2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

5 hours ago, Dodo said:

Been thinking about this a while and I want input on why this shouldn't be done considering the Raiders' unique situation.

The formula for success is talented rookies on low-money deals and proven vets/superstars on higher ones. The rookies who are not quarterbacks or top 10 picks have no leash to develop since if they aren't proven by the time their rookie deal is over they get shipped out or hit FA. The Raiders have three first-round picks this year and at least two next year. Considering this capital, why not trade one of your firsts every year for a first the following draft as much as possible? IE trade one of the three first rounders this year for another next year, so that they have three first rounders again next year, and repeat again the following year and so forth.

The draft is such a crap shoot that you may as well get two first-round talents each year. If you hit on one and not the other then at least you get one contributor. If you hit on both then you get the production from both before having to decide which to keep when the deals are done. If you miss on both, then you at least have another two the next year and so on. Or you can use two to trade up for a talent you're really sold on and still have ammo the next year. 

In order to even get to this scenario you would need some horrible stars to align, but the Raiders are already over that. The only downside I can think of is that there may not always be suitors to trade, but in a league where the front office leashes are also getting shorter I feel there will always be someone itching to move up for one of the three slots. You would also have a substantially younger team, but you could use your cap for elite/very-good veterans to be your mentors/discipliners. 

I would do it, and would think this is what Gruden might be aiming for if it wasn't for other bonehead moves like the Bryant debacle. 

I feel the same. I thought that's what the Browns were doing. Then when they used all their picks I was like what? Come on you can keep a steady flow of top tier talent. I think it would be a lasting cycle that would bring huge benefits both to roster talent and cap management. Also don't forget in those trade backs to the next year you will almost always pick up a current year pick as well. And it can even be possible with lower picks. Say we are at 24 and AZ or the Niners or whoever wants into round 1. We get their third this ur and 1st next. Or say Dallas. They want their original one they give us the 2 this yr and 1st next. It could happen and I dont think it would ever really be hard to find a partner.

1 hour ago, BigD1123 said:

I feel the same. I thought that's what the Browns were doing. Then when they used all their picks I was like what? Come on you can keep a steady flow of top tier talent. I think it would be a lasting cycle that would bring huge benefits both to roster talent and cap management. Also don't forget in those trade backs to the next year you will almost always pick up a current year pick as well. And it can even be possible with lower picks. Say we are at 24 and AZ or the Niners or whoever wants into round 1. We get their third this ur and 1st next. Or say Dallas. They want their original one they give us the 2 this yr and 1st next. It could happen and I dont think it would ever really be hard to find a partner.

The Browns and the Vikings from years back were exactly what I was thinking of, but they too chose to simply use all the picks. Or at most only kept the cycle for a year. Even as a Raider fan those Manziel/Gilbert, Richardson/Weeden double-dips were cringeworthy to watch and shows just using the picks doesn't work on its own. Keeping the talent constantly flowing is exactly what I'd want out of it because you just never know. 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Nasir Adderley looks like a guy that's going to fly up draft boards. Might be worth a look with our 3rd first round pick or second round pick.

I like him but may be a little to close to Karl Joseph.  We would have two Safety's not able to cover TEs.  He looks like he has better hands then Joseph but not as good in the run game but very close.  Also his level of competition is low.  Made not make an immediate impact on defense but would on special teams.  I like him but would not use anything higher than a 3rd-4th unless he completely dominants in an all star game and does well at the combine/pro day.  Do you think him and Karl together could accomplish what Guenther wants out of his safetys?

2 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

th?id=OIP.0ZNN-B6ouG3jpFpKV7SNzgHaJL&pid

Fresno State had the third ranked defense in the nation. Sure the played in the mountain west but that doesn’t mean they don’t have talent. Also if you can get a guy like him in the 5th or 6th you’re getting a deal. 

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wonder about his actual speed. Reminds me of Marion barber. Very reliable 

Agreed his play speed looks good. 4.47 - 4.52 speed prob. Even if we trade back and third and take him

55 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Hey Raider fans, I assume there is no chance you guys take a QB in round 1 or 2 right?

If the Raiders where picking number one, no. At 4 there isn’t a clear cut  guy, if the front office and Gruden love a guy i could see them drafting someone. 

Archived