A Hitch At Linebacker - Hitchens Out 8 Weeks

WizardHawk

On 8/27/2017 at 10:39 PM, Desperado82 said:

I liked Ragland going into the draft. Know he was viewed as a 1st round prospect by some, so somewhat surprising to see him as a potential cut.

I LOVED Ragland; he hasn't lived up to my expectations honestly. BUt I love his style of play. It is that old school ball-seeking-missile, sledgehammer type who plays with patience to find the lane the ball carrier will likely pick before moving, violently, to stuff it.

He lacks for cover skills and has horrendous hips so he likely won't improve much in this area. And he has a tendency to get slipped pretty easily in the open field. But if you ask him to stuff a hole and hammer any ballcarrier leaving the box, he can play like Mike Singletary. Depending on the system he could develop into a very high caliber player. BUt not many defenses play that style of defense anymore...because not many offenses play that style of offfense anymore. 

On this team, I could see him playing a role on the unit in certain formations and packages. But I'd be careful about expecting him to play a large role on this kind of defense.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:54 PM, Dallas94Ware said:

I LOVED Ragland; he hasn't lived up to my expectations honestly. BUt I love his style of play. It is that old school ball-seeking-missile, sledgehammer type who plays with patience to find the lane the ball carrier will likely pick before moving, violently, to stuff it.

He lacks for cover skills and has horrendous hips so he likely won't improve much in this area. And he has a tendency to get slipped pretty easily in the open field. But if you ask him to stuff a hole and hammer any ballcarrier leaving the box, he can play like Mike Singletary. Depending on the system he could develop into a very high caliber player. BUt not many defenses play that style of defense anymore...because not many offenses play that style of offfense anymore. 

On this team, I could see him playing a role on the unit in certain formations and packages. But I'd be careful about expecting him to play a large role on this kind of defense.

He hasn't had a chance to. He was touted as a 3-4 ILB, blew his knee out before the season and the team transitioned to a 4-3 where he doesn't quite fit.

52 minutes ago, Jlash said:

He hasn't had a chance to. He was touted as a 3-4 ILB, blew his knee out before the season and the team transitioned to a 4-3 where he doesn't quite fit.

Yeah, thats true too. His injury was quite a setback. But I wouldnt say he is a clear cut and dry 34 inside backer. There are plenty of 43 alignments I could see him playing mike or sam in. Maybe some SAM role in ours even, but mostly the Mike in some of the more traditional 43 front systems.

Archived