2019 free agency targets

AZBearsFan

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

For me Yeldon is a guy who come in as a backup for both a lead back due to his size and ability to carry the load & a 3rd down back for his hands...no one will see him as a starter so he would be cheap.

Based on production I would guess that he gets 3-4/season, maybe a little less like 2.75 or something like that.

I would be okay with that, he catches the ball well, but my guess is that would be the top end of what they invest in the RB spot in terms of cap dollars.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

For me Yeldon is a guy who come in as a backup for both a lead back due to his size and ability to carry the load & a 3rd down back for his hands...no one will see him as a starter so he would be cheap.

I’d be good with that but suspect he may find a bigger role elsewhere as the primary COP guy. 

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Phil Dorsett is an interesting name, but my guess is he looks for a role bigger than 4/5 here in Chicago.

Chuck was his coach so maybe that connection helps.

Bellamy will be re-signed an as much as it kills me to say, he deserves to be back.

Not saying you’re wrong, and Bellamy was certainly much better this year than in the past, but that still equated to a 14/117/1 stat line. Wims is likely to see an expanded reps in 2019 and take those targets too. Bellamy’s most redeeming qualities this year were, in order:

1- His Instagram stories gave us a ton of behind the scenes into the team 

2- Adequate ST player 

3- He was not Kevin White

To me he’s only back if we can’t find a better fit for that role. He’s still a fringe roster guy with no elite skills entering his age 30 season in whom there is no upside. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not saying you’re wrong, and Bellamy was certainly much better this year than in the past, but that still equated to a 14/117/1 stat line. Wims is likely to see an expanded reps in 2019 and take those targets too. Bellamy’s most redeeming qualities this year were, in order:

1- His Instagram stories gave us a ton of behind the scenes into the team 

2- Adequate ST player 

3- He was not Kevin White

To me he’s only back if we can’t find a better fit for that role. He’s still a fringe roster guy with no elite skills entering his age 30 season in whom there is no upside. 

They love him like a son.

Just now, dll2000 said:

You've got 28 million in cap space now for 2019 with Floyd signed and cutting Acho and Sims.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/chicago-bears/2019/

You absolutely need a starting K, OT and back up TE.   Those are 3 must signs because you don't have them.  

You need a RB, G, NCB, and S via draft. FA or UDFA.

Actually 26.7 not 28 million because you have to cut Parkey.

We are going to really have to look at some guys who could use a change of scenery and that will come a little cheaper.

Aaron Lynch would be a good example of the guys we need to look at. 

We have an upper tier OL and DL coach and the D staff seems to be shaping up nicely.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My #1 priority is Bryce Callahan.

If the Bears are going to be more aggressive and blitz more we need 3 strong CBs and Callahan is good in man and is an excellent blitzer.

My problem with Callahan is his health...doesn't matter if your a great player if you can't stay on the field and that massively should be factored into our offer.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

My problem with Callahan is his health...doesn't matter if your a great player if you can't stay on the field and that massively should be factored into our offer.

I think his size and health will bring his number down. I expect we can keep him for 6/season where as top NBs are getting upwards of 8 and change.

I think 3 years 16-18 million seems fair.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think his size and health will bring his number down. I expect we can keep him for 6/season where as top NBs are getting upwards of 8 and change.

I think 3 years 16-18 million seems fair.

You think he’s taking that much less than what Aaron Colvin got last year (4/34) after missing 16 games combined over 2 of his first 4 seasons? In a league where every team wants 3 good corners and basically none have 3? I’d keep him at your numbers too - I just don’t think that’s gonna happen. Especially as a guy who came into the league as a UDFA. 

What he provides is a hot commodity, and there are a dozen teams that need a player with his skill set who will have twice our cap space. This is the same league where we projected all offseason last year that we’d get Albert Wilson for like 4/16 and he got $8M per with a 60% guarantee. 

We've known all along that once we reached this point we weren’t going to be able to keep all our guys. At least with Callahan we already have an in-house candidate under contract next year (and McManis played really well btw). Personally, I’d roll that money elsewhere and expect a 4-5 as a comp pick in 2020. I wish we could keep everyone. But for the good of the franchise long term we also have to rely upon our drafting and player development too. Looking strictly long term, it makes more sense to me to roll that money into an extension for Cody Whitehair, who is clearly a lynch pin for the future of our interior OL. 3rd corner is important, especially in the modern NFL. It’s not as important as interior OL stability in front of a young QB though. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You think he’s taking that much less than what Aaron Colvin got last year (4/34) after missing 16 games combined over 2 of his first 4 seasons? In a league where every team wants 3 good corners and basically none have 3? I’d keep him at your numbers too - I just don’t think that’s gonna happen. Especially as a guy who came into the league as a UDFA. 

What he provides is a hot commodity, and there are a dozen teams that need a player with his skill set who will have twice our cap space. This is the same league where we projected all offseason last year that we’d get Albert Wilson for like 4/16 and he got $8M per with a 60% guarantee. 

We've known all along that once we reached this point we weren’t going to be able to keep all our guys. At least with Callahan we already have an in-house candidate under contract next year (and McManis played really well btw). Personally, I’d roll that money elsewhere and expect a 4-5 as a comp pick in 2020. I wish we could keep everyone. But for the good of the franchise long term we also have to rely upon our drafting and player development too. Looking strictly long term, it makes more sense to me to roll that money into an extension for Cody Whitehair, who is clearly a lynch pin for the future of our interior OL. 3rd corner is important, especially in the modern NFL. It’s not as important as interior OL stability in front of a young QB though. 

I think the Callahan issue is not the health, but his size. He does not really have the ability to kick outside like Colvin who is 3" taller.

Colvin is really a bit of an outlier in the nickelback market. 6 million is top money for the spot outside of that one deal.

Archived