Muhammad Wilkerson

Tramon Williams

Re signed:

Jake Ryan

PjXthdNU_400x400.jpg

Bashaud Breeland:

1060368934.jpg.0.jpg

Shaquil Barrett:

Barrett’s price tag in free agency got torpedoed by the Broncos draft Bradley Chubb, but he still performed admirably in a part-time role. He’s earned a pass-rushing grade above 70.0 every single season of his career and earned an 82.6 overall grade as a starter in 2017.

USATSI_8771786_164063748_lowres-Cropped.

Kareem Jackson (Playing Safety)

While he was a cornerback this past season, Jackson may also have a second act to his career that sees someone coveting him for his ability to play safety. Houston dabbled with him there and in the slot this past year, and it led to his highest graded season since 2014.

OF7KGSCSOVGVPK2YNNMLPSEGVE.jpg

John Brown:

The deep threat ability that saw Brown rack up 370 deep yards and over 1,000 total receiving yards in 2015 didn’t suddenly go away. Brown just hasn’t had a quarterback that could find him since. His seven deep receptions in 2018 were 28th-most in the league.

1032974800.jpeg&

Henry Anderson:

Once a promising rookie, Anderson never quite regained form after an ACL tear, and he was dealt for a late rounder to the Jets last offseason. However, he quietly put together his best season as a pro in 2018, and his 48 pressures were the 12th- most of any interior player in the league last season.

usatsi_11411670-e1539325798509.jpg?w=100

NFL Draft:

RD1 A:

Florida_logo.gif Jachai Polite*, OLB/DE, Florida 
Height: 6-2. Weight: 260. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.80. 

1/14/19: WalterFootball.com was first to report that Polite planned on entering the 2019 NFL Draft. The junior was a force on the edge for Florida in 2018. Polite has an odd body type, but he could be a good rotational edge rusher in a 4-3 and would fit well as a 3-4 outside linebacker, which could be his best fit for the NFL. In 2018, Polite totaled 11 sacks with six forced fumbles, 45 tackles, 17.5 tackles for a loss and four passes batted. He has natural feel as a pass-rusher with speed, athleticism, moves, and a nose for the quarterback. 

Polite is a solid run defender despite the body type of lacking length on the edge. He is a fearless defender who can set the edge, and his plays come in pursuit, especially from the back side. Sources tell me that Polite is a good guy off the field and is loved by his teammates.

jachai-polite-gators-uaa-twitter-650x300

RD1 Saints

BostonCollege_logo.gif Zach Allen, 3-4DE, Boston College 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 284. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.85. 

1/14/19: Allen totaled 61 tackles with seven sacks, seven passes batted, one forced fumble and 14.5 tackles for a loss in 2018. He played well for Boston College despite extra attention. Allen is a tough run defender and steadily puts pressure on the quarterback. He has good instincts, feel, and is a well-rounded player who has versatility for a 4-3 or 3-4 in the NFL. Allen is very strong and a bully on the field.

zach-allen-football.jpg

RD2

BostonCollege_logo.gif Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College 
Height: 6-3. Weight: 307. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.10. 

In speaking to multiple sources, Lindstrom has impressed them with from seeing him in person and on tape. They feel he has the look of an NFL starter. Lindstrom goes under the radar, but he is a really good blocker, and quickly one can tell that he is a pro-caliber offensive lineman. Lindstrom plays with good leverage and shows some heavy hands to manipulate defenders. While Lindstrom looks well put together, he shows some quickness to the second level and is more athletic than one would think from the eye ball test. In the pass rush, Lindstrom uses his hands well with good placement and sustains his block. As a player, Lindstrom reminds me of the Chicago Bears' Cody Whitehair, except Lindstrom might be stronger and more physical than Whitehair was coming out of Kansas State.

Senior Bowl "Just dominated all game long. Didn’t give an inch in pass protection in the snaps I saw, and was consistently moving people in the run game. Just like his tape. Just like his week of practice. Lindstrom needs a lot more hype in this class. It’s a weak interior offensive line class, and Lindstrom looks like a sure-fire starter from day one."

8837199.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

RD3:

Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois 
Height: 6-2. Weight: 310. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.22. 

Khalen Saunders, the man with a YouTube highlight reel titled "The Aaron Donald of the FCS" -- which I must say, truly isn't drastic hyperbole -- made a fantastic first impression with the hundreds of evaluators inside Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Oh, and he ended practice by back flipping in front of the entire team, which drew a raucous celebration.

Early in a one-on-one rep against Beau Benzschawel, the Western Illinois superstar put the Wisconsin All-American on skates with a forceful bull rush.

Against another Badgers blocker, Michael Deiter, Saunders demonstrated the polish to his game by spinning out of his grasp at the end of the rep. In 11-on-11, Saunders repeatedly won with an explosive first step to move into the backfield on run plays, and he finished with a would-be sack of Penn

State's Trace McSorley on a quick move to the inside in team drills.

700_4107_396.JPG

RD4 

Maryland_logo.gif Darnell Savage, S, Maryland 
Height: 5-11. Weight: 200. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.52. 

Acceleration -Plenty of burst when driving into the play. Can make up ground as a zone defender and arrive in timely fashion. Long speed is adequate and will serve him well as he develops if team looks to implement as a true free safety.

Tackling -Will lay the wood on runs and shallow passes that he’s able to build steam into. Comfortable adjusting his angles on the fly and greeting the ball with pads and hips aligned. Will occasionally throw a lazy shoulder trying to go for big hits.

Zone Coverage Skills -Instincts flash best in robber coverage and in the hook/curl areas. Guilty of tunnel vision in spurts, trusting landmarks is paramount in future implementation as a deep defender. Eagerness to make a big play in pursuit can betray his role at times.

Ball Skills -Takes strong angles to the football with the ball in flight. Anticipatory breaks on the ball have led to a lot of ball production, set career highs in plays on the ball in 2018 as a senior. Shows good hands and natural skills as a returner after a turnover.

Competitive Toughness -Mean, nasty hitter who moves at a different speed than his teammates in pursuit once locked onto the football. Has a great sense of fighting through contact on the edge and working to discard of blocks as a support defender

8148251.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

RD4 (Redskins)

Stanford_logo.gif Bryce Love, RB, Stanford 
Height: 5-10. Weight: 196. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.

STANFBC4.jpg?fit=620,9999px&ssl=1

RD5

UtahState_logo.gif Dax Raymond, TE, Utah State 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 250. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.78. 

Size and speed have never been much of a concern (Raymond’s 6-foot-5, 250-pound frame matches your standard Madden create-a-player archetype), but his ability to run clean routes and provide an effective downfield target has scouts praising Raymond as perhaps more than just a late-round flier

He displayed the athleticism to beat safeties in coverage, nice route running ability and a great job of tracking the ball into his hands during the one-on-one and 7-on-7 drills.

USATSI_10315146.jpg

RD6:

SanDiegoState_logo.gif Tyler Roemer*, OT, San Diego State 
Height: 6-7. Weight: 315. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.25. 

1/21/19: Roemer declared for the 2019 NFL Draft, but he had some off-the-field issues in college, including some suspensions. Roemer had been the starting left tackle for the Aztecs prior to a suspension and being removed from the team. Roemer has some size and ability.

sd-sp-sdsu-football-aztecs-left-tackle-t

RD7

Nevada_logo.gif Sean Krepsz, C/G, Nevada 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.50. 

1/5/19: Krepsz missed some time early in the 2018 season with an elbow injury. 

8/28/18: Krepsz is a 3-year starter for Nevada and has been a solid center. His reliable play at center landed him on the Rimington watch lists in the spring and fall during the 2017 season. Krepsz is big for a center, and his body type would fit well at guard as well.

usatsi_9560736.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Nice FA additions. Seem like realistic options. Solid draft. Not a huge fan of Allen. He’s more of a tweener without the above average athleticism to make it work as a pass rusher consistently. Not a fan of Love. Not sure he brings anything different to the table than Aaron Jones. Not a good pass catcher either. Dax Raymond and Saunders are risers who likely will end up getting taken earlier than your current projections. Lindstrom seems like a solid all-around guard. Not really a stand out in any particular area. Nice work overall.

1 minute ago, Lieker said:

Nice FA additions. Seem like realistic options. Solid draft. Not a huge fan of Allen. He’s more of a tweener without the above average athleticism to make it work as a pass rusher consistently. Not a fan of Love. Not sure he brings anything different to the table than Aaron Jones. Not a good pass catcher either. Dax Raymond and Saunders are risers who likely will end up getting taken earlier than your current projections. Lindstrom seems like a solid all-around guard. Not really a stand out in any particular area. Nice work overall.

I disagree with your take on Allen. I think he is strong in the run game and efficient as a pass rusher. As far as Love, i think having two Aaron Jones type players would be a plus. Love is also one of the best return man coming out and would extremely help our special teams.

1 hour ago, moretti19 said:

I disagree with your take on Allen. I think he is strong in the run game and efficient as a pass rusher. As far as Love, i think having two Aaron Jones type players would be a plus. Love is also one of the best return man coming out and would extremely help our special teams.

Allen may have been that in college. Does he have the athletic ability to rush the passer effectively in the NFL? He struggled to rush the passer during Senior Bowl week by most accounts. I think he’ll be a solid role player in the NFL but not someone I’d look to take in the 2nd round.

Love is more of a straight line runner with mediocre cutting ability. One of his biggest knocks is his ability in the receiving game. Not to mention he’s coming off a major injury late in the season. Just not my kind of prospect. Reminds me in some ways of Ronald Jones.

22 minutes ago, Lieker said:

Allen may have been that in college. Does he have the athletic ability to rush the passer effectively in the NFL? He struggled to rush the passer during Senior Bowl week by most accounts. I think he’ll be a solid role player in the NFL but not someone I’d look to take in the 2nd round.

Love is more of a straight line runner with mediocre cutting ability. One of his biggest knocks is his ability in the receiving game. Not to mention he’s coming off a major injury late in the season. Just not my kind of prospect. Reminds me in some ways of Ronald Jones.

I’ll definitely have to check out Allen at the Senior Bowl, I hadn’t read anything negative about him but I’ll look. Love is a boom or bust guy at running back but I think will be a good return man regardless.

7 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Just don't like Polite at #12.  Screams need instead of talent. 

Also don't like the veteran WR in FA mind set.  I think we're good with Adams, Allison, Kumerow, ESB, MVS and Moore.

If Polite measures we’ll i think he will go top ten. Also Brown is a different mold than what we have in that he is smaller and quick and a deep threat.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Nice work. Like the Anderson add in FA and Polite. Only problem I have is I think we still have a big problem at safety. Adding a converted CB  plus a 4th round draft pick to a position that is pretty much devoid of any talent right now. 

Still have hope for Josh Jones and Campbell looked promising. I agree though it’s a lot of hope for that position. Should be a much better pass rush allowing the secondary to not have to cover all day.

Archived