Amazon and Disney vying for rights to NFL Sunday Ticket

vike daddy

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm sure it would be. But one less main sub to buy. If Amazon gets it, I'd consider buying it depending on the price.

Honestly whoever gets the rights to it really should offer single-team Game passes. Most fans don't care about watching every single game and I feel there's a large market for people wanting to watch their team despite them not living in the area. If there was an affordable streaming service that simply allowed me to watch all 16 Dolphins games each season I'd jump all over it. Really don't want to pay the extra cost to get access to the large bulk of games that I have no interest in actually watching (live, anyway).

I imagine if this ends up with a few different services or with one main streaming service like Amazon, we'll see the pricing look something like this:

Redzone - $150/yr
Team (Single) Package - $200/yr
All Games - $225/yr

Something to make people think, "oh, just a little bit to get all the games? what a deal!".  Always up-sell lol.

1 hour ago, paraven said:

whatever they do, they better drop the price down... $300 -$400 (depending on package) for the service is ridiculous.. MLB.TV is $119 for way more games.... 

I imagine they will, but it probably won't be to a point everyone likes.  I don't think we'll see the MLB.TV price, but it will go down.  DTV gives it away for free to a ton of people with their promotions.  If this goes to another service, those promotions go away.  So they can afford to cut the price and keep the same bottom line.

I'm thinking the max package might be $250-300/yr (all games), with a slight reduction in price to just watch your teams games.

JMO

20 minutes ago, theJ said:

I imagine if this ends up with a few different services or with one main streaming service like Amazon, we'll see the pricing look something like this:

Redzone - $150/yr
Team (Single) Package - $200/yr
All Games - $225/yr

Something to make people think, "oh, just a little bit to get all the games? what a deal!".  Always up-sell lol.

Yeah if that's the price I'm just not gonna be a customer at all lol

15 hours ago, Tugboat said:

All these streaming services are starting to feel a bit like Ponzi schemes lately.  The massive financial outlays and commitments they're making upfront to buy their way into securing "exclusive content" rights.  If the new subscribers stop trickling in or people start getting fed up with having to buy half a dozen different subscriptions and cancel in numbers...i honestly don't know how they're going to remain viable.

That's a good point. Disney+ may serve to really shake up the streaming ecosystem, too. Netflix may start having problems without Marvel, Disney, Fox. I was also under the impression that Disney basically owns Hulu now too, so who knows what the hell happens to it. 

10 hours ago, theJ said:

A lot of people have complained about their streaming service.  It was unreliable, and obviously couldn't support the demand people put on it.

Now, that as of a few years when i tried it last and really paid attention to it.  Maybe it's gotten better, but i seem to remember people complaining about it even last year.

Oh, their streaming service was the issue. I hadn't heard about that. That would represent a bunch of live content to be pushed through by a single service--I can easily see that being an issue. Satellite would still be fine, provided the weather cooperates. I still think the best answer for the NFL is to forget about the massive upfront fee and just put Sunday Ticket--in a modified form--on practically ever reliable service in existence. 

17 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

The alternatives are piracy and cable.

Piracy will always exist, cable is dying and will likely be around for years to come but is still dying. 

That's kind of a false dichotomy.  The other alternative, for certain content especially...is for people to just take their dollars, tell everyone to pound sand, and not consume that particular content at all.

But i think that's still kinda missing the point anyway.  You can absolutely have a business become nonviable by overextending expenditures and commitments up front, if the consumer base and revenue don't keep expanding like they've projected to match.  Which seems like a distinct possibility as the end of this crazy "exclusive rights" arms race they're in.  For some of the services at least.

They don't have the same base level safety net of revenue stream through ad sales driven by cable packaging deals inclusion, etc.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That's kind of a false dichotomy.  The other alternative, for certain content especially...is for people to just take their dollars, tell everyone to pound sand, and not consume that particular content at all.

But i think that's still kinda missing the point anyway.  You can absolutely have a business become nonviable by overextending expenditures and commitments up front, if the consumer base and revenue don't keep expanding like they've projected to match.  Which seems like a distinct possibility as the end of this crazy "exclusive rights" arms race they're in.  For some of the services at least.

They don't have the same base level safety net of revenue stream through ad sales driven by cable packaging deals inclusion, etc.

I mean you're not wrong, but there's a reason streaming services are the biggest expanding media industry and have been for a decade.