With the 239th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Dillon Mitchell, WR - Oregon

RpMc

Nice breakaway speed, soft hands, moves in the open field.  Looks like he can run routes.  Looks like he has the stuff to be the #3 receiver,  maybe near the end of next season, or, at least in his 2nd year.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 3

i haven't seen much of mitchell or his technique but he is a little similar to stefon diggs as a prospect. both aren't outstanding athletes from an explosion standpoint (though mitchell's jump scores are a little above average), they have almost identical speed times (diggs 4.46 40, 1.54 10-yard split, mitchell 4.46 40, 1.55 10-yard split) and are on the skinnier side for a receiver. 

they were also productive for smaller schools and like Krauser mentioned in the vikings draft class thread, mitchell scored well in football outsiders' playmaker score, which is actually pretty good for an "all-encompassing" score. he had the 7th highest score with 85.3%. the six players with better scores went in the top 2 rounds besides dionte johnson and hakeem butler, who went at the top of the 3rd and 4th rounds, respectively. for reference, diggs had the third highest score in his draft class with 89.5%.

obviously diggs has great intangibles in terms of work ethic and has huge hands which helps him catch while mitchell doesn't have either but there are some similarities there. hopefully he can step up this season and fill in that WR3 role.

• Like 2

Mitchell exited the Ducks' program after a second-team All-Pac-12 junior campaign, topping the conference and setting a school record with 1,184 yards while scoring 10 touchdowns on 75 receptions (15.8 average). He led Oregon in receiving as a sophomore, as well, though an injury to quarterback Justin Herbert limited his production (42-517-12.3, four TDs in 12 starts). Mitchell took his redshirt off in 2016 to play in six contests as a reserve receiver (2-9-4.5) and returner (7-26-3.7 punt returns, 3-49-16.3 kickoffs). He was a top-100 prospect nationally after winning Tennessee's Gatorade Player of the Year award as a senior (62-1,143 receiving, 31 total TDs) at White Station High School in Memphis. Mitchell was also an excellent guard in high school basketball (mentored by former Memphis and NBA star Penny Hardaway) but chose the gridiron over the hardwood.

https://www.vikings.com/news/draft/

Not gonna lie, i dont know alot about this guy. But from watching some of him, looks like he has some potential. I still wanted Hall, but clearly there was something up with him. 

Id love to see Mitchell compete and fill in at that #3WR spot, although probably an unrealistic expectation at this point.

Mitchell: “I feel like I have a great shot at being the third wide receiver for the team and help out as much as possible. I know they have great guys, and I think the best duo in the league is Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, and even past guys with hall of famers Randy Moss and Cris Carter. I definitely know the history, and I want to continue that.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/27/vikings-draftees-dillon-mitchell-olabisi-johnson-both-seek-no-3-receiver-spot/

On a few of those contested end zone shots in the highlight tape, he committed offensive pass interference that will be called more often in the NFL.  If he can clean that up, he has a shot.

Does anyone think he can have a day 1 impact at WR for this team? Or Olabisi for that matter? 

Otherwise we’re counting on guys like Treadwell, Beebe, Taylor, & Zylstra in 3 WR sets. Which is bleak imo. Last year Aldrick was nice, but there was just something missing outside of 19-14. I know Irv should help out. But at a certain point in games we’re gonna go 3 and 4 wide, and at this point the WR depth is not great. Plus we all know Diggs tends to get dinged up. I was really hoping they addressed WR earlier, like the 3rd. But at least they addressed it at some point. But the question is, can either one of these guys make a difference? Or are they Stephen Burton, Stacy Coley, Jamar Johnson, MoBo, Rodney Adams?