BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

Can we add a "5th year option" to first rounders in this proposal to keep it like the NFL like you're trying to do?

I think the "people who traded 6th and 7th rounders" is going to be the biggest hurdle in this proposal, I think we need to get that part figured out.

You will still be able be able to use a 5th year option on a player that has a 5th year option IRL. You just won't get a discount like you are with the way it is structured now.

Changing everything to 4 years removes the whole Derek Carr/David Johnson situations of the last couple of years as RFA's but still adds good players into the RFA pool by adding more PFA's that will then become ERFA and eventually RFA's.

It just simplifies things so that there aren't complicated variations to keep track of in the BDL for a few players.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

No to the practice squad and no to changing the draft to 5 rounds.  I would absolutely hate both those.

7+2 = 5+4

It's the same thing only you have better knowledge and are able to get a better hit rate on prospects.

7 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I think the "people who traded 6th and 7th rounders" is going to be the biggest hurdle in this proposal, I think we need to get that part figured out.

Addressing this separately as we have done something like this before when we contracted the league. So it again isn't something new.

Currently there are only 4 teams that have a 6th and 7th round pick in 2020 that aren't theirs. Those 4 teams based off of how the team's picks they own finish would get those 4 picks after the 5th round of that draft. It's that simple.

2 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I think there's probably too much going on in one proposal, IMO but I don't feel strongly one way or the other

This is why I was wanting to do this in the Summer because the entire point is to Simplify the league so that there are less Rules to keep up with.

We can't just keep adding amendments to rules to deal with corner cases. We need to simplify them and make them more streamlined.

1. Standardizing the Contract years of Drafted players to 4 years removes a lot of the need for corner case rules.

2. The hit rate on 6th and 7th round picks is abysmal for most teams. Getting those same picks but with a little more knowledge will help teams get better and create more parity in the league.

Just now, SirA1 said:

7+2 = 5+4

It's the same thing only you have better knowledge and are able to get a better hit rate on prospects.

It is not the same thing.  I think BDL is better when people have to do their own homework and use picks on guys they like.  Not just follow along where players are drafted.  The only 'better knowledge' we would have is draft position.  The better hit rate thing doesn't really fit either.  The entire draft is a crapshoot. 

Also, I am strongly against exchanging tradeable picks for nontradeable ones.

I am adamantly against this idea.

I think BDL is better when people have to do their own homework and use picks on guys they like

Yea, this rule basically hurts the people that put in work to scout guys who fit them, and benefits guys who are just hunting for scheme fits on their current team.

I'm not totally against the change, because frankly I don't think a ton of people in this league care to do their own research to find who they like, but I'm totally against changing it until 2021 when no one has traded picks already. SirA can we work around that?

I like seven round drafts. It may not always benefit the team but the evaluation process is part of my enjoyment here. I’d wager the hit rates per round are similar to the NFL in each round.

Just now, Jlash said:

Yea, this rule basically hurts the people that put in work to scout guys who fit them, and benefits guys who are just hunting for scheme fits on their current team.

I'm not totally against the change, because frankly I don't think a ton of people in this league care to do their own research to find who they like, but I'm totally against changing it until 2021 when no one has traded picks already. SirA can we work around that?

One of my favorite parts of BDL is doing the research and scouting guys.  Which I turn into many, many mock drafts.  I understand streamlining the rules, but I'm strongly against rules that encourage laziness in the draft itself.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

It is not the same thing.  I think BDL is better when people have to do their own homework and use picks on guys they like.  Not just follow along where players are drafted.  The only 'better knowledge' we would have is draft position.  The better hit rate thing doesn't really fit either.  The entire draft is a crapshoot. 

Also, I am strongly against exchanging tradeable picks for nontradeable ones.

I am adamantly against this idea.

You are talking about 32 random players. Versus knowing draft position, Scheme fit, Depth Chart, UDFA status. I would say you have a slight advantage in getting a player to stick on your BDL roster.

The picks would both be tradable but the PFA ones only during the draft to make it more exciting. Example: a player you want has dropped so you agree to trade one of your PFA slots to trade back into the end of the last round to take them. Some teams may not want all their PFA slots if they are near the roster so could trade them to move up earlier in the draft to teams that have only a few picks.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

One of my favorite parts of BDL is doing the research and scouting guys.  Which I turn into many, many mock drafts.  I understand streamlining the rules, but I'm strongly against rules that encourage laziness in the draft itself.

Couldn't have said it any better my friend.

I see it as after 100 guys it's not really worth to Scout much more than that.

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

How big of a difference is 4 picks after the first 100 to delay something coming online for a year?

Just now, SirA1 said:

I see it as after 100 guys it's not really worth to Scout much more than that.

Except that I can always get guys from my 75-100 range in the 6th and 7th rounds.  I enjoy those late round fliers.  

Archived