BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

13 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I think in a lot of cases character concerns are overblown, but Rosen straight up seems like a massive jackass and it's very plausible that no-one in the locker room will like him. It's not like A-Rod where being that much of a jackass is passable because you're one of the best to ever play the game. 

Character issues aside, I think he was pretty clearly the 4th best QB in that class after Mayfield, Darnold and Allen. There's a reason why Arizona are considering moving on from him after one year, and it's not just because of Murray as a prospect. 

Can you link me to something regarding how he was liked in Arizona's locker room?

edit: It probably doesn't have anything to do with hiring a coach who was infatuated with Murray while they were in college, and now has the shot to take him.

Edited by Jlash

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I'm trying to remind myself of all the fun I thought I'd have if I took a team in BDL...

It is fun, you're doing fine. This is the first year we've traded PFA picks so there are kinks to work out.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

How can it become more fun for you? Serious question 

Probably can't if I'm being completely honest.  I went against my Golden Rule and inherited (took over) a team that had almost not real trade value and made it worse, yeah that's my fault.  I've already put one guy on ignore over trade discussions (just can't receive his messages).  So..yeah there's that.  Just in a miserable spot right now.  Next season when I let 25 of my players walk, i might be in a better mood.

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Probably can't if I'm being completely honest.  I went against my Golden Rule and inherited (took over) a team that had almost not real trade value and made it worse, yeah that's my fault.  I've already put one guy on ignore over trade discussions (just can't receive his messages).  So..yeah there's that.  Just in a miserable spot right now.  Next season when I let 25 of my players walk, i might be in a better mood.

I like the way you are accumulating those 2020 picks back. You’ll be fine

Rosen has a lot of learning to do but he wasn't the problem last year. We were decimated by injuries offensively, using 10 different O-line combinations. Our stupid Front Office also brought in 2 Vets (Bradford and Glennon) so honestly given the restricted practice snaps counts in place nowadays I'm even sure how many practice snaps Rosen saw! Once he finally saw the field he made some stupid throws yes (as expected for a rookie) but he also did some great stuff and had a good rapport going with Christian Kirk until we also lost Kirk for the season.

The coaching last season was also abysmal. We took some flack for getting rid of the HC after one year but the play calling on offence was so uninspiring it was quite frankly pathetic. We fired Mike McCoy and hired Byron Leftwich who quite frankly wasn't much better and also got his marching orders at the end of the year. A perfect example of this ineptitude is the following stat. 'The Cardinals ran David Johnson up the middle 156 times in 2018. To put things into perspective, Zeke was 2nd with 89 carries up the middle.' To put that in perspective we ran 902 offensive plays, that means that 17.3% of our total plays were Johnson runs up the middle or as a fraction more than 1/6 lol. Unsurprisingly we were last in the league in points, first downs per game and most other offensive categories.

To compound this our inept front office (which has clung onto its jobs despite a pathetic draft history and off field incidents that HAVE seen players lose their jobs) decided to play a stupid game of chicken in an attempt to trade out of the #1 slot. Instead of embracing the franchise's first #1 pick since 1958 and encouraging fans about the future of the team, they have created huge uncertainty INTENTIONALLY around what was supposed to be the future of our team. I feel reasonably confident that we will not take Kyler Murray on draft day and will go Nick Bosa but still seem to think some team will be stupid enough to trade a ransom to come and get Murray, which will not happen. All we have done is created a huge, stupid story and more pressure on a coach, who frankly shouldn't be coaching in the NFL, and a young QB who honestly has a reasonably bad rap that is mostly media driven (I mean what specifically can you remember Rosen doing / saying without using a media source to describe it?).

In summary, Rosen is actually still a good, young prospect...but he's going to be ruined by our stupid FA and coaching staff. Hopefully they will be gone by 2021 so we have a chance to reset, although then we probably will get offers and trade out of the #1 pick because we are dumb.

(Rant over, sorry)

• Like 1