NFL considering reviewing PI calls

malagabears

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25818681/nfl-again-discuss-reviewing-pass-interference-calls

This is already a controversial subject. It will be interesting.

METAIRIE, La. -- The NFL will discuss this offseason whether to make pass-interference penalties reviewable, a source confirmed in the wake of the infamous no-call that helped decide Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

However, that has already been a big topic of discussion for the past several years within the NFL's competition committee -- with coaches such as the New Orleans Saints' Sean Payton and the New England Patriots' Bill Belichick among many longtime advocates for expanded replay.

The nfl should consider reviewing all calls lol. Have certain accountable parties able to send decisions down to the field for the blind refs to review. There’s just an obnoxious amount of game breaking missed calls that negatively affect the game. 

Making penalties reviewable is a massive can of worms.  As much as I detest that non call, it is a judgement call and when we start reviewing subjective decisions, that's going to be a massive problem.  If you are reviewing PI, why not holding.  Or illegal contact, or offsides.  It 100% should have been called, but I dont know how you can do this, and not break the game.

It works in the CFL so why not the NFL?  I know the contact rules are different in each league, but if you still limit it to 2 challenges per team per game then I don't see any reason why the game would slow down by having reviews for PI.  

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

It works in the CFL so why not the NFL?  I know the contact rules are different in each league, but if you still limit it to 2 challenges per team per game then I don't see any reason why the game would slow down by having reviews for PI.  

Bc you have unlimited booth reviews inside of 2 mins of each half.  

Just now, topwop1 said:

Well then they may have to change that rule to scoring plays only with the last 2 minutes and not just any play.

All scoring plays and TOs are automatically booth reviewed at any time in the game.  Your proposal wouldnt even change the outcome of what happened.  It was inside 2 mins so it cant be challenged.  It wasnt a scoring play so in your scenario that wouldnt have been booth reviewed either.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

All scoring plays and TOs are automatically booth reviewed at any time in the game.  Your proposal wouldnt even change the outcome of what happened.  It was inside 2 mins so it cant be challenged.  It wasnt a scoring play so in your scenario that wouldnt have been booth reviewed either.

I'm suggesting that they get rid of the unlimited booth reviews within the last two minutes. That way teams would still have to use one of their two challenges and it wouldn't slow the game down any more.

Keep everything else the same with scoring plays and TO's being automatically reviewed.  What could go wrong?

I can see both sides of this, but if they start doing that, I feel like there will constantly be challenges for PI calls. It could be a real drag on the game, and a lot of smaller stuff that normally gets by and isn't a big impact on the play might end up getting challenged and reviewed to keep drives going.   Of course there are only two challenges (or a third) per game, but still, I view it as adding more potential problems than providing solutions.

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm suggesting that they get rid of the unlimited booth reviews within the last two minutes. That way teams would still have to use one of their two challenges and it wouldn't slow the game down any more.

Keep everything else the same with scoring plays and TO's being automatically reviewed.  What could go wrong?

Let's start with why the replay rules are the way they are.  The NFL was concerned with pacing of the game.  That's why they limited it to challenges per team.  The concern primarily with replay is that we dont want a game decided on a bad call.  So logically, those plays last 2 mins of each half are critical.  It's most important to get those right above all others.  So they said we are just going to take that out of the coaches hands and make those automatically reviewed.  Then came adding scoring and turnovers, why? Well because those are often the most impactful plays of every game. When the NFL first instituted replay they created a standard on which calls would be overturned, that was "indisputable video evidence" in order to enforce that rule they gave a 2 min time limit to the referee under the hood.  If he couldnt make a call after 2 mins, the video feed shut off and he was to call it as stands.  Here's where things went awry.  Somewhere along the way, the NFL lost sight of what "indisputable video evidence" means.  We now see questionable calls often overturned.  The replay overturn has become one of the frequently most controversial hot button topics in the NFL. These calls should not be controversial by definition.  But since nobody, especially Al Riverron seems to understand what indisputable means, now we have officials under the hood for 3, 4 mins, examining every key piece of detail trying to verify every aspect of every rule.  There is no common sense in the replay process anymore.  Its 2019 and I'm still learning what a damn catch is.

Here's how you fix it.  You borrow heavily from the college system.  You have a replay official in the booth who reviews every play, period.  If he sees something blatant he buzzes the official, overturns the call.  If he sees something that he needs a little bit more time to review, he buzzes the official and then gets 90 secs to review all the angles.  If he cant make a definitive call based on truly "indisputable video evidence" Call stands, clock rolls on official signal.  In the event of a badly missed no call on a penalty again with indisputable video evidence, he buzzes the ref, the ref then goes under the hood for 90 secs, and decides if their is a penalty or not, under a common sense prospective.  IE if it's not agregious and blatant you dont make the call.  If 90 secs is ever reached on any replay, the call automatically stands.  Stadiums can put a countdown time up.  If a call is overturned, the ref can then go under the hood, to ensure the ball is spotted correctly.  Coaches still get 2 challenges, in the event that the opponent is trying to quick snap to avoid the review.  Challenge can be used at anytime, to review any call, but the indisputable video evidence is always the standard, and replay always has a 90 sec time limit.  Absolutely, positively no more calls to New York to decide a call.  

Archived