UPDATE: Edelman has complete ACL tear

Deadpulse

What happens to Edelman?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Does this spell the end of Edelman's Patriots career at age 31?

• No, he will recover and continue one
    • No, he will recover but never be the same
    • Yes, Patriots move on with no guaranteed money left on his contract
    • Yes, he will not fully recover and likely won't be productive

He was already slowing down a bit, so I hope he can come back from this with no noticable drop in agility, else his place on the team will be in jeopardy next year (provided we retain our current WR core ofc). I'm rooting for him though, his toughness made him one of my favourite Pats player.

He's probably out for the season. Lets just work on that basis.

Cooks value goes up, and I wonder if we'll use him like we do Edelman. I thought Cooks was going to be used to take the top off the defence, but we might see him crossing a lot now. Brady looks Edelman's way quite often. He will notice this. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Cooks value goes up, and I wonder if we'll use him like we do Edelman. I thought Cooks was going to be used to take the top off the defence, but we might see him crossing a lot now. Brady looks Edelman's way quite often. He will notice this. 

It's possible, but I would imagine that Amendola/Mitchell will be asked to do more 'Edelman things' than Cooks. Cooks is equally as capable but his skillset can't be mimicked by any other player, so it'd be wasteful in a way. 

Feel really bad for Edelman, though. Toughest guy on the team and this offense was coming in fully loaded, but not now. Even if Amendola/Mitchell fill in with playing time, they both haven't exactly had clean bills of health. I guess this gives Carr a much better shot at a roster spot, if anything.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think Amendola and Mitchell will split Edelman's catches, rather than Cooks' role changing.

Interestingly, this might save a RB. You could argue that Lewis (or whichever RB might have been for the chop) adds more to the roster than an UDFA WR.

Did anyone else think it didn't look that bad at first? I thought it was a hammy or he stiffed his leg when landing just like Lewis did on the kick off in the playoffs last year.

He got up so quickly and seemed to rest his elbows I wasn't as worried as I am now.

Archived