Vikings209 Offseason

vikings209

Vikings Offseason

Everyone knows that the Vikings are going to have make some very tough decisions this year. Whether that's cutting a player or not resigning a certain player. With that being said let jump right to the cuts.

Andrew Sendejo- He became expendable after his injury this past year and when Harris filled in for him.

Mike Remmers- Solid right tackle but horrible guard. With Brian O'Neill playing well at RT last year we won't need Remmers services there. And there is no way the coaching staff keeps him at RG.

Kyle Rudolph- Here is one of those difficult decisions we have to make. While Rudy has been a great member of the team since being drafted his cap number is just too big to carry. I don't think we'll try to work out an extension or a restructure so we say goodbye to a fan favorite.

Trades

Laquon Treadwell to Oakland for Chicago's 6th rounder the 184th overall. While we don't get much for him we do get something. Gruden and Mayock loved him coming out of college and they take a swing on him.

Trae Waynes to the Colts for the 34th overall. Waynes has developed into a very good number 2 corner in the NFL and last year he was arguably the CB on the team. But with Hughes coming back and Hill stepping up we really don't need him.

Everson Griffen to New England for the 74th overall. The Pats need a pass rusher and the Vikings need cap relief. With the way Weatherly played in Griffens absent last year makes this an easier move. And works for the Patriots too because they get a player that is just a year removed from double digit sack numbers and an easy contract to get out of if it doesn't work out.

So after all the cuts and trades we should have roughly 46 mil in cap space according to overthecap.com.

In House FA.

Anthony Barr- 5yr 60mil the big money contract comes down to Richardson or Barr and Barr wins out. I think Zimmer will push Spielman to pay Barr after all  Barr was Zimmers first pick. Another deciding factor is that this draft there a plethora of 3 tech DT.

Nick Easton- 1yr 2.5mil prove it deal. Easton was a good guard in 2017. After missing all of last year with a neck injury Easton signs a prove it deal to try and prove that he still has it.

Aldrick Robinson 1yr 2.5mil Robinson has great chemistry with Cousins. Robinson might not be the number 3 WR we need but he can be a solid number 4.

Tom Johnson 2yr 8mil Johnson has been a great rotational DT. He's able to step in and be a starter if need be but he is definitely better as a rotational guy.

Dan Bailey 1yr 2mil Bailey is given one more chance to turn his career.

Marcus Sherels- 2yr 7mil. Sherels is like a bad penny just can't get rid of him. Not much of a defender but he is a ST ace.

All ERFA will be tendered.

Anthony Harris will be tendered at a 2nd round tender.

FA

Mike Iupati 1yr 3.5mil Iupati is a serviceable starting guard. Iupati has a long injury history but when he plays he is good enough to be a starter.

Draft

Rd 1 DT Ed Oliver Most people will say this is wishful thinking getting Oliver at 18 but I think with him missing 4 games last year and him being undersized allows him to drop. Plus remember Shariff Floyd was supposed to be a top 5 pick.

Rd 2 TE Noah Fant. Fant has everything you want from a receiving TE he can run routes well has soft hands can jump with the best of them. Not much of a blocker though.

Rd 2 G Chris Lindstrom. The former BC guard doesn't do anything that will wow anyone but he does everything well. He'll come in and compete for a starting spot.

Rd 3 WR. Riley Ridley. Ridley will easily come in and take the 3rd WR spot. He was inconsistent a bit in college but that could be because of the scheme and offensive talent around him.

Rd 3 DE Joe Jackson. After trading away Everson, DE is moved up on the teams board. Jackson has the length that Zim likes in his DE.

Rd 4 LB Khalil Hodge. Hodge can come in and complete with Geodon even if he doesn't win the job he will be a stud on ST.

Rd 5 traded

Rd 6 RB David Montgomery: Should excel in a one cut and go run game. He can come in and be a short yardage back right away.

Rd 6 CB Mark Gilbert: Zim likes his corners. Gilbert is a tall lanky guy who can excel under the tutelage of the Cornerback Whisper. He will need to put on some muscle in order to really jam some of the bigger WR.

Rd 6(comp) OT Trey Pipkins. Vikings look to add more to the offensive line. He was one of the best players at East-West Shrine game. Given a little bit of development he can easily become a starter on the right side when O'Neill goes to the left.

Rd 7(comp) TE Donald Pernham. Vikings take a swing on the tallest TE in the draft. Could develop into a redzone target.

Rd 7(comp) QB Brett Rypien. Vikings make a former Super Bowl MVP nephew their final selection.

A third for Griffen is a bit idealistic, but if they're offered something like that, I bet they would jump at it.

a sixth for Treadwell is probably wishful thinking too when Corey Coleman went for a future 7th, but like you said, Mayock and Gruden did like him, so that oculd be all it takes.

-----

3.5M per year is far too much for Sherels though, no pure special teamer, no matter how good, is worth that much in salary, and Iupati is a poor fit for our running scheme.  Likely "too much" activity when compared to what this team will likely do, but it's a solid offseason.

Ive been working on a Mock Offseason for a little while now & Im just going to say that you stole a lot of my thunder including 3 draft selections.  With that said I think its pretty easy to say I like your take on the offseason

13 hours ago, vikings209 said:

Tom Johnson 2yr 8mil Johnson has been a great rotational DT. He's able to step in and be a starter if need be but he is definitely better as a rotational guy.

This is a lot of money for him. I think he could be signed for around the veteran minimum, possibly a little more.

With that being said I love the draft.

With Johnson I figured that he would want close to what he made last year. He signed with us for the min but he also got paid from Seattle last year too. And for Sherels 3.5 mil is that much for him not only does he return punts and sometimes kicks plus he's also one of the best gunners in league.

The one thing I left off was Thielen's extension because I think that's something they will address during the season. Something like a 3-4 year deal worth between 10-12 mil a year.

It is always fun to look at a mock offseason.  I like most of the moves with the current team--letting go of Sendejo, Remmers, getting a pick for Griffen, and probably saying so long to Rudolph. I would rather take a chance on Easton than have Compton back.  Draft rounds 1-4 all look like solid hits.

I would prefer to trade Rhodes over Waynes.  With our current DB situation I would like to keep the more consistent player.  With Hughes returning from injury, Hill a second year player, and an improving Alexander, I would rather pair them with a guy I can count on to be in the line-up almost every week over the more talent player who does have some injury/decline questions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Barr stay, but am not really of fan of what he produces at the price point.  I do like Hodges as a part of the LB corp if Barr were to leave.

Iupati doesn't seem like a fit to me.

Thanks for putting this together.

This is quite a bit different than the off-season that I’m working on.  I like it, but I would like to see the OL upgraded a bit more.  I’m not so sure that Lindstrom will be there by our 2nd pick and I don’t like Iupati at all.  He doesn’t really fit our blocking scheme, is way too injury prone like a lot of the OL issues we’ve had in the past, and even when he was healthy and playing at a pro bowl level he was still terrible at pass protection.  Personally I don’t see any good OG upgrades in free agency this year and even though I don’t love the idea I think it might make more sense to just restructure Remmers and keep him as a versatile back/fringe starter.

11 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

This is quite a bit different than the off-season that I’m working on.  I like it, but I would like to see the OL upgraded a bit more.  I’m not so sure that Lindstrom will be there by our 2nd pick and I don’t like Iupati at all.  He doesn’t really fit our blocking scheme, is way too injury prone like a lot of the OL issues we’ve had in the past, and even when he was healthy and playing at a pro bowl level he was still terrible at pass protection.  Personally I don’t see any good OG upgrades in free agency this year and even though I don’t love the idea I think it might make more sense to just restructure Remmers and keep him as a versatile back/fringe starter.

I would rather keep Compton and cut Remmers. I think Compton gives you what Remmers does at a much lower price.

Archived