International Football Thread

LeeEvans

21 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Paolo Guerrero has been given an injunction against his extended doping ban that should allow him to play in the WC

I don't understand what he's appealing to be honest.

He failed a drugs test and had a pretty weak excuse. 

Meh. Seems to be sending out mixed messages.

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I can understand both sides. On one hand the media have blown is out of proportion, on the other how dumb do you have to be to get an M16 tattooed on your leg. There's a real lack of self awareness from Sterling even if it was meant with good intentions.

Just seems like an insane reaction to an, at worst, poorly throughout tattoo. People wanting him to apologize to gun death victims is utterly laughable. 

14 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Just seems like an insane reaction to an, at worst, poorly throughout tattoo. People wanting him to apologize to gun death victims is utterly laughable. 

Yeah it is irresponsible though. Whether he wants to be or not he's a figure kids will look up to, should have thought it through a bit better. There are other ways to pay tribute to a loved one

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I don't understand what he's appealing to be honest.

He failed a drugs test and had a pretty weak excuse. 

Meh. Seems to be sending out mixed messages.

All I can think off is that he's arguing that the extra 8 months of the ban imposed by CAS is manifestly unjust and that the 6 months he's already served as per FIFA is appropriate for his unintentional ingestion through tainted herbal tea

On 31/05/2018 at 6:38 PM, texans_uk said:

Yeah it is irresponsible though. Whether he wants to be or not he's a figure kids will look up to, should have thought it through a bit better. There are other ways to pay tribute to a loved one

Sterling is a target plain and simple. It’s just silly. The message and context behind it should just end this “controversy”. The tattoo is for him and it has a meaning to him. That’s all that matters. Any outside criticism is silly.

9 hours ago, ElReyDeLosReyes said:

Who do you guys have winning the World Cup?

Germany again, but wouldn't be surprised to see one of Spain, France or Brazil do it. 

On paper, Germany's team look even better than 2014, with Kimmich/Hector instead of Höwedes. They can return a MF of Khedira, Kroos, Ozil but also have Guündogan, Draxler and Reus fit this time. Schweinsteiger is a miss, but they can use Goretzka/Gündogan. Not to mention Leroy Sane who is unlike anything they had in 2014, and Julian Brandt another wide option. 

Scary.

But you could also say the same for Spain who can afford to leave out their top scorer of the qualifying campaign, have Koke, Saul and Asensio on the bench....argh.

If Pogba can play well, I think France could be better than Germany.

I'm not sure there would be a better team than a fully fit, well performing France.  A front line of Mbappe, Griezmann and Dembele is bloody scary and they've got heaps of versatility in each group of the squad

10 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

France will not win because of Deschamps. Germany, Spain or Brazil for me. 

There's something about France that just makes me think they can't or won't win it. 

Definitely seems like a European champion is likely. Also feels like the number of possible winners is lower than ever. Seems like there are about four nations that really have a chance. 

3 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

There's something about France that just makes me think they can't or won't win it. 

Definitely seems like a European champion is likely. Also feels like the number of possible winners is lower than ever. Seems like there are about four nations that really have a chance. 

I actually think there's up to 7 teams who could win it. Any of Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, France, Belgium or even Portugal.

27 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

he is/was pretty horrible playing for germany.

Bingo. I see a lot of people saying that leaving him out is crazy but that's solely on his performances in England. I think this was a good call by Low, Draxler is great for Germany and Brandt and Reus are in good form. 

• Like 1