BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

So when you're agreeing with Whicker you're not agreeing with Whicker 

Long as we're on the same page 

For your other points you may get two or three that won't lax as much but you may get two or three that punt earlier in the year as well 

Whicker has said multiple times throughout this thread that he wants a reduction. He would prefer 4, but he has also talked about 5-6-7. Since 5 & 7 are not evenly accommodating both conferences the only other legitimate reduction would be 6. I know he is spastic at some points in his posts, but he has said that fact at minimum 3 times since this discussion started.

Just now, PR said:

Do you have a lack of faith in the perseverance of the owners in this league of trying to compete for spots?

Disingenuous way of asking the question, but I'll answer.

In an 8 team playoff, even if someone drops to 3-5 or 3-6...they could go on a run late in the year to sneak in to the playoffs.  If it's a 6 team playoff, they really don't have that hope.  So while they may turn into a write up, a fair bit of the fun is lost.  That's the effect I think this change would have.  

8 minutes ago, PR said:

In the NBA 16/30 Make it. (53%)

In the MLB 10/30 Make it (30%)

In the NFL 12/32 Make it (37%)

Right now we have 8/16 teams making it in (50%) If we cut down to 6, we are still at 37% which is the same percentage as the NFL. 

The regular season is supposed to matter to make it to the post season. Not everyone gets into Fantasy league playoffs so why do we continue to have a system that puts a high percentage of teams into the playoffs. It would make people be more serious about doing their lineups and strategies. Not be lax and jack around. 

Bcb's earlier post said it, for the fun of it.

I don't see why we need to reduce the playoffs. Like what's the actual reason fewer people should not have a shot at the bizzbowl? 50% chance to make the playoffs every year is where it should be for a fantasy league that requires the time and effort BDL does.

By eliminating more people from the playoffs earlier you're making it easier for the playoff teams since the teams won't try as hard once they're basically eliminated. 

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Disingenuous way of asking the question, but I'll answer.

In an 8 team playoff, even if someone drops to 3-5 or 3-6...they could go on a run late in the year to sneak in to the playoffs.  If it's a 6 team playoff, they really don't have that hope.  So while they may turn into a write up, a fair bit of the fun is lost.  That's the effect I think this change would have.  

Perhaps. It sucks to lose. (Says the person that typically loses a lot) Doesn't change my fun factor because it is a constant challenge to improve to get votes. 

I ask that particular question because between you and BCB you have taken the stance that people will punt writeups earlier because they aren't having fun. What Whicker has shown through his research is that people don't typically punt due to not being able to make the playoffs, but typically is associated with a real life occurrence. You are creating a scenario that hasn't occurred with our current system and are using it as reasoning for why we shouldn't make the change because it puts us at an increase of something that hasn't already occurred. 

4 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Bcb's earlier post said it, for the fun of it.

I don't see why we need to reduce the playoffs. Like what's the actual reason fewer people should not have a shot at the bizzbowl? 50% chance to make the playoffs every year is where it should be for a fantasy league that requires the time and effort BDL does.

By eliminating more people from the playoffs earlier you're making it easier for the playoff teams since the teams won't try as hard once they're basically eliminated. 

This is where people keep lacking evidence. Some people will punt the season not for the lack of enjoyment but to get the #1 pick in the draft the next season. 

4 minutes ago, PR said:

Perhaps. It sucks to lose. (Says the person that typically loses a lot) Doesn't change my fun factor because it is a constant challenge to improve to get votes. 

I ask that particular question because between you and BCB you have taken the stance that people will punt writeups earlier because they aren't having fun. What Whicker has shown through his research is that people don't typically punt due to not being able to make the playoffs, but typically is associated with a real life occurrence. You are creating a scenario that hasn't occurred with our current system and are using it as reasoning for why we shouldn't make the change because it puts us at an increase of something that hasn't already occurred. 

Of course Whicker research involves an 8 team playoff league and not a six. So if no one is punting now according to the research why should we risk that beginning 

2 minutes ago, PR said:

What Whicker actually showed is that when owners don't get a write up in, or a one liner, it is a usually due to real like circumstances.

The scenario I am stating has occurred every year.  Once you are out of the playoff hunt, some of the fun is gone.  That's just fact.  What this would do is cause this to happen earlier and more frequently.

4 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Of course Whicker research involves an 8 team playoff league and not a six. So if no one is punting now according to the research why should we risk that beginning 

That is fearmongering though. Don't do it because this will happen! But... has it happened before? No..

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

What Whicker actually showed is that when owners don't get a write up in, or a one liner, it is a usually due to real like circumstances.

The scenario I am stating has occurred every year.  Once you are out of the playoff hunt, some of the fun is gone.  That's just fact.  What this would do is cause this to happen earlier and more frequently.

Or could force teams to focus more on their team to try to improve at strategy. It's two sides to the same coin. One could happen or the other could happen. 

Just now, bcb1213 said:

Has it happened before in something we've never done.  Shockingly no lol 

No it's more of a question of... do you see people that are currently being eliminated being effected in a negative way due to their performance? If the answer is no, then why do you think it will happen if there are fewer teams? Is it because the teams that are eliminated last could be upset? Because the other teams are already handling it fine.

2 minutes ago, PR said:

Or could force teams to focus more on their team to try to improve at strategy. It's two sides to the same coin. One could happen or the other could happen. 

So one could happen or the other could happen but right now it's NOT HAPPENING so why mess with it. 

I think we're just gonna agree to disagree on this.  I'm a hard no on eliminating playoff teams 

4 minutes ago, PR said:

Who isnt already focusing on improving their teams?  You claim I'm discussing something that doesn't happen.  How are you not doing the same?

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Who isnt already focusing on improving their teams?  You claim I'm discussing something that doesn't happen.  How are you not doing the same?

There are times that people don't take into consideration coverage styles, offensive play styles, the insight of their own players and the repeat the same mistakes over and over again with the same result. This will help spur them into more research.

17 minutes ago, PR said:

This is where people keep lacking evidence. Some people will punt the season not for the lack of enjoyment but to get the #1 pick in the draft the next season. 

Indeed.

Archived