2019 Bears: How will it go?

BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

2019 will come down to two people - Trubisky and Nagy.

The defense will be top 5 barring major health woes. Returning too much talent and even if we lose Callahan and Amos there are average replacements that will be able to step in and the defense won't regress massively. Amos IMO is the easier to replace if we are playing a lot of man, McManis was able to do pretty well overall but when it came down to the biggest play PHI knew who they were going after. He doesn't demand respect from anyone and really we need to see if Tolliver is the future replacement for Amukamara.

On offense we are returning everyone (ATM) and hopefully they figure out the run game. The run blocking was pretty bad, we had a LOT of plays busted in the backfield.

But Nagy and Trubisky are the two most important people to progress.

Nagy had strokes of genius and then had stretches where he made me wonder if Loggains was calling in the plays. He makes wonderful adjustments at times and scripting sometimes makes it seem as if he knows every call the defense will make. That is something you have to be intelligent to do, and have a feel for the game. But then you see the reliance on 5 yard outs (fairly high risk/low reward route), screens (while we were atrocious at blocking them and no one got YAC), and drag routes (high percentage passes but on 3rd and 8 it is a stupid call when you get almost zero YAC). He seemed to be wildly inconsistent - which is expected considering his lack of experience in playcalling. Scheming and being creative on a whiteboard are great, but there simply is no substitute for experience. He needs to get better as a playcaller, and has a short time to do it as he is not just growing himself, but is at the crux of Trubisky's growth.

Trubisky was really up and down, his end statline is about what I expected, and could have been better had Smith not taken his uncharacteristic cheap shot on Tru. He was absolutely swimming with info in the beginning it seemed, and could not catch up. Nagy dialed it back and Tru had the monster game vs Tampa Bay. I loved Mahomes coming out of college but thought Trubisky had a really high ceiling and would be able to have pinpoint accuracy. So far he has shown that in spurts, and also shown wildly inconsistent mechanics at times. That is what drives me nuts about him. You will see when he is in a big moment like late vs PHI where he isn't thinking and just playing and delivers dimes over DBs and lets players use their body to shield the ball. You will see instinctive abilities to throw to protect WRs at times too (we saw several low passes or throwing to where WRs had to slow, but it kept them from getting blown up due to that placement) but then see easy flat routes being overthrown, major underthrows on posts and fly routes, and some pre-determined reads that can bite him. IDK how many of those 1-2 reads Nagy calls, but I assume a fair bit since some of the plays were so fast and his overreliance on several short tempo throws). On a lot of these we noted his feet being wrong, toes pointing way off, etc, and I think he was sometimes too focused on making the "perfect" pass to help get more YAC.

Tru was often not helped by Nagy's conservative passing concepts, as it shrank the field for the defense and often used moronic fits for players (using Gabriel as a blocker on a screen, repeatedly using Gabriel on 0-5 yard routes when he cannot break a tackle, being on the opposite hash and STILL having ARob do a 5 yard out on the other side of the field, etc). But the flip side of that is Tru has to KNOW when there is simply a bad call for his situation, and move off of it. Too many time Tru made dangerous throws that had almost no potential to give a payoff. I don't mind gambling, but betting $100 to win only $5 back is a poor mindset, and we showed it way too often. He needs to keep quickening his reads and working on his mechanics. When he is set and steps into his throws he can put the ball anywhere he wants, so it just needs to be hammered into him.

Next year I want to see 68% completion, 265 yards passing per game (if Winston can get 270 ypg in his 10 or so starts there is ZERO reason Tru can't with Nagy and the talent around him), and 30 TDs while throwing 10 picks. Of course if we end up somehow getting a top running attack then I am more than happy to scale it back, I'd rather win throwing for 200 and rushing for 150 than lose throwing for 450 and rushing for 75 yards. I just don't know if the running attack suddenly jumps back to form.

@Sugashane I would add on downfiled over the shoulder passes vertical or crossing he tries to throw the perfect in stride lead pass too much.  Ball is over thrown way too much.

Put just a little more air and dial it back a touch.  Don't underthrow it because that is advantage defender, but don't always make it a diving or finger tip catch either .

The receivers are better than the DBs with ball in air.  That's why they are receivers and they are DBs. 

Put the ball on the receiver and let him get it.  If Db closes to ball a bit that is fine.  

By doing this you increase two things greatly; chance of catch and chance of pass interference which is just about as good.  Again dont under throw it, but dont try to make that perfect in stride catch that DB has no chance on. Its too hard to catch and too hard to make that throw. 

Somebody needs to notice and tell him this. Not just say don't throw picks.  Right now he is just trying to never throw an INT on deep balls and result is a lot of missed big plays for us.  

I think Shaheen is a real x factor.  No secret that a good all around TE really makes the RPO game tough to stop. 

Shaheen looked good in preseason, got hurt and never regained his training camp form.  A good to decent Shaheen made Burton look like a star in camp.  Burton needs that complimentary big TE for his game. Without it he is pedestrian and limited in use. 

If Shaheen can find his game and stay healthy in 2019 that could really surprise some teams and most Bears fans to be honest.  Give Bears O a whole other look. 

Bears should go out and get Shaheen type player like Uzomah from Bengals to insure against another Shaheen break down. 

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I'd like to see Wims break into rotation in 2019. 

Gives you a nice possession receiver and a big blocker.  Watching Gabriel block on screens and sweeps was a bad joke.  

Considering Tanner Gentry is going to be starting opposite of ARob, Wims will still have trouble getting reps.

Overall health of the starters will play a big role.  We did well on that front this year.

I don't see much change.  We'll have a tougher schedule but the offense will be one year farther along the line.

To me the keys will be Mitch's continued development and the defense not losing any ground under Pagano.

We could win 12 games again or we could win 10 or 14.  If we stay healthy I don't see us sliding back much.

So far I'm still enjoying our 12-4 finish and throwing shade at my old Packer fan buddies......suck it boys!  LOL

2019 and 2020 are Bears best chance to win a SB since 80s.  Need a lot of injury breaks and projected improvement, but on paper relative to league they have as good a chance as anyone. No juggarnaughts out there in the way. 

Grossman/Urlacher team was playing a little over their heads and never really felt they had a real chance to win it all even when they made it all the way to big game.

I like 2019 team on paper more than I liked 2006 Bears.  

Old guard of Brady, Rothelisberger, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Manning is getting really old. Manning is already done. 

Mahomes is a stud and an obstacle, but he is in AFC. They also still have some defensive holes and losing Hunt hurt them. Rams won't be the same in 2019. This was their year. Dallas could possibly be a threat, but they are combustible. Same with Philly. Indy doesnt have depth of talent. Not really scared of anyone else in NFC. Toughest obstacles are surviving the division schedule intact.  Every one in our division has an established QB, can make for rapid and unexpected improvement via addition of one or two really talented guys.  

Still think Bears have as good a combo of offensive and defensive talent as anyone going forward in 2019.  They just have to execute now. 

Archived