Someone had to make an Anti-Montez Sweat Thread

MistaBohmbastic

Do you like Montez Sweat  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Montez Sweat

40 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Ogbahs problem is that he’s shown zero improvement since his rookie year.

I’m not a hater and think he’s fine in a rotation, but candy ain’t wrong.

At some point we need to see some production and he’s likely gone either way after this season.

55 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If Landry got traded for so little, why should Ogbah be traded for/or valued as more?

tenor.gif?itemid=4937950

Oh sweet, innocent Tayne. You should know my answer to this question by now.

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4937950

Oh sweet, innocent Tayne. You should know my answer to this question by now.

Honestly, I can go through several likely things you mean, but tell me what you mean here.  Landry was an above average WR in the NFL who was healthy, young and in a contract year.  Ogbah is young and healthy in a contract year, but I am ready to shrug and move on if the offer is right.  I honestly don't see much more than a decent run defender at a position that gets overpaid in FA.  What do you see different?

FWIW, PFF had him rated as the #84 EDGE guy this past year.  I've had a hard time finding his stats vs. the run, though I remember they were pretty good.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Landry was an above average WR in the NFL who was healthy, young and in a contract year.

I actually get the comparison. I'm not so much knocking the asking price for Ogbah. I just don't think Landry is 1/4 as good as people thought he was at the time of that trade.

Landry was 100% a product of volume. His #s looked more like what would happen if you gave a passing game RB 150 targets than a legit downfield WR. I've appreciated his contributions so far, but it's clear that he really shouldn't be a #1 WR. I think Landry is good at what he does. But if I'm locking myself into a long term contract, give me Ogbah at 6-7M AAV over Landry at 15M AVV allllll day. I think it was also pretty clear what Jarvis was when he was traded, whereas we've all acknowledged that there is still a very real chance that Ogbah takes a step forward.

Admittedly, he needs to improve this season to be worth a 6M+ aav contract, but dumping him for the practically nothing that is a 4th round pick makes no sense to me.

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I actually get the comparison. I'm not so much knocking the asking price for Ogbah. I just don't think Landry is 1/4 as good as people thought he was at the time of that trade.

Landry was 100% a product of volume. His #s looked more like what would happen if you gave a passing game RB 150 targets than a legit downfield WR. I've appreciated his contributions so far, but it's clear that he really shouldn't be a #1 WR. I think Landry is good at what he does. But if I'm locking myself into a long term contract, give me Ogbah at 6-7M AAV over Landry at 15M AVV allllll day. I think it was also pretty clear what Jarvis was when he was traded, whereas we've all acknowledged that there is still a very real chance that Ogbah takes a step forward.

Admittedly, he needs to improve this season to be worth a 6M+ aav contract, but dumping him for the practically nothing that is a 4th round pick makes no sense to me.

That fourth could be a 2020 3rd as far as value.  At some point, it's all a risk.  The value of a high 4th rounder seems in line with a player who is a borderline starter who wants to get paid.  And I admit that the $7-8 mil/year is just an estimate.  Seeing how the market has been with EDGE guys--look at all the franchise tags on guys--I wouldn't be surprised if he got close to $10mil/year.  Yikes.  He's in a contract year and IMO has shown absolutely nothing that makes him an automatic starter at DE on any franchise (i.e., one that wasn't clearly a placeholder for  until the team drafts a better guy).

Emmanuel Ogbah is about to Tyrod Taylor.  This time I don't want to be the one losing draft capital (not trading him) and overpaying a player who seems like he is reaching his low ceiling.

My IMO when it comes to Sweat. If he was going to be Edge guy #1 for the Browns defense, I would be hesitant for him. But for him he would be #2 right behind Garrett. Taking a lot of pressure off of Him from blocking schemes and just from the media and expectations from fans. Hell Sweat wouldn’t even be the 2nd best Defensive lineman on the team. He would be 3rd behind Garrett and Ogun. 

Archived