Nicholson flashes in 1st Preseason action

turtle28

"Surprisingly, Nicholson landed on the active roster in Richmond, and took part in most training camp practices. Along with third round rookie Fabian Moreau, Nicholson didn't take part in team drills until after the first preseason game against the Ravens, and didn't hit the field until Washington's second preseason game against Green Bay.

A funny thing happened against the Packers: Nicholson showed he belonged.

It wasn't long, he logged just 29 snaps, but he nearly came up with an interception. In fact, he probably should have gotten the turnover, and Nicholson explained that his coaches and teammates have given him plenty of grief for missing the ball.

Beyond missing the pick, getting on an NFL field meant a lot for the rookie. 

"It felt great. I felt pretty comfortable out there. I still got a long way to go, a lot to learn," he said after Redskins practice Wednesday (full video above). "

He said he's still getting up to speed after missing full practice in the beginning of camp and missing the first preseason game because of his shoulder rehab but he definitely flashed and said he's willing to do whatever the coaches ask of him to make the team. 

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Eh, we'll see. He completely whiffed on that gimme interception against the Packers. I mean, it went right through his hands.

He also overran a tackle I think on one of their 4th team Qbs long scrambles.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Eh, we'll see. He completely whiffed on that gimme interception against the Packers. I mean, it went right through his hands.

He's now a Redskin. Let's not blame him for the curse that has been placed upon him. We simply cannot catch interceptions or recover fumbles. Just the way it is. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He's now a Redskin. Let's not blame him for the curse that has been placed upon him. We simply cannot catch interceptions or recover fumbles. Just the way it is. 

Still, that one was one of the more egregious misses I've seen since Rogers left.

The Redskins Fan Motto- Lets hope for the best, but expect the worst. I really hope he pans out but I was SHOCKED they drafted him where they did based on his play. He reminds me so much of Taylor Mays- and I expect his career will have a similar result. 

6 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

The Redskins Fan Motto- Lets hope for the best, but expect the worst. I really hope he pans out but I was SHOCKED they drafted him where they did based on his play. He reminds me so much of Taylor Mays- and I expect his career will have a similar result. 

Well at least we didn't take him in round 2 like the 49ers did w/ Mays. I have no problem with taking good athletes who need more coaching & development in the second half of the draft.

I also think that he has better hips/change of direction than Mays. If anyone is like Mays, it's Josh Harvey-Clemons, but we are doing the right thing by developing JHC as a dime LB because he struggles in mid to deep coverage. Mays probably would have become a better WLB but to my knowledge no one never tried him there.

Archived