Help me rank TE T.J. Hockenson compared to others

James Lofton

Hi yuh -- I see a lot of Mocks guess we may take TE T.J. Hockenson. I don't know a ton about him. Sure seems early to take a TE in my opinion. But if he could be like Gronk (who was picked in the 2nd round #42) then I'm on board, but if he has a very good career like Mercedes Lewis (who was picked in the 1st round of 2006 #28) then I'll pass. Can you help me rank him compared to other TE's that got drafted in the first round?

2018 Hayden Hurst pick 25

2017 O.J. Howard pick 19

2017 Evan Engram pick 23

2010 Jermaine Gresham pick 21

2009 Brandon Pettigrew pick 20

Obviously, none of these guys got picked as early as 12. How does he compare?

12 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

Hi yuh -- I see a lot of Mocks guess we may take TE T.J. Hockenson. I don't know a ton about him. Sure seems early to take a TE in my opinion. But if he could be like Gronk (who was picked in the 2nd round #42) then I'm on board, but if he has a very good career like Mercedes Lewis (who was picked in the 1st round of 2006 #28) then I'll pass. Can you help me rank him compared to other TE's that got drafted in the first round?

2017 O.J. Howard pick 19

2017 Evan Engram pick 23

Gronk was injured and fell

I'd be good with Hock at 30.....probably not earlier because there are cheaper alternatives later.

But Lewis is the kind of TE LaFleur wants. He would be the top of your list (though I haven't watched Hurst at all really and don't know how well Howard blocks). Our DC worked with Lewis. We resigned him. Hock has much more value (and way less risk) than a Fant or Graham type. A lot depends on what the FO thinks of Sternberger, Warring, and Moreau and others that might fit in that mold. More risk with those guys than with Hock.

Hock has a very high floor (and ceiling is actually unknown). He is a very safe prospect and a ten year starter. I only have five picks in the whole draft as  safe as Hock. That safety has huge value.

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I wasn't big into the draft until after Gresham, but he's the 2nd best behind OJ Howard to me, Jurst doesn't belong on this list, should have Ebron instead

Hurst as a prospect really isnt that different from Gresham. Wide catch radius, athletic enough, try hard blocker-get some movement on the little fellas. He's an all around TE. His only downside was his age. If you're looking for a big slot he's probably not your favorite, why they followed it up with the Andrew's pick. 

1 hour ago, James Lofton said:

2017 O.J. Howard pick 19

2017 Evan Engram pick 23

Similar to Hurst coming out but you have to remember Hurst turns 39 this year.

Not as good of a prospect as Howard. Better blocker, a little sharper at just about everything but not in the same class of athlete.

Engram is basically a receiver. And they have entirely different builds. Hard to even compare. 

The other guys were prospects a billion years ago and I'd be shocked if anybody really remembers those reports.

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Gronk was injured and fell

I'd be good with Hock at 30.....probably not earlier because there are cheaper alternatives later.

But Lewis is the kind of TE LaFleur wants. He would be the top of your list (though I haven't watched Hurst at all really and don't know how well Howard blocks). Our DC worked with Lewis. We resigned him. Hock has much more value (and way less risk) than a Fant or Graham type. A lot depends on what the FO thinks of Sternberger, Warring, and Moreau and others that might fit in that mold. More risk with those guys than with Hock.

Hock has a very high floor (and ceiling is actually unknown). He is a very safe prospect and a ten year starter. I only have five picks in the whole draft as  safe as Hock. That safety has huge value.

If we're running a scheme that a good blocker (and let's be real, good not great. Fiedorowicz was a noticeably better drive guy) and average seam guy is more valuable than a good seam guy and average blocker, we're playing the wrong scheme. 

You seem to think we're going to be running a ton and while we will likely be running more, it's still 2019 and Aaron Rodgers is still the QB. We're going to be throwing the ball at least at league average marks. 

Even McVay and Shannahan are playing their TEs as targets first and blockers second. 

There's probably a good argument to be made that deep speed is even more valuable in heavy PA offenses because it widens the windows you make when LBs take their false steps.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we're running a scheme that a good blocker (and let's be real, good not great. Fiedorowicz was a noticeably better drive guy) and average seam guy is more valuable than a good seam guy and average blocker, we're playing the wrong scheme. You seem to think we're going to be running a ton and while we will likely be running more, it's still 2019 and Aaron Rodgers is still the QB. We're going to be throwing the ball at least at league average marks. Even McVay and Shannahan are playing their TEs as targets first and blockers second. There's probably a good argument to be made that deep speed is even more valuable in heavy PA offenses because it widens the windows you make when LBs take their false steps.

Our resident expert @Packerraymond has designated Fants as a better TE for AR.

Well sounds like Sternberger is what we are looking for in pass first, good enough blocking. I would put Warring in that category -- smooth athletes, good hands, can block enough with more bulk (in Sternberger's case). Round three prospects in my book at least or late two.

Fant will go too high and has some questions on his game. I like the two I named better. Also Irv and Oliver are just off my board for GB. Moreau just depends on what you can develop in his passing game: he has some tools, just needs work imo.

I just don't see anything elite about Hockenson except for his blocking, and if you want an extra blocker out there, you can just use an extra tackle.  He runs good routes and catches the ball well, but it's not like he's so huge and physical that you can't cover him.  Fant has a little Jared Cook in him in that he's a bit mercurial and not the easiest guy to work with (and he sort of coasted all of 2018 after being annointed as the guy at tight end after 2017.)  But IMO:

Engram>Fant>Howard>Njoku>Hockenson>Gresham>Pettigrew.

I feel like Hockenson is the beneficiary of the phenomenon that the draft media loves guys who are easy evaluations, since he's about the easiest one in the whole draft.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just don't see anything elite about Hockenson except for his blocking, and if you want an extra blocker out there, you can just use an extra tackle.  He runs good routes and catches the ball well, but it's not like he's so huge and physical that you can't cover him.  Fant has a little Jared Cook in him in that he's a bit mercurial and not the easiest guy to work with (and he sort of coasted all of 2018 after being annointed as the guy at tight end after 2017.)  But IMO:

Engram>Fant>Howard>Njoku>Hockenson>Gresham>Pettigrew.

Hock allows you to run/pass. It makes a mismatch that a tackle does not. You can run against nickel and pass against base. That's Hock's higher value as blocker. But what is that worth? For some teams a one, probably not GB if what is said here is true.

I'll take Harry or A.J Brown (round 2) instead of Graham, and Harry already can block better than Graham.

Third round is a good spot for wide receiver TEs not 1 imo.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

You think Fant would hang around till 30 (?) or if we really targeted him we'd have to move up some?

Haven't really looked at it. I just started and the fatties get the first look. 

Ask yourself the question, who needs weapons? Who liked OJ Howard? Who has nothing at TE? Those will answer your question.

Archived