Who is the game 1 starter?

TKellion

I'm not sure what happened to the post above, I pasted something into it and I can't see it but;

1. Drafting Jones in round 1 is not a “decision for now,” that’s a decision for the long term future of the franchise, hopefully.

2. Signing Fitzpatrick doesn't make much sense at all given his age and he's a turnover machine. He's not a long term option, IMO he’s not an option at all.

3. Signing Bridgewater while could be a long term option, he hasn't played a regular season down in 3 years let alone a full game. He shouldn't be making more than Colt McCoy.

And, if he actually is healthy enough to make a difference, what's the point?

We should be in the business of competing in every game but likely losing more games than we win. Colt does that for us, as does Josh Johnson or a rookie.

I'm not sure why we’d bring in an average veteran again. We don't need to win 7 to 9 games. We should want to have 7 wins be our ceiling but hopefully, we have double-digit losses this season so we can have a top 10 or even top 5 pick and draft a game changer in the 2020 draft.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm sick of this tanking talk.  I want to win every game possible . Ol George Allen-the future is now ! Never, NEVER give up on a Season ! Hope and faith HTTR !

We’ll never win a super bowl by staying stuck in average. QBs like Bridgewater etc keep us average again, for what? One season? 

I'd give up one season of being a double-digit loser again if it gets us a QB prospect in the 2020 draft who will help make us a Super Bowl contender early next decade.

It's far better to go with a qb who should have us below average or worse - Colt McCoy then an average QB like Bridgewater. If we do that, then, we’ll likely have a top 10 prospect in the draft in 2020. We need game changers, no more of what we already have.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, turtle28 said:

can draft a game changer!

Drafting Jones in round 1, is not a “decision for now,” that’s a decision for the long term future of the franchise, hopefully.

So say you prefer Jones over Bridgewater long term over saying Bridgewater wouldn't be a good signing. Brigewater is definitely better than McCoy.

13 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

So say you prefer Jones over Bridgewater long term over saying Bridgewater wouldn't be a good signing. Brigewater is definitely better than McCoy.

Bridgewater may be better than McCoy, hard to know bc again Bridgewater hasn’t played multiple games in an NFL game in 3 years and even then, he was always average. Go look at his stats, his greatest play was handing off to AD.

Bridgewater’s best season was for throwing for 3200 yards 14 TDs w/ 9 ints. Those #s aren’t even as good as RG3.

Why/How is he some kind of answer?

And for everyone saying Colt always gets hurt, it doesn’t hold much weight when they’re pushing to pay to get Bridgewater for 2 or 3 times as much bc Bridgewater had a catastrophic knee injury 3 years ago, something’s Colt has never had. 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm not sure what happened to the post above, I pasted something into it and I can't see it but;

3. Signing Bridgewater while could be a long term option, he hasn't played a regular season down in 3 years let alone a full game. He shouldn't be making more than Colt McCoy.

Technically... no.

He had a couple snaps in 2017. He played a whole game in 2018.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Technically... no.

He had a couple snaps in 2017. He played a whole game in 2018.

Ahh, I didn’t realize he started in week 17 last year.

I’ll edit my post above, thanks Mike14 and... He looked so much better than Colt too:

14/22, 118 yds, 1 TD, 1 int with a 74 rtg 

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bridgewater may be better than McCoy, hard to know bc again Bridgewater hasn’t played multiple games in an NFL game in 3 years and even then, he was always average. Go look at his stats, his greatest play was handing off to AD.

Bridgewater’s best season was for throwing for 3200 yards 14 TDs w/ 9 ints. Those #s aren’t even as good as RG3.

Why/How is he some kind of answer?

And for everyone saying Colt always gets hurt, it doesn’t hold much weight when they’re pushing to pay to get Bridgewater for 2 or 3 times as much bc Bridgewater had a catastrophic knee injury 3 years ago, something’s Colt has never had. 

Ok Jay I see no there no chance. Keep Colt!

a guy in fear for his job would start Colt because he gives the team the best chance of winning now. And draft a replacement to develop. Now where it gets interesting is a guy interested in selling tickets would make a splash and get the highest profile qb through signing or drafting very high. Lets see how it plays out.

Doc's Prediction:

Colt starts game 1

The Redskins draft the Duke kid and he starts when Colt gets injured. 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:13 AM, Skins212689 said:

I don't have a problem tanking for next years QB class and making Colt the starter but if they are thinking about filling that position right now. Bridgewater has to be a option in that conversation. 

I agree with this part of this post. If they’re going to sign a veteran FA to upgrade on Colt (which, for the record, I consider pointless and counterproductive), I think Bridgewater represents the best available combination of affordability and upside. 

His numbers in MIN before he got hurt weren’t staggering, but it’s important to keep in mind that he was a very young rookie/2nd year QB playing on a terrible offense. He had started 28 games by the end of his age 23 season, which only 10 QBs since the merger have done — most of whom were top 5 picks and absolute blue chip talents. 

Among the QBs who did play that much, that early, Bridgewater compares pretty favorably to some very good players. Here are some of the other players on that list, with their passer ratings (adjusted to league average and scaled, with 100 being exactly average):

Peyton Manning: 103

Matthew Stafford: 101

Cam Newton: 100

Teddy Bridgewater: 98

Jameis Winston: 97

He accomplished that on an offense that was...uninspiring. To be kind. He did get one good year out of AD, but aside from that it was a mess. In his rookie season, the offensive MVP was legitimately probably Matt Asiata. Maybe an old, check-getting Greg Jennings. And his top receiver in his second season was a 5th round rookie Stefon Diggs. The OL was pretty poor and banged up in places, as well — which was a big part of how he ended up getting sacked 83 times on 849 pass attempts, a significantly higher rate than any of the other QBs listed above (or RGIII or Mariota, two other similar players). 

He’s still only 26, and presumably he’s as close to healthy as he’ll ever be. He got a season to learn the nuances of the position under Payton and Brees. I think that is a pretty important development, given that his game is probably more suited to the efficient, quick-passing attack they employ there — and no one does it better than them.

I don’t really think Bridgewater is likely to be a franchise QB. He was never a true elite talent to start with, and his catastrophic injury probably has sapped enough athleticism that he’ll never be able to take his game to the highest level. But among the options that are out there for veteran FAs, I think he’s the only one that I could possibly envision (under any circumstances) becoming a long-term franchise QB. The others are either too old or have proven over the course of numerous years that they’re never going to take the next step. In a perfect storm, I could see him being able to provide what they hoped they would get from Alex Smith — leadership, command of a quick passing attack, a little athleticism. 

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I agree with this part of this post. If they’re going to sign a veteran FA to upgrade on Colt (which, for the record, I consider pointless and counterproductive), I think Bridgewater represents the best available combination of affordability and upside. 

His numbers in MIN before he got hurt weren’t staggering, but it’s important to keep in mind that he was a very young rookie/2nd year QB playing on a terrible offense. He had started 28 games by the end of his age 23 season, which only 10 QBs since the merger have done — most of whom were top 5 picks and absolute blue chip talents. 

Among the QBs who did play that much, that early, Bridgewater compares pretty favorably to some very good players. Here are some of the other players on that list, with their passer ratings (adjusted to league average and scaled, with 100 being exactly average):

He accomplished that on an offense that was...uninspiring. To be kind. He did get one good year out of AD, but aside from that it was a mess. In his rookie season, the offensive MVP was legitimately probably Matt Asiata. Maybe an old, check-getting Greg Jennings. And his top receiver in his second season was a 5th round rookie Stefon Diggs. The OL was pretty poor and banged up in places, as well — which was a big part of how he ended up getting sacked 83 times on 849 pass attempts, a significantly higher rate than any of the other QBs listed above (or RGIII or Mariota, two other similar players). 

He’s still only 26, and presumably he’s as close to healthy as he’ll ever be. He got a season to learn the nuances of the position under Payton and Brees. I think that is a pretty important development, given that his game is probably more suited to the efficient, quick-passing attack they employ there — and no one does it better than them.

I don’t really think Bridgewater is likely to be a franchise QB. He was never a true elite talent to start with, and his catastrophic injury probably has sapped enough athleticism that he’ll never be able to take his game to the highest level. But among the options that are out there for veteran FAs, I think he’s the only one that I could possibly envision (under any circumstances) becoming a long-term franchise QB. The others are either too old or have proven over the course of numerous years that they’re never going to take the next step. In a perfect storm, I could see him being able to provide what they hoped they would get from Alex Smith — leadership, command of a quick passing attack, a little athleticism. 

These things also say backup material as well. 

6 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

a guy in fear for his job would start Colt because he gives the team the best chance of winning now. And draft a replacement to develop. Now where it gets interesting is a guy interested in selling tickets would make a splash and get the highest profile qb through signing or drafting very high. Lets see how it plays out.

Doc's Prediction:

Colt starts game 1

The Redskins draft the Duke kid and he starts when Colt gets injured. 

I can get on board with drafting David Jones to eventually take over for Colt at some point during the season.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I can get on board with drafting David Jones to eventually take over for Colt at some point during the season.

But not drafting Jones and have him sit while signing Bridgewater to compete with McCoy for the starting gig. You know have a rookie sit like Mahomes did. You than have 3 QBs (two with high potential to start). Bridgewater has a productive year, he than becomes trade bait the following year with Jones ready to start. 

Your so against this, its as though you havent even thought about it. This could be a Nick Foles Carson Wentz situation or Tom Brady Jimmy G. The thing about it is you play your cards right your more than likely to come away with at least a 2nd round pick in 2020 (at least that what your hoping) McCoy want get you anything but a top 5 pick, while Bridgewater will still give you a top 15-20 plus and extra 2nd round pick (at least) 

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

That was sooo long ago and before his catastrophic knee injury.

7 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

But not drafting Jones and have him sit while signing Bridgewater to compete with McCoy for the starting gig. You know have a rookie sit like Mahomes did. You than have 3 QBs (two with high potential to start). Bridgewater has a productive year, he than becomes trade bait the following year with Jones ready to start. 

Your so against this, its as though you havent even thought about it. This could be a Nick Foles Carson Wentz situation or Tom Brady Jimmy G. The thing about it is you play your cards right your more than likely to come away with at least a 2nd round pick in 2020 (at least that what your hoping) McCoy want get you anything but a top 5 pick, while Bridgewater will still give you a top 15-20 plus and extra 2nd round pick (at least) 

I just still don’t see they’d want to sign a higher priced free agent than Colt McCoy who at best wins them a few more games and our record is at best 8-8 aka as average as can be and we’ll be drafting in the mid to high teens again in the 2020 draft instead of the top 10 or even top 5. 

I’m confused, so now you’ve moved the goal post to say the reason you want Bridgewater is bc of some hope and prayer than Bridgewater plays better than he ever has in his entire pro career that we can trade him for a 2nd round pick? Which, we could never get in return for Kirk Cousins back in 2013 or 2014?

People aren’t going to trade a 2nd for Bridgewater after his catastrophic knee injury and I don’t think it’s wise to sign Bridgewater to a multi-year deal which, we’d also need to be able to trade him in the 2020 offseason. Bridgewater is not Carson Wentz and certainty isn’t a recently drafted Jimmy G who’s young and been developing behind Brady. This is an extreme reach.

So yeah, that ain’t happening man. 

Also, yeah, I’d much rather have a top 10 or 5 pick bc McCoy is our QB in 2019 than to have a 1st round pick in the teens and an extra 2nd round pick, which won’t happen, but let’s just say that it does.

In case you can’t tell, the Redskins have a lot of young ok to good talent with a few players who are above average and a few that look like they’ll be great very soon. They don’t need to draft more average to good players, they need game changers in the draft and the best chance to get that is to have a top 10 or top 5 pick in the 2020 draft. The best chance to get that high pick is to roll with McCoy, Josh Johnson and a rookie that they draft at some point in the 2019 draft. 

Perferably, I’d like to draft Brett Rypien in round 3 to develop for the future, and then start Colt McCoy. Johnson or Rypien will probably play at some point bc Colt always gets hurt. So, that likely leads to a 4 win to at very best a 7 win season but most likely 5-11 or 6-10 and then, in 2020 we draft Tua, Fromm or Herbert to be our starting QB in 2020 and hopefully for the long term aka, next 15-20 years.

Archived