Packfanfb's "Almost" Post-Combine Mock Off-season

packfanfb

Like it for the most part.

Perry and Williams are easy cuts for me given their pay and performance last year.  Also think that Breeland and Wilkerson are the only UFAs I'd like to bring back.

Love the UFA.  I actually prefer Barr over Smith but would be glad to have both.  He's younger and a better athlete.  Hard for me to ignore that Barr has played out of position since entering the NFL.  He was an elite edge rusher at UCLA despite only playing on defense for 2 years.  Minnesota playing him off the ball and dropping him back in coverage more should have been a crime against football.  He rushed the passer on just 20% of passing downs. 

I hate the pick at 12 but like the rest of the draft.  We're never going to run the majority of games with 2 ILBs on the field and Martinez is too good of a player to be put on the bench for 60%+ of the defensive snaps.  I'd much rather have either of the Iowa TEs, Gary or even a couple of the IDL. 

Love the Gardner-Johnson and Samuel selections.  I too am a Michigan fan and I thought CGJ was the best player on either side of the field in that Peach Bowl you refereed too. 

Hollins in the 3rd probably isn't terrible value but he's really, really raw.  Better athlete than football player at this point.  Don't love the Foster Moreau selection.  While he's a better athlete than most thought, he's not that great of a receiver IMO.  He'd be fine blocking but I'd prefer someone better as a receiver.  There are probably 4 or 5 TEs I'd prefer. 

I disagree that post-June 1 cuts don't hold some advantages. This is money they can factor into their rollover, making their budget a little more flexible when spending on Free Agents.

Anyways, not going to lie. I saw that @packfanfb made a mock and I said to myself prior to opening it and looking at it "Devin White is his 1st pick" xD

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I disagree that post-June 1 cuts don't hold some advantages. This is money they can factor into their rollover, making their budget a little more flexible when spending on Free Agents.

Anyways, not going to lie. I saw that @packfanfb made a mock and I said to myself prior to opening it and looking at it "Devin White is his 1st pick" xD

I like me some Devin White. That being said, I couldn't justify taking him unless it played out this way, i.e. we go big at EDGE in FA and Burns/Sweat not there. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I really love Devin White at ILB.  But....how do you play him and Martinez at the same time?  We are in sub packages just so often that I don't see the value/return there.  Not unless you plan on moving on from Martinez after this year, and I think that would be a mistake.  That and...there's little hope that White makes it to #12.  I can't see Cincy passing on him.  

You don't.  If White's the pick you can expect a 65%+ drop in Martinez's snaps IMO.  They might try if he was the pick but I don't see them coexisting on the same defense at the same time with a whole lot of success.  Don't think that Martinez would have a whole lot of success in the trenches, taking on lineman and doing the dirty work needed to keep White clean.  Even then, that's only a part time gig.

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

You don't.  If White's the pick you can expect a 65%+ drop in Martinez's snaps IMO.  They might try if he was the pick but I don't see them coexisting on the same defense at the same time with a whole lot of success.  Don't think that Martinez would have a whole lot of success in the trenches, taking on lineman and doing the dirty work needed to keep White clean.  Even then, that's only a part time gig.

Meh, I think Pettine would get creative. Specifically, I think you would see both those guys (White especially) blitzing a lot.

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's where I'm at.  And taking White means that GB is giving up on Burks (3rd round) from last year.  Unless they want to transition White to Martinez role and have Burks behind them.

While I love White as a prospect, I don't like him as much given what we have at LB already.  Not over an EDGE.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

Eh, i think Jaylon Smith and LVE by the second half of last year were both playing over 70% of the snaps for Dallas. They were both good enough to keep on the field. If Martinez's snaps suffer with the addition of an athlete like White, that just says something about some of Martinez's limitations, but overall, I don't think the dip would be as dramatic as you think because the only reason why there has been such a disparity lately in GB with ILB snaps is because our ILB crew has sucked pretty much other than Martinez from an athletic standpoint. When you have average athletes at ILB, you're going to use guys like Burnett and Jones in those roles versus a Jake Ryan. When you have Devin White, you don't have to do that. 

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That's where I'm at.  And taking White means that GB is giving up on Burks (3rd round) from last year.  Unless they want to transition White to Martinez role and have Burks behind them.

While I love White as a prospect, I don't like him as much given what we have at LB already.  Not over an EDGE.

I don't think this is true. Burks could still develop and become a player with a role. However, passing on a talent like White simply because you're waiting on Burks to show something doesn't make sense to me. If there are better options than White, fine, but Oren Burks shouldn't even factor into that decision one bit. 

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

Devin White at 12 is a travesty for me. Like CGJ and Deebo. Rest of the draft is meh. Love Barr.

We're getting right back in to the Roquon Smith at 14 talks everyone was having last year. I was very much against Roquon, but I think Devin is much better at taking on and getting off blocks. If we didn't have Martinez I think I would be full go on White, and at the same time Blake only has 1 year left before we start paying him market value...

Just now, JBURGE said:

We're getting right back in to the Roquon Smith at 14 talks everyone was having last year. I was very much against Roquon, but I think Devin is much better at taking on and getting off blocks. If we didn't have Martinez I think I would be full go on White, and at the same time Blake only has 1 year left before we start paying him market value...

Devin White isn't even the best ILB in this class and I wouldn't take Bush before 44.

Just now, rcon14 said:
1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

Devin White isn't even the best ILB in this class and I wouldn't take Bush before 44.

Due to positional value?

Just now, JBURGE said:

Due to positional value?

Yup. And also just because there are a lot of guys with higher positional value that are also very good in this class that are at positions that we need. It's not purely a positional value argument, but it certainly is a part of the equation.

Archived