Evaluating Gutenkunst's first year

James Lofton

Honestly, not very good.

The maneuvering in the first to get Jaire and a future 1st was his highlight.

Spent a decent amount of money in FA which on the whole was absolutely not worth the money spent.

The trade of Randall for Kizer and negligible draft value addition doesn't look good either with Kizer looking inept. 

Tramon was probably the best FA signing, Byron Bell was probably the only one we got our money's worth.

Getting rid of Jordy probably a push, but also keeping Cobb, in hindsight, turned out to be a giant waste of money too.

Excited to see what he can do again this offseason, but if his draft and FA ventures this year are of the same caliber, we are going to talking about tanking for a top 10 pick again the last week or two.  He's gotta do better or his tenure will be short. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Graham signing - D

Wilkerson signing - A

Tramon signing - D

Jordy cut - A

Rodgers extension - C

Haha trade - B

Randall trade - C

Hundley trade - A

Monty trade - C

Draft - B

Hard to call the Wilkerson signing an A in my book. I know he got hurt, but he's been hurt the last three years.

Really feel like the ideal Jordy situation was a restructure and not a cut.

I'd argue the second biggest mistake after the Randall trade was not cutting Clay for free.

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are we? What we saw of Kizer this year was far more destructive than Hundley's worst. 

What we saw was about 10% of his total contribution. A good backup quarterback doesn’t really show his value outside of the team. Not to mention giving us the flexibility to jettison Hundley, the epitome of complacency.

Just now, deathstar said:

What we saw was about 10% of his total contribution. A good backup quarterback doesn’t really show his value outside of the team. Not to mention giving us the flexibility to jettison Hundley, the epitome of complacency.

Well I think we can say that this season Rodgers was worse with Kizer as his backup than any single season with Hundley, so where are we going with this?

As far as Hundley being complacent, yeah probably. Happens to a lot of guys. Not an excuse, but it's a lesson guys learn. Did you want to jettison Bakhtiari in his 3rd year? 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hard to call the Wilkerson signing an A in my book. I know he got hurt, but he's been hurt the last three years.

Really feel like the ideal Jordy situation was a restructure and not a cut.

I'd argue the second biggest mistake after the Randall trade was not cutting Clay for free.

Wilk snapped his ankle in a freak play. I think before that he was playing easily better than his acquisition cost.

I think Jordy have only taken snaps from MVS or ESB and not made us a playoff team. So I view having him around as a net negative.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Well I think we can say that this season Rodgers was worse with Kizer as his backup than any single season with Hundley, so where are we going with this?

As far as Hundley being complacent, yeah probably. Happens to a lot of guys. Not an excuse, but it's a lesson guys learn. Did you want to jettison Bakhtiari in his 3rd year? 

No? I’m not sure you can extrapolate either of those things except for the excuse of trying to make a point. 

If you feel Kizer is less than or equal to Hundley that’s fine. I don’t. 

RIGHT MOVES:
cutting Jordy - love the guy, but he's too hurt to making millions)
trading Ha ha - even though I think Ha ha is an above average player I don't think we were gonna resign him. So at least we got something and I don't think the composition we would get will be higher than a 4th)
Trading Hundley - at least we got something for a guy I feel like the team had lost confidence in
Singing Tramon -- not a great help, maybe not worth the money on the field, but helped the backfield play well enough to have hope for the future.

WRONG MOVES:
trading Ty Montgomery - he made a bad play. I don't think he is a bad person. I think he could be a good slot receiver type player
trading Randall - I think he is a good player with a big mouth. too bad Packers couldn't find a way to work with him
All the other signings - None worked out to be worth the money. I had a hunch Graham was over.

PUSH:
Draft
- seems average to me (but like I said too soon) even including the trade for the 1st rounder this year I'm not impressed.
Extending Aaron - duh. Oh course. I think Russ Ball did what every team would have.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, James Lofton said:

Cut -- Jordy Nelson --- It was the right move, although he may have helped us this year in the redzone.  B

Signed -- Jimmy Graham --- At the time I thought it was a good signing .. turned out to be a fairly weak acquisition.  C

Signed -- Muhammad Wilkerson --- Strong move at the time .. didn't work out due to injury.  D

Signed -- Tramon Williams --- Filled some holes for us .. didn't make any impact plays.  C

Signed -- Marcedes Lewis --- Nothing left in the tank. F

Traded -- Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer (and swapped 4th and 5th rough picks) -- Bad deal .. Kizer can't play dead, and Randall was a useful piece.  F

Traded -- Lenzy Pipkins to Colts for linebacker Antonio Morrison --- Morrison found a role .. Pipkins would not have .. minimal impact move though.  C

Traded -- Brett Hundley to Seattle for 2019 sixth-round draft pick --- Getting anything for him was pretty strong.  A

Traded -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick --- Was hoping for a 3rd, but getting a 4th for a hugely overrated player was strong.  B

Traded -- Ty Montgomery to Baltimore for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick --- Getting any pick was probably fine.  B

Extended -- Aaron Rodgers ($134 million for 4 years) --- At the time I think I really wanted this  .. now I wish we would have held off.  If he gets back to MVP level it's all good.  B

Drafted --

Jaire Alexander CB --- excellent player.  A.  The trades in round one made it look like Gute was a veteran GM .. well played.  A

Josh Jackson CB --- he will end up being a player .. rough start though.  C

Oren Burks ILB --- Didn't look like he was ready to play at all.  For this year .. an F

J'Mon Moore WR -- Couldn't make any impact .. only thing he can catch is a cold. An F

Cole Madison G - No-showed .. an F

JK Scott P -- Up and down. C

Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR ---  Probably an A .. was surprisingly productive.

Equanimeous St. Brown WR --- Could have been really productive if 12 would have made him more of a focal point.  A

James Looney DE -- I dunno .. D

Hunter Bradley LS --- Everything I read said he sucked -- D

Kendall Donnerson OLB --- Made the team in the end .. that's something.  D

Offer-sheet to Kyle Fuller was an interesting move .. wish Gute could have made it harder to match.  Novel idea .. poor offer .. B for effort.  Fuller wound up having a pro bowl season so he was Gute was on this talent.

Archived