BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

Just now, bcb1213 said:

Well the basis for you original argument was to eliminate teams 5-8 was that they get blown out and thus don't deserve to be there .  A counterargument could be made that you the two seed got blown out so you didn't deserve to be there and he the seven seed did 

If Sydney had played Hawaii round 1 last year, Sydney would have won. Does Sydney deserve to be in? This is such a weird argument lol

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

If he had a fourth healthy corner would it tho?  We'll never know 

I don't understand how this is relevant. 

None of the games were close. I don't care what teams were involved or for what reason. This is not about my team losing or anything. Sure, I didn't deserve the playoffs last year, is that what you want to hear bcb? My argument is the same regardless of where my team falls in the standings 

Let me say this once more, for emphasis. THIS ARGUMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY TEAM OR MY PLAYOFF LOSS. 

I am trying to avoid as much conversation as possible on my team's finish. I want this to be as objective as a discussion as possible. I'm making this argument whether my team makes the playoffs or not. I'm making this argument whether I lost to Hawaii or not. 

This is about what I believe is the best structure for the league and I'm ready to use any objective information to do so

2 hours ago, Whicker said:

#2 OKC vs #7 Hawaii - 8-2

#1 Orlando vs #8 Long Beach - 11-2

#3 Rome vs #6 Ivory Coast - 13-1

#4 Seoul vs #5 Louisiana - 9-3

The first round of our playoffs already do not exist. The games are determined before writeups are sent in.

Parity does not exist in this league. We do not have a system of determining randomness for outcomes that differ from expectations. The regular season is well enough time to determine legitimate contenders, cinderella stories, and bad teams. One extra round of playoffs does nothing to alter who the best teams are that year.

Both you and I lost as higher seeds this year. Hawaii won the BB as the 7th seed. Last year it was Rome with the 6th. You're argument has little merit historically

(Though I'm on board for a 6 team playoffs for very different reasons)

4 hours ago, Whicker said:

What team "missed" the playoffs this year. As in, what legitimate contender did we have to say "tough ****, better luck next year" to?

Not one.

Gotham gave up half way through the year and he knew he wasn't going to make it.

Camden and Berlin had QB issues and knew they weren't going to make it.

Sydney and Portland were among the worst teams last year and knew they weren't going to make it.

Cuba? Cuba is the only team that was disappointed by their regular season performance last year IMO

I was disappointed. I just kept getting nailed by injuries...

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Both you and I lost as higher seeds this year. Hawaii won the BB as the 7th seed. Last year it was Rome with the 6th. You're argument has little merit historically

That was.... not my argument...

It's also... not... my only argument.

I'm trying SO hard to get frustrated again.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

#2 OKC vs #7 Hawaii - 8-2

#1 Orlando vs #8 Long Beach - 11-2

#3 Rome vs #6 Ivory Coast - 13-1

#4 Seoul vs #5 Louisiana - 9-3

The first round of our playoffs already do not exist. The games are determined before writeups are sent in.

Parity does not exist in this league. We do not have a system of determining randomness for outcomes that differ from expectations. The regular season is well enough time to determine legitimate contenders, cinderella stories, and bad teams. One extra round of playoffs does nothing to alter who the best teams are that year.

My proposal is to make it where we don't have 50% of the teams make the playoffs. My proposal is that we actually have drama at the end of the year in the playoff race instead of everyone who wanted to make it making it. My proposal is that we actually have a meaningful first round of playoffs where games aren't decided before they're played.

What team "missed" the playoffs this year. As in, what legitimate contender did we have to say "tough ****, better luck next year" to?

Not one.

Gotham gave up half way through the year and he knew he wasn't going to make it.

Camden and Berlin had QB issues and knew they weren't going to make it.

Sydney and Portland were among the worst teams last year and knew they weren't going to make it.

Cuba? Cuba is the only team that was disappointed by their regular season performance last year IMO

I'm afraid to really comment on this because it was my team involved and I don't want to sound salty.

But Hawaii did not deserve to win that game. They fielded THREE TOTAL CORNERBACKS against a team who's fourth WR is a #1 WR in the NFL. The only reason Hawaii won was because of Cam Newton's injury. That is the only reason. If Newton had been healthy, the score of the game would have equally as lopsided, and the argumentation would have been the same.

Hawaii should have missed the playoffs last year. Week 1 they made a major coaching error that cost them a winnable game. IMO, Hawaii should look back at that and say "damn, if I had just done a little thing different, I would have made the playoffs and maybe won a championship!"

Hawaii, IMO, is not at all a reason why a 7 seed should make it

Archived