2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

23 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

say we go DT @4... wonder if Hurst has trade value.... 

No good reason to trade a cheap, starting caliber player in Hurst. Good rotations are great to have on the defensive line.

The question is if the defensive tackles available at 4 or wherever the Raiders pick are definitely better prospects than other positions that may be available. I'm not so sure.

Also, quality DT is typically not a "rare" position to find throughout the draft. Typically, quality interior defensive lineman is a relative "dime a dozen" as opposed to a quality corner or edge rusher.

Tonight's game has a lot of guys the Raiders will be looking at, and certainly concerning all 3 of the Raiders' first rounders. 

A guy I'll be keeping a close eye on is Clemson safety/linebacker Isaiah Simmons. He's a redshirt sophomore, so it might be doubtful he declares, but he's one of the modern hybrid safety/linebacker types I'd like to see the Raiders consider using.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Rich pls.  I like most of your draft takes, but cmon man.

Tua is an elite QB prospect. I haven't really evaluated him, but he's simply a natural--the game comes easy to him.

And I'm a Carr fan and advocate.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

Tua is an elite QB prospect. I haven't really evaluated him, but he's simply a natural--the game comes easy to him.

And I'm a Carr fan and advocate.

He struggled in the georgia game. And has been the beneficiary of elite college level talent. He has NFL prospects at every position. That makes the game easy.

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He struggled in the georgia game. And has been the beneficiary of elite college level talent. He has NFL prospects at every position. That makes the game easy.

One of most accurate college qbs I've ever seen. Not all about the talent. He's just really damn good. 

Just now, roi34 said:

One of most accurate college qbs I've ever seen. Not all about the talent. He's just really damn good. 

I don't doubt it. But many nfl quarterbacks are accurate with clean pockets and open receivers. Context matters significantly. Luck didn't have close to Tua's efficiency, but who was the superior prospect coming out?

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's okay for a QB prospect to struggle. Remember Carr against USC in his final game? Remember Goff vs. Utah? Or Mahomes vs. West Virginia?

I don't count it against a player for playing with other NFL talent as long as their success is not a result of the disparity between his team's talent and the competition. And, ultimately, it's not Tua's success at Alabama that I'm worried about, but his actual talent to play quarterback.

Besides, many quarterbacks have had winning success at Bama but none have been starting level NFL players. Tua is different. It's not about the surrounding talent, it's about Tua's ability to make NFL reads and throws, respond to pressure, and do other quarterbacking things at a high level.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

It's okay for a QB prospect to struggle. Remember Carr against USC in his final game? Remember Goff vs. Utah? 

I don't count it against a player for playing with other NFL talent as long as their success is not a result of the disparity between his team's talent and the competition. And, ultimately, it's not Tua's success at Alabama that I'm worried about, but his actual talent to play quarterback.

Besides, many quarterbacks have had winning success at Bama but none have been starting level NFL players. Tua is different. It's not about the surrounding talent, it's about Tua's ability to make NFL reads and throws, respond to pressure, and do other quarterbacking things at a high level.

The difference is Carr was at fresno freaking state. USC had a better team all around. ANd carr was playing injured.

Cal had a garbage team as well.

I think tua is a solid  1st round prospect, but I'm not nearly enamored with many of these college qb's as you guys are.

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't doubt it. But many nfl quarterbacks are accurate with clean pockets and open receivers. Context matters significantly. Luck didn't have close to Tua's efficiency, but who was the superior prospect coming out?

You discount how tua played on biggest stage as freshman and is still only soph leading them to another national title game

Just now, roi34 said:

You discount how tua played on biggest stage as freshman and is still only soph leading them to another national title game

I'm looking at the player and situation. Mccarron had similar success. Not comparing them as players, but get real. Any even ok qb could lead this bama team to this stage. Jalen Hurts isn't an NFL prospect and he shredded georgia.

Archived