TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

23 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

One thing I though Hacksaw Ridge did that was overkill was how much time and scenes they dedicated to showing how intense and "to death" the Japanese were.
It got gratuitous I thought

Well they were literally that crazy. I read some pretty interesting articles about how violent they were. The Japanese took it to another level. They were playing for keeps. 

Be interesting if they made a movie from both side. There had to be some Japanese dudes who weren't down with the crazy right? Like Ro's great cousin Ro Zu Akiyama , who were like "yeah hey while you guys are blowing your selves up, im going to just go ahead take one of our boats back to the Marshall Islands and chill for a while , cool?" 

Edited by Bednarik60
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Be interesting if they made a movie from both side. There had to be some Japanese dudes who weren't down with the crazy right? Like Ro's great nephew Ro Zu Akiyama , who were like "yeah hey while you guys are blowing your selves up, im going to just go ahead take one of our boats back to the Marshall Islands and chill for a while , cool?" 

Agreed there’d be some awesome stories from the other side. But I imagine the backlash over “romancing the stories of an evil empire” would make studios hesitant to put those out.

Would still be interesting to see something other than hard nosed documentaries on the other side. I’d love a story about a German man trying to figure out how live with himself for his position in the Nazi army (if for no other reason than the psychological conflict would be interesting to me), while giving an artistic glimpse behind the curtain of Nazi Germany. But I imagine “humanizing people who do horrible things” isn’t really a big draw.

50 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Agreed there’d be some awesome stories from the other side. But I imagine the backlash over “romancing the stories of an evil empire” would make studios hesitant to put those out.

Would still be interesting to see something other than hard nosed documentaries on the other side. I’d love a story about a German man trying to figure out how live with himself for his position in the Nazi army (if for no other reason than the psychological conflict would be interesting to me), while giving an artistic glimpse behind the curtain of Nazi Germany. But I imagine “humanizing people who do horrible things” isn’t really a big draw.

Das Boot comes to mind. 

2 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

2.5 Million Indians served in WWII for the allies and its sorta never brought up much. I imagine there got to be some epic stories from there side to. 

There are so many untold stories too that would make great books, movies, etc. Like tons of Japanese Americans fought for the U.S. during WWII as well.

The 442nd became the most decorated unit of its size in U.S. military history. In less than two years of combat, the unit earned more than 18,000 awards, including 9,486 Purple Hearts, 4,000 Bronze Stars and 21 Medals of Honor. Upon their return to the United States, they were praised by President Harry Truman for their brave stand both home and abroad, and were even the subject of a 1951 film, “Go for Broke”; the film’s title was derived from the unit’s official slogan.

Reading that there is some good "dog fights" with planes in Dunkirk. That would be the craziest thing EVER. Fighting in the air in those dog fights. Flak blowing up all around you and your in a 360 degree environment. 

Chuck Bednarik did that, 32 missions, he was a gunner on the back of a plane.. who flew over Berlin . He said that playing football was like slow motion compared to that gunning, why he adjusted so well to the game, it was like a walk in the park compared to being a gunner on a plane. 

1 hour ago, Bednarik60 said:

Well they were literally that crazy. I read some pretty interesting articles about how violent they were. The Japanese took it to another level. They were playing for keeps. 

Oh yea I know...it's just they made their point in the film in a nice way that was tied to his story and then they balabored the point and took the story away from the main character 

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

I'd love to see a film with a budget like that.

See the transformation of Germany in all facets from a first person perspective. Starting from the end of WW1 to the fall of Berlin.

but it would be interesting to see a deep dive character piece into a soldier in the SS, take on the challenge of a morally dark/villainous character as a lead. You rarely get those types of films without them secretly being well intentioned secretly golden hearts