Jump to content
RSkinGM

Zach Brown Released .

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d take any of those ILBs, but I sure hope we get one of the talented edge rushers more.

Dude we only get defenders from Alabama.   It’s either for one of 3 reasons

1)Snyder is making the dumbest attempt to lure a legendary coach to come to Washington that any of us have ever seen 

2)Saban in league circles made some remark about Snyder and Dans out to ruin the career of as many of Sabans guys as he can

3)Snyder has learned he can’t pick them or hire good people to coach them. So he grabs the picks (recruits) of the best in the business (Saban) knowing they are well coached coming in 

So yea maybe we get Wilson and Miller later on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Dude we only get defenders from Alabama.   It’s either for one of 3 reasons

1)Snyder is making the dumbest attempt to lure a legendary coach to come to Washington that any of us have ever seen 

2)Saban in league circles made some remark about Snyder and Dans out to ruin the career of as many of Sabans guys as he can

3)Snyder has learned he can’t pick them or hire good people to coach them. So he grabs the picks (recruits) of the best in the business (Saban) knowing they are well coached coming in 

So yea maybe we get Wilson and Miller later on

I think it’s a direct line to Jon Allen. Ever since we drafted Allen, we’ve been drafting  some Alabama defenders. That isn’t such as bad thing, outside of arguably Anderson, every time we’ve drafted one of the Alabama players they’ve been one of the best players on the board.

If Ruben Foster stays out of trouble, that pick up will be a steal too bc we didn’t give up anything to get him.

And yeah, I don’t see us reaching for Mack Wilson. If there’s better players available, we’ll take them.

Also, there’s a direct line from Kyle Smith to the Redskins beginning to draft more players who played at Alabama/the SEC:

https://www.redskins.com/team/front-office-roster/kyle-smith

Smith began his professional career as an intern with the Redskins in 2010. He joined the team on a full-time basis in 2011 and spent six seasons as an area scout for the organization. Prior to his promotion to Director of College Personnel, he most recently oversaw the team’s scouting efforts in the Southeast region, a region that produced the team's first- and second-round picks in both the 2017 and 2018 NFL Drafts.

In his first draft as Director of College Personnel, Smith collaborated with his staff and Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams in identifying and selecting the eight players that comprised the team’s 2018 draft class. Among the selections were first-round defensive lineman Da’Ron Payne, who joined the Redskins following his dominant showing for Alabama in the College Football Playoff, as well as second-round running back Derrius Guice, who exited his collegiate career at LSU ranked second only to Auburn legend Bo Jackson in yards per carry in SEC history.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Dude we only get defenders from Alabama.   It’s either for one of 3 reasons

1)Snyder is making the dumbest attempt to lure a legendary coach to come to Washington that any of us have ever seen 

2)Saban in league circles made some remark about Snyder and Dans out to ruin the career of as many of Sabans guys as he can

3)Snyder has learned he can’t pick them or hire good people to coach them. So he grabs the picks (recruits) of the best in the business (Saban) knowing they are well coached coming in 

So yea maybe we get Wilson and Miller later on

I put it back to GMSM in a sense on where he refocused our draft efforts.  In his drafts, you saw them finally go towards production instead of talent/combine warriors.  Brandon Scherff came out of Iowa, known as one of the best offensive line schools in the country.  Jamison Crowder led the ACC in receptions during his four year career.  Martrell Spaight led the SEC in tackles the year he was drafted.  Josh Doctson set TCU records for receiving, and then broke them the next year.  

You also see a heavy emphasis on picking from the SEC, ACC and Big 10, and from schools where there is an established talent pipeline- meaning successful programs who consistently recruit amongst the best, and develop the best players.  Also, there is a clear emphasis on BPA instead of drafting per need, which caused so many busts in the past. 

Can't forget some of Kyle Smith's influence either, which is specifically SEC-related.  But no one can deny these kids from Alabama are coached by one of the best coaching staffs in the league and they are coming in as prepared as anyone for an NFL career.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 1:58 PM, e16bball said:

You can’t play Zach Brown with Reuben Foster, which presumably is part of the reason he’s gone first. 

...the other part being the much larger cap hit, obviously. 

Mason should go too, but they haven’t done anything to replace him with a better option yet. Missing out on Mosley and Hicks hurt, just because there weren’t a ton of starting options out there in FA. I still like Denzel Perryman, but I have no illusions that he’s going to be a big upgrade on Mason Foster athletically (or in terms of durability). 

He did the same thing Swearinger did, and then added more by saying F the fans, and still has a roster spot.  Foster should've been out along with Swearinger if we want to keep things consistent.  I realize Swearinger has a history where Foster didn't, but you can't say F the fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 2:24 PM, Woz said:

That's what I thought.

That's a bit of a problem since R. Foster had that role taken away from him in San Fran because they felt they had to simplify the game for him.

So the dude has bad shoulders (at times you can see him playing with one arm), and they had to simplify the game for him, meaning he can't process the NFL game at a high level.........on top of his already well -known off-field issues.   This stuff keeps writing itself.  

#FireBruceAllen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, Woz said:

I'm wondering if it would just be easier to hire Nick Saban at this point ... or at least his DC.

Kirby Smart has his dream job at UGA, he's not going anywhere.  Jeremy Pruitt took over for Smart for two seasons, then ended up as the Vols HC.  Pete Golding held the spot last year and moving forward.  

Some college jobs are better than the NFL.  Assistant coaching jobs at Alabama are certainly better than coming to this organization.  The head coaching gig at UGA is definitely much better than the DC spot for the Redskins- and Smart and Saban would do well to stay as far away from Snyder as possible.  UT is pushing it, but Pruitt has them trending in the right direction.  He stole a 5* from WVU that was an in-state player this year after adding Chaney to his staff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, taylor made said:

I'm not sure I've seen a player have such a great season followed by such a mediocre one.  He had one sweet goal line play that I'll remember from this past year.  I don't think he was a good leader which you need to be for the MLB position. But its not like our MLB position got any better by releasing him. Who knows what Reuben Foster will be - apparently 49er fans says he missed a lot of tackles. And penciling Dion-Hamilton, who I didn't see do much of anything last year, might be a little premature in my opinion.

Everyone is talking about Devin White at #15 and for good reason but it is unlikely he'll be there. I know he plays for University of Michigan and not Alabama but I wouldn't mind Devin Bush at #15. He plays with a mean streak and could bring some leadership to the team.

For Zach Brown, it says something when he had arguably his best season under Rob Ryan, and Ryan didn't get up on a pedestal and fight to keep him as our new ILB coach.  

As for Foster, I said this in a previous post, but if you watch the film, he is sometimes playing with one arm because he has a hurt shoulder.  The shoulder injury was widely known heading into the draft however, as he had surgery for both his labrum and rotator cuff  It's believed the shoulder issues come from poor tackling form.  During Foster's rookie season, Schefter reported that a wrong hit or roll could result in a blowout once again on his shoulder.  

Heres the 49ers blog to support some of that- https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/10/26/18023628/reuben-foster-shoulder-injury-sophomore-slump-49ers-john-lynch-kyle-shanahan

When that article was written, he had the second most missed tackles despite missing the first two games of the year, and 20 of 27 passes completed on him.  

No one should be expecting anything out of Reuben Foster next season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I put it back to GMSM in a sense on where he refocused our draft efforts.  In his drafts, you saw them finally go towards production instead of talent/combine warriors.  Brandon Scherff came out of Iowa, known as one of the best offensive line schools in the country.  Jamison Crowder led the ACC in receptions during his four year career.  Martrell Spaight led the SEC in tackles the year he was drafted.  Josh Doctson set TCU records for receiving, and then broke them the next year.  

You also see a heavy emphasis on picking from the SEC, ACC and Big 10, and from schools where there is an established talent pipeline- meaning successful programs who consistently recruit amongst the best, and develop the best players.  Also, there is a clear emphasis on BPA instead of drafting per need, which caused so many busts in the past. 

Can't forget some of Kyle Smith's influence either, which is specifically SEC-related.  But no one can deny these kids from Alabama are coached by one of the best coaching staffs in the league and they are coming in as prepared as anyone for an NFL career.  

We were just talking about Alabama. McCloughan didn’t take any players from Alabama in 2015 or 16 but it’s true he did draft some from the SEC like:

Preston Smith

Matt Jones

Arie Kouandjio

Martrell Spaight

Tevin Mitchell 

Keith Marshall

(great selections by the way... 😂)

 

So yeah, I’m not seeing the link between McCloughan and Alabama here except for Kouandjio.

Again, it’s Kyle Smith! Under McCloughan Kyle was the scout in the south east. Then, Kyle becomes Director of College Personnel and they drafted:

Jon Allen

Ryan Anderson

Da’Ron Payne

Shaun Dion Hamilton 

And the previous two drafts they drafted other SEC players as well:

Derrius Guice

Jeremy Sprinkle 

Joshua Holsey 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He did the same thing Swearinger did, and then added more by saying F the fans, and still has a roster spot.  Foster should've been out along with Swearinger if we want to keep things consistent.  I realize Swearinger has a history where Foster didn't, but you can't say F the fans.  

There was a difference between the two. Neither should be condoned and Foster should be gone too.

But, the obvious difference is that Foster said things in a direct message that he naively thought an idiot fan wouldn’t copy and repost. That was really dumb on Foster’s fault, also Foster was defending the players and the team while that fan he was DMing was ripping Foster, the team and his teammates. 

So, in his case, Foster was defending himself and everyone against an idiot fan who thinks he’s knows more than the Redskins starting Mike LB of the last 4 seasons.

Again, he was defending everyone.

Swearinger publicly and straight to the media - not behind close doors, in the lockeroom or to his teammates/coaches in their offices - ripped everyone multiple times the last two years. He’s ripped the coaching staff, his teammates, eveyone.

So, you have one guy defending his teammates and eveyone in what was supposed to be a private direct message exchange and the guy who was cut ripping eveyone publicly to the media and it was one guys first time doing it and the guy who was cut’s 3rd or 4th time of doing what he did.

Whether you like it or not, there are clear differences between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So the dude has bad shoulders (at times you can see him playing with one arm), and they had to simplify the game for him, meaning he can't process the NFL game at a high level.........on top of his already well -known off-field issues.   This stuff keeps writing itself.  

#FireBruceAllen

We gave up nothing to get Ruben Foster. If it doesn’t work out, big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We gave up nothing to get Ruben Foster. If it doesn’t work out, big deal. 

Unlike that 4 th for Ha-Ha . Joke is on us ! If you like a guy enough to give away a 4th-- don't you rework his contract and keep him? OR,,, are we lucky we didn't do that and found he he's not worth much at all apparently. This still has be flummoxed and angry .!

AND Brice will try to save face by some stupid trade down and recovering the 4th -- >:(

Edited by RSkinGM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We gave up nothing to get Ruben Foster. If it doesn’t work out, big deal. 

Just another shred of dignity and goodwill ... what's that worth? Obviously little to nothing to Snyder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Unlike that 4 th for Ha-Ha . Joke is on us ! If you like a guy enough to give away a 4th-- don't you rework his contract and keep him? OR,,, are we lucky we didn't do that and found he he's not worth much at all apparently. This still has be flummoxed and angry .!

AND Brice will try to save face by some stupid trade down and recovering the 4th -- >:(

Can probably guarantee that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Just another shred of dignity and goodwill ... what's that worth? Obviously little to nothing to Snyder.

That's on Snyder & Allen, not me. I just hope the guy gets healthy, stays out of trouble thanks to being back w/ his Bama support group and plays good football for us.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Unlike that 4 th for Ha-Ha . Joke is on us ! If you like a guy enough to give away a 4th-- don't you rework his contract and keep him? OR,,, are we lucky we didn't do that and found he he's not worth much at all apparently. This still has be flummoxed and angry .!

AND Brice will try to save face by some stupid trade down and recovering the 4th -- >:(

Well there's several things here:

1. Haha has to be willing to sign an extension and miss on what he and his agent thought could've been a big payday instead of a one year deal this march.

2. The Redskins may have had to overpay to keep him because Haha wanted to hit free agency.

3. The Redskins wanted to see Haha earn his new contract which, the obvious thought he hadn't.

They took a gamble that getting Haha and teaming him up with Swearinger would be awesome for the defensive secondary. It didn't work out, nothing is going to bring the 4th round pick back. I don't know any you’d be that hung up about it.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×