BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

27 minutes ago, PR said:

Practical and the no votes on Proposition 3 together makes me laugh.

If you back my 2020 Draft change proposals I will switch my vote on 3. 

Which are basically something everyone should want anyway too.

1 minute ago, PR said:

This is not looking for a handout SirA. This is not a pull yourself up by uour bootstraps moment. This rule already exists for unlocked. No team locked or unlocked should be forced to carry a retired player on their team all season. 

Nor should they be forced to get rid of a player if they retire which this new rule does. It doesn't give an owner any options and removes the choice from them.

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

If you back my 2020 Draft change proposals I will switch my vote on 3. 

Which are basically something everyone should want anyway too.

So If I alone back your proposal you will change your vote? 

If yes, done.

Just now, SirA1 said:

Nor should they be forced to get rid of a player if they retire which this new rule does. It doesn't give an owner any options and removes the choice from them.

Why cant we just have a tab for retiring players and if they do return to the game the team that had those rights when they retired can choose to keep or trade them within a certain window of time?

7 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Just to clarify. The owner should have the choice to release them or not if they retire, I don't think that someone else in the league should be responsible for removing players from your roster for you.

6 minutes ago, PR said:

Why cant we just have a tab for retiring players and if they do return to the game the team that had those rights when they retired can choose to keep or trade them within a certain window of time?

Eh I don't like this if there's no cap penalty to it. I'd "sign" every retiree just in case. Plus then we'll have people trading rights to retired players.

Also to get ahead of myself, I thought a practice squad would be a cool idea at first but then when I thought about logistics I very much dislike the idea. We already have large enough rosters if you want to "hoard" younger players.

I'll just go ahead and do an opening statement for my proposal to streamline and simplify the draft for 2020.

Ted can pretty this up later. 

Currently we have a 7 round draft two weeks before the NFL Draft with players in round 1 getting 5 year deals, rounds 2-4 getting 4 year deals and rounds 5-7 getting 3 year deals. Followed by 2 Rounds of PFA (Priority Free Agent) Scramble which is similar to Waiver wire but is after the draft so you know where the players go and can grab guys from your favorite team or that went higher than expected.

Proposed Change for 2020 draft.

5 Rounds of Draft with all players on 4 year deals (just like the NFL)

4 Rounds of PFA Scramble (we used to have this many in the early years so it's not a huge change.) With the new twist in being able to trade these picks now but only during the draft that they are attached to similar to how drafted players can be traded during the draft.

For those who have already traded for extra 2020 6th and 7th round picks it's a simple matter to work out the order for those rounds and then then convert those Extra picks on a one time basis into something like Comp picks at the end of round 5. With the obvious caveat that once we vote this in you can no longer trade 6th/7th round picks. 

Edit: We could also test out the PFA trade rules this year as well even though there are only 2 rounds. I think it will add an interesting twist for sure.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

Eh I don't like this if there's no cap penalty to it. I'd "sign" every retiree just in case. Plus then we'll have people trading rights to retired players.

No I meant that if they are there and that cb player announces his return (Witten) the original team gets to choose to keep or trade at that time. Thebrights would not be tradeable otherwise.

14 minutes ago, PR said:

We already have a rule that says unlocked players that retire can disappear off roster. This is completely different from IR and PS because eventually they may come back. You sometimes hit and miss with FAs because the thought was to get a guy that may help and imhas a good bet to win a position but is cut and still again may resurface. Retired is retired. The player no longer intends to play period. The team is not on the hook salary wise, yet here if a player is signed or resigned that year they are locked into a contract with a guy that chose to forefit his money and leave the game. The team already is penalized because they dont get to use a player they intended to use. We don't sign players hoping they retire. There is no advantage to that.

As I was joking around with JLash you guys are basically acting like this...

"You get an advantage because you get cap space later in the season because he retired!"

When in reality, if we knew he was going to retire we wouldnt have used the cap space to begin with to sign the guy.

This is not looking for a handout SirA. This is not a pull yourself up by uour bootstraps moment. This rule already exists for unlocked. No team locked or unlocked should be forced to carry a retired player on their team all season. 

All right, I see it now.  Unlynch No on 3, Approve 3

32 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I'll just go ahead and do an opening statement for my proposal to streamline and simplify the draft for 2020.

Ted can pretty this up later. 

Currently we have a 7 round draft two weeks before the NFL Draft with players in round 1 getting 5 year deals, rounds 2-4 getting 4 year deals and rounds 5-7 getting 3 year deals. Followed by 2 Rounds of PFA (Priority Free Agent) Scramble which is similar to Waiver wire but is after the draft so you know where the players go and can grab guys from your favorite team or that went higher than expected.

Proposed Change for 2020 draft.

5 Rounds of Draft with all players on 4 year deals (just like the NFL)

4 Rounds of PFA Scramble (we used to have this many in the early years so it's not a huge change.) With the new twist in being able to trade these picks now but only during the draft that they are attached to similar to how drafted players can be traded during the draft.

For those who have already traded for extra 2020 6th and 7th round picks it's a simple matter to work out the order for those rounds and then then convert those Extra picks on a one time basis into something like Comp picks at the end of round 5. With the obvious caveat that once we vote this in you can no longer trade 6th/7th round picks. 

Edit: We could also test out the PFA trade rules this year as well even though there are only 2 rounds. I think it will add an interesting twist for sure.

Can we add a "5th year option" to first rounders in this proposal to keep it like the NFL like you're trying to do?

I think the "people who traded 6th and 7th rounders" is going to be the biggest hurdle in this proposal, I think we need to get that part figured out.

Archived