BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

1 hour ago, pheltzbahr said:

I actually went back to the 2017 Sheet where he is listed as 686/2, so he was not an RFA in 2018.

Just out of curiosity how was he acquired? His draft year was 2015, same as Diggs. They both had 4 year entry level contracts that they signed a 5 year extension. The only difference that may have happened is that Hunter was taken later in the BDL draft which would make sense but then he would be RFA/extension eligible sooner than Diggs.

16 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Just out of curiosity how was he acquired? His draft year was 2015, same as Diggs. They both had 4 year entry level contracts that they signed a 5 year extension. The only difference that may have happened is that Hunter was taken later in the BDL draft which would make sense but then he would be RFA/extension eligible sooner than Diggs.

12 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Also assuming that he still had time left on his deal somehow I'm still unclear how 1) he was able to use a 2019 3up or 2) he could 3up a player with years left on his deal.

The last roster sheet I have is from 2016, and Diggs had 2 years at 629/year left on his BDL deal and Hunter had 3 years at 686/year left on his deal. 

14 minutes ago, Jlash said:

The last roster sheet I have is from 2016, and Diggs had 2 years at 629/year left on his BDL deal and Hunter had 3 years at 686/year left on his deal. 

The only thing I can think of is that Hunter was picked with a 4 year deal slot  and Diggs with a 3 yr deal in the draft.  We used to have 3 yr deals at the end of the draft.

Edited by pheltzbahr

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Both were drafted in 2015 in the NFL and BDL.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mUSjSAALn2-OGGYJF3PBSHCFBHgugRI9jcyNYJ0HaxY/edit#gid=1443509241

In the BDL, I drafted Hunter in the 4th round (4.15) and players drafted in rounds 2-4 have 4 year deals.

Diggs was drafted in the BDL 5th round (5.3) and rounds 5-7 have 3 year contracts intentionally to feed into the BDL RFA system.

So that is why Diggs was a BDL RFA in 2018 and Hunter was not.

The reason Diggs was not extendable last season was because he already had a status of Signed as an RFA and couldn't be resigned to another contract per our BDL rules. So getting rid of Year round 3 ups isn't going to solve that problem. What will is allowing anyone that is signed on a 1 year contract to be eligible for a 3 Up if you have the cap space and they sign an extension IRL during the summer. That's what I will be proposing during the Summer Owners Meetings Revision of the rules.

Edited by SirA1

45 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

The only thing I can think of is that Hunter was picked with a 4 year deal slot  and Diggs with a 3 yr deal in the draft.  We used to have 3 yr deals at the end of the draft.

We still do have 3 year deals in rounds 5-7. Mostly to give owners an out on guys that don't pan out as those rounds are a total crap shoot both IRL and the BDL. But also to make it so there are at least a few guys in RFA available each year.

Now one of the other things I am proposing during the Summer Owners Meetings is a reduction in rounds for the draft to 5 rounds total. At that point they could all be 4 year deals and we just roll with the current 5th year option rules we have. Instead of rounds 6-7 I think adding another round of PFA Scramble (3 total) should help owners make better decisions on players after knowing where they go IRL. We could even make PFA picks tradable like Comp Picks are now in the NFL.

This would still give us a reasonable RFA pool because all those PFA's would go through the ERFA/RFA system like PFA's do now.

Edited by SirA1

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

Now one of the other things I am proposing during the Summer Owners Meetings is a reduction in rounds for the draft to 5 rounds total. At that point they could all be 4 year deals and we just roll with the current 5th year option rules we have. Instead of rounds 6-7 I think adding another round of PFA Scramble (3 total) should help owners make better decisions on players after knowing where they go IRL. We could even make PFA picks tradable like Comp Picks are now in the NFL

This would have to be a change (if ever voted in) to put into place years from now, because it's a huge change.

Trade Block: 

As for whether Patrick Mahomes is available, I'll listen to offers but it's gonna be hard to trade a QB on his rookie contract who won an MVP in his 2nd season.

RB    LeSean McCoy    Portland Horned Owls    $3,200    1 - 7th.
RB    Peyton Barber    Portland Horned Owls    $500    1 - 5th.
WR    Allen Hurns    Portland Horned Owls    $2,735    2 - 7th.
WR    Davante Adams    Portland Horned Owls    $4,000    4 - 1st+ Change, more than likely not going to be traded.
WR    John Ross    Portland Horned Owls    $3,775    3 - Not for trade
WR    Martavis Bryant    Portland Horned Owls    $3,570    4 - Free to good home.
WR    Mohamed Sanu    Portland Horned Owls    $3,101    3 - 5th.
WR    Pharoh Cooper    Portland Horned Owls    $735    1 - 7th.
WR    Tyler Boyd    Portland Horned Owls    $1,150    1 - 2nd.
TE    Charles Clay    Portland Horned Owls    $4,040    2 - Free to good home.
TE    David Njoku    Portland Horned Owls    $3,035    3 - Any pick higher than 2.12
OT    Jason Spriggs    Portland Horned Owls    $2,690    1 - 7th.
OT    Kelvin Beachum    Portland Horned Owls    $3,200    1 - 4th.
OT    Laremy Tunsil    Portland Horned Owls    $6,100    2 - Not for trade.
OT    Will Holden    Portland Horned Owls    $651    1 - Free.
OG    Clint Boling    Portland Horned Owls    $4,420    1 - Not for trade.
OG    Joe Dahl    Portland Horned Owls    $501    2 - Free.
OG    Josh Sitton    Portland Horned Owls    $4,750    1 - 4th
OG    Will Hernandez    Portland Horned Owls    $1,475    3 - Not for trade.
OC    Ben Jones    Portland Horned Owls    $4,375    1 - Not for trade.
OC    Matt Paradis    Portland Horned Owls    $3,500    2 - not for trade.
EDGE    DaQuan Jones    Portland Horned Owls    $501    1 - 4th.
EDGE    Jason Pierre-Paul    Portland Horned Owls    $5,668    3 - Not for trade.
EDGE    Shaquil Barrett    Portland Horned Owls    $2,500    1 - 7th.
EDGE    Telvin Smith    Portland Horned Owls    $9,605    3 - Not for trade.
INT    David Parry    Portland Horned Owls    $501    1 - 1st.
INT    Kawann Short    Portland Horned Owls    $13,600    3 - 1st.
LB    Vince Williams    Portland Horned Owls    $834    2 - 4th.
CB    Desmond Trufant    Portland Horned Owls    $13,750    4 - Not for trade.
CB    Jason McCourty    Portland Horned Owls    $2,125    1 - 7th.
CB    Mackensie Alexander    Portland Horned Owls    $3,625    2 - 7th.
CB    Nate Hairston    Portland Horned Owls    $500    1 - 7th.
CB    Vernon Hargreaves    Portland Horned Owls    $4,750    2 - Free to good home.
S    Glover Quin    Portland Horned Owls    $5,525    1 - Will listen.
S    Malcolm Jenkins    Portland Horned Owls    $4,034    2 - Will listen.

Edited by SwoleXmad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm curious to this break down because its essentially what I was trying to do (or should have done?) with Diggs and I just want to get it right for next time. Its frustrating because Diggs has been tagged for me as a 3up candidate since before last draft but using a 2019 3up in 2018 doesn't seem like it should be allowed?

OK Here's Hunters Spotrac profile. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/danielle-hunter-16812/

Using BDL terms, in 2018 Hunter signed a 5 Year contract extension for $72K. They tore up his contract and paid him the same as the last year of his Rookie deal in 2018 of $1.907M and he got a $15M signing bonus in 2018. So his total contract was actually 6 years $73.907K. 

Per BDL rules I had to sign him to a 3 up in the 2018 season in order to take advantage of that 6 year contract (Pheltz rule). If I didn't then I could only sign him based off his 5 year extension. 5 years/$72K. Which is the situation you are in with Diggs.

So I signed him to a 6 year deal at $9,239/year or $55,434 total . (75% of $73,1907) I had to use the higher of his RL contract ($1,907) or BDL contract ($686) to get that number.

If I had waited until 2019 to 3 Up him the numbers look like this.

5 Years at $10,800/year for a $54,000 total. (75% of $72,000)

Comparing those two contracts Hunter is actually making more in the long run the way I resigned him.

6 year deal = $55,434 total

5 year total + BDL Rookie deal = $54,686 total

What I did was take a huge cap hit of $8,553 more than I needed to in 2018 to get about a $1,600/yr savings over years 2-6 of the deal.

I budgeted for that as I knew I was going to have to pay the highest QB (at the time Jimmy G) and the highest INT (Donald) this year as well. Although now it's going to likely be the highest paid RB this year (Bell) instead and the highest paid QB (Rodgers) next year.

In the end with the new 1 year trailing the NFL Cap rule we have it likely won't make that much of a difference as everyone will have plenty of cap space.

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

This would have to be a change (if ever voted in) to put into place years from now, because it's a huge change.

2020 would be fine. It's not that much of a change really if you think about it. You are in reality just not drafting 16 players that would all be available in the Shark tank.

7 rounds + 2 PFA rounds

5 rounds + 3 PFA rounds

If anyone has traded future 6th-7th round picks all you do is have a few extra comp picks at the end of round 5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

If anyone has traded future 6th-7th round picks all you do is have a few extra comp picks at the end of round 5.

Nahhhh I think you'd have to make it beyond when any picks have been traded to be fair. 

edit: Not a bad idea though overall.

Edited by Jlash

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Nahhhh I think you'd have to make it beyond when any picks have been traded to be fair. 

It is no different than when we contracted and teams had picks from the two teams being contracted that they still got to pick in those rounds. Or you could easily extrapolate the switches with PFA1, PFA2, PFA3 round picks.