it's probably going to be a pretty poor showing for Asia. Japan is a decent side but their ceiling is pretty low in my opinion and I doubt they get out of a pretty difficult group even though there are no power house nations in it. 

Australia is probably the worst they've been in a while and I think they have a strong chance of losing every match. 

I think Iran could actually have been a decent side but their group is packed. 

42 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Sane hasn't done anything for Germany and Germany certainly don't build their tactics around him. Reus, when healthy, is at least as good of a player and Brandt might not be quite as talented but he plays well for Germany and is in good form. Germany are absolutely loaded for talented and taking a guy who fits the way they play matters more than pure talent.

You can make a case for Sane over Brandt but it's really not an outrageous exclusion. 

Reus, when healthy is one of their best players. I love Sane but he ain’t no Reus.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Germany have to be favourites, they have a great squad with some really star players. Does Timo Werner start?

I think that will be very interesting to see. If I was Low I think he would be my choice. It will be interesting to see what he does with Muller, the guy is insanely good at WCs. 

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Reus, when healthy is one of their best players. I love Sane but he ain’t no Reus.

Absolutely. He also adds goals to a side that sometimes have a few too many creators which I think is pretty important.

38 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

The Asian section of the WC is diabolical.

Yep, which makes the fact Australia had to go through the inter-continental play-off all the worse.  This team is probably the worst one Australia has put together for at least 20 years.

Japan is the only Asian team capable doing anything this WC and even that is unlikely imo

4 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I think that will be very interesting to see. If I was Low I think he would be my choice. It will be interesting to see what he does with Muller, the guy is insanely good at WCs. 

Is there a question that Muller wouldn't start? That would seem insane to me given his WC history.