Moretti's 2019 Mock

moretti19

Not sure how realistic FA is. Don’t think we’ll be able to draw in that many big names. I like the additions though.

I really like Oliver the talent, not so sure how well he fits Pettine’s system. Seems like a more athletic Mike Daniels. 

I really like the idea of adding a TE in the early rounds, especially in the Lafleur/Shanahan style system.. Irv Smith is right there with Fant as my favorite TE prospect. 

I also like adding a Safety early. Not sure how I feel about adding Simmons though. Seems like his role would be redundant with Josh Jones/Oren Burks on the roster. Do we need another in the box SS/LB hybrid? I’m a fan of Adderly out of Deleware, Juan Thornhill out of Virginia, and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson our of Florida. 

Gustin is intriguing. It’ll be interesting to see how he does at the combine.

I’m a fan of adding a talented RB in the mid rounds. Don’t know a ton about Holyfield other than that he was a highly touted prospect.

I like the two Maryland prospects. A former LT who moves to G fits the Packers profile. The safety is talented but a little undersized. Could be our new Micah Hyde.

Can’t say I know much about the other prospects. Positions make sense though.

Nice job overall.

I'm ready to declare Jones a miss based on what we have seen over the last two years. Burks still could emerge, but this year was not impressive in any way, therefore we still need someone to pair with Martinez, ideally someone better and more athletic than Martinez.

Sorry about the family emergency, throw you on my pray list.  Like the mock, different names and different point of view.  Look, we are always going to get the members that only want to see things their way, but it's good to throw out different ideas.  IMHO, nobody but Gutes and the Packers them selves know who they will take and why.  So, keep it coming with the new looks.  I like what iffs.  Peace out!

I don't understand the Ed Oliver love.   He is very small for an interior DL, and only averaged 4.5 sacks per year.  I would expect even less by way of sacks given he played in the AAC.  Its a big jump from the SEC to the NFL.  An even bigger one from a smaller conference.

If he is going to work out, it seems it would have to be as a gap penetrating DT a 4-3.  Not sure where he would fit in GB.

First and foremost, I like Eric Reid the player and I support his political sentiment. However, the latter won't wash for a second in conservative Green Bay; hate saying it, but that's reality. We certainly need to reload at Safety, however. As for the rest of the FA speculation, I really like the direction you went especially because all four of those guys are logical, but I don't see Barr leaving the Vikings at all; in fact, I bet he gets a fat deal from them. Doubt Golden Taint leaves Philly as well. LOVE the idea of bringing Ramon Foster in as well; he brings some size and some nasty to this team.

This is directed at some other posters here who've commented: I'm not buying the argument that Oliver is too small. 6-3, 290...really folks? Why don't you just say what you really mean(some have of course): he played for a smaller school, played against sub-par talent(allegedly), and that you want someone two inches taller. Mike Daniels came in at 6', 280; how has that worked out? That said, I'd rather have Jachai Polite, Josh Allen, or the almight Clelin Ferrell if any of them are at 12. I think one of them will be as things stand at this point in time.

Big fan of the Smith and Simmons though Simmons still needs to declare. Not a fan of Porter Gustin however. He gets stood up too quickly, washed out of the play by double teams consistently, and can't win the leverage game. Holyfield's coming back to school so we'll plug Benny Snell in that position as the two are similar backs. I like the rest as well, but not a fan of the very last pick simply because 4.56 speed isn't going to wash in the NFL unless you're Richard Sherman. We don't need a shorter LaDarius Gunter out there...

Just now, Joe said:

This is directed at some other posters here who've commented: I'm not buying the argument that Oliver is too small. 6-3, 290...really folks? Why don't you just say what you really mean(some have of course): he played for a smaller school, played against sub-par talent(allegedly), and that you want someone two inches taller. Mike Daniels came in at 6', 280; how has that worked out? That said, I'd rather have Jachai Polite, Josh Allen, or the almight Clelin Ferrell if any of them are at 12. I think one of them will be as things stand at this point in time.

If Ed Oliver shows up at 6'3" and 290+ lbs and shows movement skills at the combine I'll change my tune.

It looks to me more like 6'1" and 275 lbs.  So yes -  I do want someone bigger for our defense.  I also want someone who manages more than 4.5 sacks per year against lower level competition.

As far as Mike Daniels goes, I happen to think he is an extremely over rated player in Packer land.   He is much more an average DT than an exceptional one.  He doesn't get consistent pressure against the pass, is an average run stuffer, and has been getting hurt too often recently.   I think people remember the Seattle game of 2 years ago where he was special and assign that as a regular occurrence rather than the 1 time special game that it really was.

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

If Ed Oliver shows up at 6'3" and 290+ lbs and shows movement skills at the combine I'll change my tune.

It looks to me more like 6'1" and 275 lbs.  So yes -  I do want someone bigger for our defense.  I also want someone who manages more than 4.5 sacks per year against lower level competition.

As far as Mike Daniels goes, I happen to think he is an extremely over rated player in Packer land.   He is much more an average DT than an exceptional one.  He doesn't get consistent pressure against the pass, is an average run stuffer, and has been getting hurt too often recently.   I think people remember the Seattle game of 2 years ago where he was special and assign that as a regular occurrence rather than the 1 time special game that it really was.

It was more than just that Seattle game. He's been down the last two years, I'll definitely give you that, but to say he's been overrated the entire time he's been a Packer is and out and out lie.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

First and foremost, I like Eric Reid the player and I support his political sentiment. However, the latter won't wash for a second in conservative Green Bay; hate saying it, but that's reality. We certainly need to reload at Safety, however. As for the rest of the FA speculation, I really like the direction you went especially because all four of those guys are logical, but I don't see Barr leaving the Vikings at all; in fact, I bet he gets a fat deal from them. Doubt Golden Taint leaves Philly as well. LOVE the idea of bringing Ramon Foster in as well; he brings some size and some nasty to this team.

Big fan of the Smith and Simmons though Simmons still needs to declare. Not a fan of Porter Gustin however. He gets stood up too quickly, washed out of the play by double teams consistently, and can't win the leverage game. Holyfield's coming back to school so we'll plug Benny Snell in that position as the two are similar backs. I like the rest as well, but not a fan of the very last pick simply because 4.56 speed isn't going to wash in the NFL unless you're Richard Sherman. We don't need a shorter LaDarius Gunter out there...

Daniels was 291 at his pro day.  And to be honest has looked pedestrian in this set. He can really only play one of the 3 positions on the line (coincidentally the same one that Oliver would only be able to play.)

Oliver is not 6'3 290, not even close he's probably 6'1 285 or close. 

Just now, Joe said:

It was more than just that Seattle game. He's been down the last two years, I'll definitely give you that, but to say he's been overrated the entire time he's been a Packer is and out and out lie.

People can disagree without being a liar.  Twisting words to come back with that response was pretty childish.    What people thought of Daniels 5 years ago doesn't matter.   He is being over rated now. 

He is more a rotational player than a stud to be counted on to turn a defense around.   In the right role he does have real value.  He needs to have his number of downs limited.  He is not Kenny Clark.

34 minutes ago, Joe said:

Tha is for the write up! I agree with almost all that you said. I LOVE Snell just think he will be gone in the 2nd or 3rd. I think Guating has a good first step and from what I see sets a good edge.

Archived