Raiders Defense

Rolni

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming the rookie is a first round pick like Henderson or Terrell it could be an average group. We swung and missed on CB in free agency so we're going to have a super young room regardless. Lawson and Joyner are both experienced so we just have to hope that Mullen can make a leap, an early round pick rookie is ready to play, and Nixon/Johnson can provide depth. 

I could see us adding another LB in the draft but again we'll likely be in nickel 60% of the time anyways and Lee is adequate in a limited role as a run stopper. The staff seems to be high on Morrow as a backup as well and Wilbur is a special teams ace. Plus you don't need to carry as many LB's when Heath will likely play almost exclusively in the box as a hybrid LB/S and Abram will be in the box a ton as well. 

Has Heath got experience playing LB?

Does Guenther play 3 safeties at the same time? I don’t remember seeing that last year?  

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, we’ll wait until after the draft to resign Jordan so unless someone we really like is available I see no reason to invest a higher pick at DL.  And no reason to invest a late round pick in one either.

i like Lee a lot but he’s the only capable SAM and isn’t a coverage guy.  We should really at least spend a 3rd on a LB is theres a good one left there.

I would like Jordyn Brooks or Willie Gay Jr.  Just read Brooks had surgery on his labrum 5 months ago and had just started running a week before the draft and that is why he only ran the 40.  Still ran a 4.54 at 240 lbs.

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Does Guenther play 3 safeties at the same time? I don’t remember seeing that last year?  

As far as I know Heath didn’t play LB much if at all.  He was however used quite often as a successful Box Safety.  Those things aren’t necessarily the same thing.  As a box safety he’s often “the extra man” and not accounted for in blocking... he’s got less assignments.  As a linebacker he’d have GAP responsibilities and have a OL attempting to block him.  There are similarities but they aren’t identical things.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I would like Jordyn Brooks or Willie Gay Jr.  Just read Brooks had surgery on his labrum 5 months ago and had just started running a week before the draft and that is why he only ran the 40.  Still ran a 4.54 at 240 lbs.

I like Brooks a lot.  But he’s a MIKE only imo.  And Willie gays the guy that excites you then disappoints you IMO.  Could be wrong and he might really be good.  It’s risky with him.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

As far as I know Heath didn’t play LB much if at all.  He was however used quite often as a successful Box Safety.  Those things aren’t necessarily the same thing.  As a box safety he’s often “the extra man” and not accounted for in blocking... he’s got less assignments.  As a linebacker he’d have GAP responsibilities and have a OL attempting to block him.  There are similarities but they aren’t identical things.

He played FS a lot as well. I wouldn’t be counting on him filling a LB role.

i think someone like Malik Harrison would be ideal. Competes with Lee for SLB slot and can provide depth at MLB. Quarterman from Miami is another I like.

7 minutes ago, Dessie said:

He played FS a lot as well. I wouldn’t be counting on him filling a LB role.

i think someone like Malik Harrison would be ideal. Competes with Lee for SLB slot and can provide depth at MLB. Quarterman from Miami is another I like.

I’d love Harrison, he was in my mock draft. And for exactly the reasons you listed.  I liked Quarterman early in the year but see only an average backup/spot starter at best.  Great inside blitzing LB tho.

25 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Heath is going to be in the box a ton and was the best tackling safety in the league last season. We'll likely see 2 LB's on the field 60-70% of the time as we move Heath, Joyner, and Abram around and into the box. 

14 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I wouldn't mind Harrison but he's a two down player. Lee can play some SLB as a run stopper. I'd prefer to go after a LB that can cover in case Littleton/Kwit get hurt. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind Harrison but he's a two down player. Lee can play some SLB as a run stopper. I'd prefer to go after a LB that can cover in case Littleton/Kwit get hurt. 

That’s Morrows role who we are paying pretty well for. 

We have no cover at MLB if Kwit goes down.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Heath is going to be in the box a ton and was the best tackling safety in the league last season. We'll likely see 2 LB's on the field 60-70% of the time as we move Heath, Joyner, and Abram around and into the box. 

Going by those stats he was the worst safety for tackling in 2018. 

He’s a backup that is good on special teams. If he’s playing a ton it will mean Abram isn’t playing.

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Going by those stats he was the worst safety for tackling in 2018. 

He’s a backup that is good on special teams. If he’s playing a ton it will mean Abram isn’t playing.

He had the highest tackling efficiency for a safety in the league in 2019 and started every game he played in over the last 3 years in Dallas. One NFL executive said he expects us to use Abram/Heath like the Bills use Hyde/Poyer. 

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

He had the highest tackling efficiency for a safety in the league in 2019 and started every game he played in over the last 3 years in Dallas. 

He also had the most missed tackles in 2018. Highest tackling efficiency is just tackles by attempts. He had his lowest snap count in 3 years in 2019.

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

He also had the most missed tackles in 2018. Highest tackling efficiency is just tackles by attempts. He had his lowest snap count in 3 years in 2019.

He's a backup box safety. As I've said numerous times, when you have Abram who will likely be in the box more often than not you don't need 3 LB's on the field very much. 

In 2019, Heath lead the NFL in tackling efficiency per Pro Football Focus, which tracks the number of tackle attempts per missed tackles. Among players who played at least 219 snaps in 2019, Heath led all safeties in tackle efficiency with 30 attempts per missed tackle. The next player on this list was Minnesota Vikings Safety Anthony Harris who is expected to receive a big pay day in free agency this year as the top safety available.

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

That’s Morrows role who we are paying pretty well for. 
We have no cover at MLB if Kwit goes down.

Why couldn't Marquel Lee slide into that role since he's only going to be on the field for two downs anyway? I just think finding someone that can play ILB and cover as a backup is ideal. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He's a backup box safety. As I've said numerous times, when you have Abram who will likely be in the box more often than not you don't need 3 LB's on the field very much. 

Heath isn’t a LB. I’ve asked before when does Guenther play 3 safeties and how does that match up against 11 personnel which is the most common offensive formation?