BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

15 hours ago, Taylor091 said:

Anchorage

1st Rnd / Pick 6 - Anchorage Wolves select *Ed Oliver - DT – Houston- Oliver was my number 2 player in this draft after Williams. I was excited to get him here. Although I matches Hungary’s offer on Hargrave I still wanted to add this beast. Reed has one year left on his deal and Vea still needs to prove himself so adding Oliver will help up front if I trade or let Reed walk and Vea doesn’t step up. Oliver has the explosiveness to be used on stunts with my ends and allow for different pressure packages. He will not be misused at NT by Anchorage but will be a 3 Tech.               

1st Rnd / Pick 8 - Anchorage Wolves select *Dwayne Haskins Jr. - QB - Ohio State - I trust what I see on film from Haskins and my ability to evaluate. There is a play against Purdue that sums up what Haskins can do. On a 3rd and 11 he drops back evades a rusher while reading progressions steps up and takes a lick from another rusher while delivering a perfect ball 12 yards down the field for the first down. I traded Taven and I think that will come back to be a mistake but I think I got this right with Haskins, obviously I do because I traded up for him. Time will tell. Haskins was actually 9th on my BB but I believe if you believe a QB is a franchise guy you go up and get him. 

2nd Rnd / Pick 10 - Anchorage Wolves select Garrett Bradbury - C - NC State- I wanted stability in the middle of my oline. Bradbury fits perfectly for my primarily ZBS and I didn’t want to risk losing him so I paid a price to go get him. Honestly I was planning on taking him at 17. He was the 13th ranked player on my board. I traded 17 down though and gained some capital. I saw he was in a spot I felt good about going up and getting him and I did it.                

2nd Rnd / Pick 12 - Anchorage Wolves select *Noah Fant - TE – Iowa- If Oliver was gone I was taking Hockenson at 6. I want to incorporate two TE sets heavily into this offense. Seeing Fant available at 28 allowed me to do this. Fant is an underrated blocker and a dynamic athlete. I have Kittle but he has one year left before RFA and who knows if I’ll lose him or not want to pay a heavy contract in two years. Fant is insurance there as well. Plus he was 15th on my BB          

3rd Rnd / Pick 3 - Anchorage Wolves select *NKeal Harry - WR - Arizona State- This was an easy pick for me. I needed WR help and he was 27th on my board. So I went and got a player to pair with my young WR trio. 

3rd Rnd / Pick 4 - Anchorage Wolves select Dalton Risner - OT - Kansas State- Risner was 33rd on my BB. I needed Oline help and I wanted that help on the right side. I believe Risner is a versatile player who can really help me solidify the right side of my line. 

3rd Rnd / Pick 11 - Anchorage Wolves select *Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - FS - Florida- CGJ was the 28th player on my board. Yes I took Risner before him but because I saw how many safeties I liked that were still on the board. I wanted to get my top S remaining at this spot so I moved up for him. 

3rd Rnd / Pick 15 - Anchorage Wolves select *Justin Layne - CB - Michigan State- Layne was 38th on my board. However the more I watched of him as I continued to watch film throughout the draft going on the more I liked him as a first round grade. My three top corners are all on two year contracts and I really needed to bring in depth here and a future starter. I gave up what will likely be pick 17 since everyone is projecting me to be the worst team. I won’t argue with them there. So the price was high, (although I gained a second in my trade down from 17) but if Layne can develop into the player I think he can it may be worth it. 

5th Rnd / Pick 9 - Anchorage Wolves select *Julian Love - CB - Notre Dame- So I traded what will likely be pick 33 in 2020 for the next two picks. I really like Love and believe he can be a great slot corner. In this league that is a starter. He has the skill set to be a playmaker in my secondary. 46th on my BB.

5th Rnd / Pick 10 - Anchorage Wolves select Christian Miller - OLB - Alabama- This is where still scouting during the draft again is an example of hurting myself here. I had already watched Miller when I set my board. There were several other higher ranked players on my board. But I was blinded by the potential and picked Miller here. I regretted this pick instantly. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think this works out. So I essentially took Love with pick 33 in 2020. Blown opportunity.    

5th Rnd / Pick 11 - Anchorage Wolves select *Sean Bunting - CB - Central Michigan- Bunting has the athletic profile and length I wanted from my outside corners. He has some areas to improve on as do all rookies coming in but I really like his game. He was 88 on my board before the draft started. But he is a personal favorite in the class so I went off board here. 

7th Rnd / Pick 4 - Anchorage Wolves select *Joe Jackson - DE - Miami (FL)- A potential player here. Was productive at Miami showed some good things on film. Needs refinement but won’t be asked to come in and contribute early on for Anchorage barring injury. 69 on my big board.                      

7th Rnd / Pick 9 - Anchorage Wolves select Dru Samia - OG - Oklahoma- 4 year starter has seen it all. 48 starts in his career. Experience in a zone scheme and a nasty demeanor. Really like the attitude and technique he plays with. Not the best athlete but I think he is going to be a 10 year starter in the league. Was 71 on my big board.                          

7th Rnd / Pick 11 - Anchorage Wolves select Ben Burr-Kirven - ILB - Washington- I love BBK. He remind me a lot of Jayon Brown who I picked up in the shark tank his rookie year and recently traded away in a deal to get Boyd. He doesn’t play in the backfield as much as Jayon but it just as good if not better in coverage and has great instincts. The athletic testing was impressive. I think he will be a steal. 3rd down and nickel contributor early on. 80 on my big board           

7th Rnd / Pick 12 - Anchorage Wolves select *Dawson Knox - TE - Mississippi- Knox has a boat load of potential and with Kittle and Fant on board this wasn’t a need. But he is rumored to possibly go in the 2nd/early 3rd round range and the value was great here. If he pans out this is another TE steal in the 7th for me. 100 on my big board. Lower because of injuries. But I’ll roll the dice here.

Gains: 2020 2nd(WIL) ; 2020 4th; 2020 5th(OKC) ; 2020 7th(LOU)

Lost: DT Taven Bryan ; 2020 2nd; 2020 3rd

Summary;

Anchorage clearly took a liking to this draft, manoeuvring their way to 15 picks! Somehow the net pick gains and losses really cancel each other out so Anchorage did a very nice job getting guys they wanted without mortgaging the future. Defensive line was this team’s strength but value was too tempting to pass up early in the draft as they snapped up uber-talented Oliver #6. It looked like the draft was about to get some much needed focus on offense with a run of 5 straight picks on that side of the ball. The only surprise is that given the number of picks another WR or interior OL was not selected over the 4 DB picks in rounds 3-5.

Favourite Pick: N’Keal Harry (3.3) – My WR1 is the 5thto come off the board.

Least Liked Pick: Dwayne Haskins (1.8) – Gave up a promising young player and used a very high pick on a QB with one year of production in a QB friendly system.

Grade:

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Taylor091 said:

Cuba’s move to turn a 2ndthis year into a 1 next should really pay off in the future. There is clearly a type of player that Cuba likes early in the draft which is seen looking at the picks above and their roster. The strategy of taking uber-athletic players for their positions definitely has high upside but also comes with a level of risk. Cuba seemed to deviate from the strategy a little once they got to the end of the draft, before going back to it for their last pick. I don’t think Cuba is going to get a lot of future contributions from this group but then in this class I’m not sure they ever expected to.

Too much PFF if you dislike Gary. At 2.7, you can do a lot worse.

Jenkins + Jordan are guys that we expect to contribute. Justice Hill was a three year bell cow at Oklahoma State. I like David Long a lot, and inspite of his stature has potential to play outside. Joejuan is going to be fun to project, but he’s a nice alternative to the fast press guy that we can put on players Long may have issues with.

I am taking a new approach to trades. If they are not listed as a rookie, didn't resign them as a 3up/rfa, or are not listed as my untouchables, they are 100% available for trade.  Make an offer. Don't ask me my price, make an offer.  Can't comprehend that? You probably shouldn't pm me then.

• Like 1

WSR Trading Block

QB Ben Roethlisberger

RB Davonta Freeman

RB LeSean McCoy

WR Keelan Cole

TE Jimmy Graham

TE Vance McDonald

TE Luke Wilson

OG Dan Feeney

C Cody Whitehair

C JC Tretter

Int Jonathan Bullard

Int Davon Godchaux

LB Kiko Alonzo

LB Shaq Barrett

LB D'onta Hightower

LB Noah Spence

LB Reggie Ragland

LB Vic Beasley

CB Vernon Hargreaves

I am willing to package some of these players together and I'm not necessarily looking for a killing however when you start getting decimated by injuries just keep in mind the prices for all of the above players goes way up

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

It will be 2.5 weeks before anything likely happens. After that it will likely be a month before FA starts. After that it will be 2 months before anything happens. Enjoy these little breaks. The season is a long haul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

Too much PFF if you dislike Gary. At 2.7, you can do a lot worse

I'm surprised he was there at 2.7. I considered him at 2.3 but I just can't risk a team keeping him as a full time edge when he needs to be moved inside full time. I can't roster 2 Solomon's.

Just now, Jlash said:

I'm surprised he was there at 2.7. I considered him at 2.3 but I just can't risk a team keeping him as a full time edge when he needs to be moved inside full time. I can't roster 2 Solomon's.

Yeah the issue with Gary is he doesnt use his hands well. Idk if, in the NFL, he is gonna win a lot of battles at the line. He has Dallas written all over him.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah the issue with Gary is he doesnt use his hands well. Idk if, in the NFL, he is gonna win a lot of battles at the line. He has Dallas written all over him.

He can work on his hands, to me the issue is lack of bend for a guy who may be used on the edge full time.

10 hours ago, Taylor091 said:

Gotham ...    

Summary:

The biggest get of this draft class for Gotham was WR Tyreek Hill who brings a dynamic threat to their offense. I wonder in a mulligan if Gotham would choose to be more aggressive in the earlier rounds as their draft class feels a little underwhelming and they missed out on some of the top OL prospects where I think they had their greatest need. The guys that they took should provide good depth though they may want to flip McGary and Evans’ designations.

Fair enough, but I disagree on the O Line, as I will be upping Jake Matthews and Shaq Mason.

Aside from bagging Reek with my 1st, I turned my 2nd into Chris Jones.  Wasn't in love with the "top end" of this draft outside of 3 or 4 who I had no chance of getting.  Seeing who was available at 1.8 made me very happy with my strategy.

12 minutes ago, Jlash said:

He can work on his hands, to me the issue is lack of bend for a guy who may be used on the edge full time.

He projects as a high end run defender on the edge immediately. The pass rush will find itself but we’ll find out when the pads come on.