2018 Starting Quarterback

pwny

I wish Flacco wasn't locked into that super expensive contract. He looks pretty bad this season, but I definitely think there's something left in the tank and he can still be a top halfish QB. Would be good for a year or two imo. 

Doesn't seem to be a plausible option at all tho

25 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

have u watched him?

just a quick box score scouting but 66.4% completion percentage isnt accurate?

the turnovers arent bad. 2 ints 1 fumble in 3 games. plus it was his first 3 real playing time in the NFL. 

i definitely think AJ can definitely be atleast a bridge QB and can be an effective Game Manager. 

The whole point of getting a new Quarterback for next season would ostensibly be so that we don't have to endure more of neutered Bortles, and so that maybe every once in awhile, we might be able to complete some actual passes downfield rather than an aggravating string of checkdowns tossed in the general vicinity of someone underneath.  Like, maybe having an actual passing game to complement Fournette.

AJ McCarron is a typical backup QB checkdown aficionado who struggles with any sort of "real" window throws, and eats sacks like they're tasty snacks.  I don't know what the box scores say, but if they're telling you he's anything other than that, they're lying.

If you told me we could give McCarron a shot this season and without actually giving up any sort of pick of any value or anything...i'd consider it.  But if that's our "solution" to the QB spot going into next season, they've made a huge mistake...especially if we're giving up a valuable pick in the process.  The point to a new QB would be to actually improve the position, not to seek out new ways to continue to get mostly inadequate play next season.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

The whole point of getting a new Quarterback for next season would ostensibly be so that we don't have to endure more of neutered Bortles, and so that maybe every once in awhile, we might be able to complete some actual passes downfield rather than an aggravating string of checkdowns tossed in the general vicinity of someone underneath.  Like, maybe having an actual passing game to complement Fournette.

AJ McCarron is a typical backup QB checkdown aficionado who struggles with any sort of "real" window throws, and eats sacks like they're tasty snacks.  I don't know what the box scores say, but if they're telling you he's anything other than that, they're lying.

If you told me we could give McCarron a shot this season and without actually giving up any sort of pick of any value or anything...i'd consider it.  But if that's our "solution" to the QB spot going into next season, they've made a huge mistake...especially if we're giving up a valuable pick in the process.  The point to a new QB would be to actually improve the position, not to seek out new ways to continue to get mostly inadequate play next season.

Yeah, if we could have gotten McCarron back in TC or even now at a relatively low price I would have been down to give him a shot. But boy would that be awfully depressing if he was "the guy" going into next year. 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:53 PM, iPwn said:

The situation in Minnesota just got a little interesting.

Sam Bradford has “wear and tear” on his knee joint, which could mean arthritis or some sort of degenerative condition. He’s likely out long term, even as a backup for Minnesota. And very well likely may be done as a stop gap answer for a team.

Teddy Bridgewater becomes eligible to come off of PUP next week, and will be meeting with his surgeon on Monday to see if that’s viable. Because Teddy was on PUP for 6 games, his contract tolls and he’s under contract with the Vikings through 2018.

Even if Teddy comes back, unless he unequivocally proves he’s the starter, you have to think they’ll be in the market for another potential starter.

Missed this earlier, but ooof, that's a double-whammy to the potential QB market this summer.

The Bradford/Bridgewater scenario was one of the only potential "surplus" situations out there that might spill over with a potential starter option.  Now, not only is that extremely unlikely to happen...but you're right, in that unless Teddy comes back and plays lights out, it's probably actually adding another "deficit" QB-needy team to the mix.  And one with obvious "win now" aspirations, ie. competition for guys like Smith and Cousins.

Booo.  Even other teams can't rely on Sam Bradford's knees to stay healthy.  :(  Wouldn't be surprising if there's some sort of condition there after all he's been through though.  Sucks for everyone.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Missed this earlier, but ooof, that's a double-whammy to the potential QB market this summer.

The Bradford/Bridgewater scenario was one of the only potential "surplus" situations out there that might spill over with a potential starter option.  Now, not only is that extremely unlikely to happen...but you're right, in that unless Teddy comes back and plays lights out, it's probably actually adding another "deficit" QB-needy team to the mix.  And one with obvious "win now" aspirations, ie. competition for guys like Smith and Cousins.

Booo.  Even other teams can't rely on Sam Bradford's knees to stay healthy.  :(  Wouldn't be surprising if there's some sort of condition there after all he's been through though.  Sucks for everyone.

Yeah, it sucks.

One really expected that Minnesota would probably end up keeping Teddy and Bradford and kept themselves out of the market. Teddy’s contract was tolling this year as soon as he started the regular season on PUP, so that’s not surprising. But you expected that they’d either be keeping Bradford as that insurance (given their investment into him) or be sure enough in Teddy’s situation to be able to go forward with just him.

Or one would expect that Bradford would hit the market and at least be a stop gap in the vein that we were talking about Alex Smith before. I would prefer not taking him because of the injuries, but he’d at least fill that option for someone. Matching up a team with a QB takes a team out of the pool.

But now Teddy won’t hit the market, Minnesota is still going to either be in on one of the stop gap options or a long term solution, and now Bradford may have lost his value as a stop gap for a team that would want to push their need to make a decision on a QB out a year. Just an all around bad, bad situation for teams in our position who needs to maneuver themselves above other teams.

The Giants situation kinda sucks for us too. They’re bad enough that they might find themselves in a situation that they take a QB #1-#3 overall, but Eli probably isn’t going to budge from his no trade clause because he probably wants to finish his career out as the de facto most prolific QB in the history of the largest NFL market.

Could be another team taking a QB without letting an option hit the market.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Well hes probably one of the cheaper options available in fa unless u want savage/geno smith

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Look at the fa class.  Its very bleh unless u going 30 or so on kirk cousins

I’m aware of the class. I wrote the OP that includes the list of potential available players.

Why does cheap matter?

38 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I’m aware of the class. I wrote the OP that includes the list of potential available players.

Why does cheap matter?

so we can UPGRADE this OLINE that isnt as good as we all think it is. 

does anyone have a PFF subscription so we can see Fournettes yards after contact? 

56 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:
1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Why does cheap matter?

does anyone have a PFF subscription so we can see Fournettes yards after contact? 

We have a lot of money. Besides, a better QB will keep defenses from stacking the box as much as they do.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

The team currently has $49 million in available cap space.

That number changes to $68 million if we rescind Blake’s option.

That number changes to $72 million if Marcedes retires.

That number changes to $78 million if they cut Ivory.

That number changes to $80 million if they cut Rivera.

That number changes to $87 million if they cut Hurns.

—————

Now, let’s say they pick #8 overall. That puts the cost of draft picks at roughly $7M. That leaves $80 Mill. The draft picks should have at least one player 

Let’s say they decide to give Lee $8M/year to match the deal Robert Woods got. Let’s assume they don’t backload it. That leaves $72M.

Let’s say they Franchise Allen Robinson. That’s $16M. That leaves $56M.

Let’s say Telvin gets the richest WLB contract in history. Let’s assume they give him the same structure Keuchly got, and let’s even put another $2M into that first year to sweeten the deal because we’re not a good team. That puts the year one cost at $8M. That leaves $48M.

Lets say they give away $13M for random top 51 depth contracts. They won’t. But we can assume. That leaves $35M. 

Let’s assume they bring in a Kicker for $4M/year. That would give them one of the 4 highest paid Kickers in the NFL. That leaves $31M.

Let’s assume they give someone the same deal that Zeitler got. There’s no one in this class as good as Zeitler, but we can assume. That leaves $22M.

Also - if the player they draft or sign plays RT, you cut Parnell and save another $5M.

Backload a contract, and you can get any QB you want at any price. There is absolutely no reason to want a QB because he’ll be cheaper. Pay whatever capital they need; whether it be cash or draft, to get the answer. Don’t jerk around with this “well this guy would be cheaper” nonsense.

Archived