GDT [2ND TO LAST PRESEASON GAME and the Gators SUCK!!] - Oakland@Dallas

WizardHawk

46 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Not worried about Collins in the least. He's looked very good for most part and is a sizable upgrade over Free. 

He looks like Lane Jonson to me, when Lane was a little younger. Just a whole lot of athleticism, great feet, strong. Lane was more technical, La'el is more aggressive. 

22 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I don't know how anyone can watch Jaylon and think he's ready to be an every down linebacker

I thought he looked great. Maybe not 100%, but what issue do you have with him? That he was the only one there on his first running play so the guy got away from him? It happens.  In fact I think that was the same guy who blew off Sean Lee much worse. At least Jaylon held him in place for a second or two. Not his fault no one rallied to the ball.

Apart from that missed tackle, I don't see what anyone could complain about. Great play on the screen and read the reverse all the way.

20 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I watched the game after the fight, and only saw the first one before i fell asleep, but it didn't look like he actually connected with the dudes face. I t looked like he just pushed the dudes shoulder pads up. Or maybe Im wrong.

thought they were both weak calls, though the second one he actually did brush the guy's head while hand fighting, but it was pretty clearly redirected hand fighting and not a deliberate push to the face. The first one was just made up out of whole cloth, as were a couple of PIs we got, so, you know, refs gonna ref.

2 hours ago, Dirk Gently said:

I thought he looked great. Maybe not 100%, but what issue do you have with him? That he was the only one there on his first running play so the guy got away from him? It happens.  In fact I think that was the same guy who blew off Sean Lee much worse. At least Jaylon held him in place for a second or two. Not his fault no one rallied to the ball.

Apart from that missed tackle, I don't see what anyone could complain about. Great play on the screen and read the reverse all the way.

I just see a guy who's not all the way there physically, as far as planting and cutting, changing directions, pretty important stuff for an LB. His straight line speed is there but laterally, he looks a step slow.

The organization has basically said they're going to keep him in a sub-package role for now. Hopefully he's ready for every down work before Hitchens comes back, because I don't think we should expect the latter until Week 11/12-ish (8 weeks for the bone to heal + another 4-6 for rehab)

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I just see a guy who's not all the way there physically, as far as planting and cutting, changing directions, pretty important stuff for an LB. His straight line speed is there but laterally, he looks a step slow.

The organization has basically said they're going to keep him in a sub-package role for now. Hopefully he's ready for every down work before Hitchens comes back, because I don't think we should expect the latter until Week 11/12-ish (8 weeks for the bone to heal + another 4-6 for rehab)

Slow compared to what? I think the problem is we are comparing him to college Jaylon. He looked fast compared to almost any other LB in the league. He looked faster than Hitchens ever has in his entire career/\.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Slow compared to what? I think the problem is we are comparing him to college Jaylon. He looked fast compared to almost any other LB in the league. He looked faster than Hitchens ever has in his entire career/\.

Look if straight line speed were the only thing that mattered for Mike linebacker, he'd already be one of the best. It is a highly important aspect, of course, but I really don't see him planting and cutting off that foot very effectively yet, which is a huge concern in coverage, against counter runs, beating blockers, basically every component of the position.

I'll be happy to be wrong but I see who's going to get exploited early and often this year. Again, hopefully he settles in as an effective starter over the course of the year because it's hard to love our other options to pair with Lee.

9 hours ago, Dirk Gently said:

@matt79511So which pass was he out of position on? how badly did that reverse faze him? I'm not seeing the issues with lateral pursuit that you are...

He's played, what, 25 snaps in 2 preseason games? Time will tell. It's kind of a subjective assessment, honestly; I don't dispute that he covers ground every bit as quickly as any non-Lee LB on this team but he sure looks clunky doing it- more mechanical than fluid. If that's just who he is now, if he can do that for 60 snaps a game without wearing down or suffering a setback, I'll take it. But who knows

Archived