Amazon and Disney vying for rights to NFL Sunday Ticket

vike daddy

As America's tech, media and telecom giants launch new streaming services, the rights for one of the National Football League's most coveted packages may soon be on the auction block.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is courting partners including Amazon and Disney for streaming rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, which gives viewers access to the full slate of NFL games not already being broadcast in their market, according to sources familiar with the league’s discussions. In a contentious war for subscribers, the Ticket could be the X-factor for any one of the major media companies vying for pre-eminence.

No one is more keenly aware of the Ticket's power than AT&T, which has had exclusive rights to the service for 25 years. AT&T sells the package through its DirecTV service, and the fact that Goodell may break that exclusive partnership is straining their long-standing relationship, the sources said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/are-you-ready-some-football-disney-amazon-might-be-n996381

Another reason to get Disney+. As if the MCU, Star Wars and Pixar weren't good enough reasons.

AT&T looks like they're still in the running, so the league will have to figure in costs to change and such - but an Amazon or Disney+ ran Sunday Ticket would be cool, IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

don't you think it would be a separate fee from Prime though?

anyone think Goodell is just playing with AT&T to get their fees up?

I expect that it will be less expensive to obtain if you already have prime, by a notable amount.

That's entirely possible, basically I think he's testing the waters of FA so to speak.

• Like 2

No!!!!! I've had Sunday Ticket for free for years. It will be terrible if DirecTV/AT&T lose it. But I think they will sell a streaming package and a linear package so DirecTV may still have some rights to it. 

DAZN is another streaming service that will go after it heavy. Interested in seeing how this all plays out. 

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thoughts and prayers.

Yeah I let out a huge 'WTF!" when I flipped to NFL Network and the screen read something like 'This channel is no longer available we are sorry for the inconvenience' 

I had to get a upgraded package with AT&T to one that included NFLN and in the middle of the night they just yank the channel from programming.

Time to switch back to Time Warner/Spectrum. AT&T has been a nightmare