Tennessee Titans Free Talk Venting Thread

Titans fan 617

8 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

I was actually thinking about a lot of the points you brought up today, and they're all good ones.  I'll cut to the chase though... What are the leashes on Mularkey and staff? I think with the expectations and talent that the team has this year if we start the season 0-3 I think the wolves will start sniffing at the door.  I'll be the first to say that I don't want this to happen at all. I want desperately for Mularkey to be our long term coach, because you build championships in this league with continuity and not constant rebuild and staff turnovers, but if we lose to Jacksonville and then lose another at home against Seattle people will be calling for his job. That's just the nature of the league and the job.  I agree that Mularkey/Robiskie make some frustrating calls. Robiskie is actually my favorite OC that we've had in years (not saying much) but he does have a tendency of getting too cute with his playcalling at times. It also feels like there is still a bit of a leash on Mariota, and I can't help but wonder how he'd do with a coach that was willing to run more hurry up and air it out more.  I've been clamoring for us to run more hurry up sporadically since Mariota was drafted, because he really thrives in it and our staff still seems really gun shy to run it for whatever reason.  I can't help but feel like we have a ferrari (Marcus) and we're always keeping him in neutral. Robinson is starting to put the pieces around him to turn this offense into something really special. We're right on the cusp of something great, but I fear that Mularkey's philosophy could ultimately hold us back from reaching our full potential.

This is my biggest fear. Robinson has done a great job adding pieces around Marcus that should allow this offense to be one of the best in the NFL given Marcus' skill set, yet we don't see any sign that a lethal offense is coming. Marcus should have free reign at this point but it doesn't appear to be the case. It's very disappointing when we sign a guy like Decker, draft Davis, etc. and come out in the first game and the offense was average at best.

15 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Ok I teased this thought earlier in another thread and understand it's not an overreaction to yesterday but it's a true thought and fear and something that has been on my mind.

Im going to start by saying I like Mularkey I think he's a great guy a great coach for the team and even great to the community to the players and little things like the surprise Bday for Lebeau and having Tim Shaw as a captain I think all that was class act. My question is what is the leash on him?

My true feeling is no matter how this season plays out even if it's a loss in the SB I will always feel Mularkey and his staff will cost us the game. I know our players are dumb too for the dumb penalties they take but I just feel like the way he and his staff coaches and game plan is as bad.

I said earlier up here in NE they just laugh at the AFC on the radio. They want to believe the Raiders are a challenge but believe Del Rio will cost them. They want to believe in the Chiefs in a big game but know Andy Reid will mismanage the clock or just do something stupid. They want to believe the Titans will take that next step but laugh that Mularkey is the coach. Granted the Pats have their own flaws right now but they laugh because they say the Pats are going to dip this year and go from 14-2 and winning to the SB to 12-4 and maybe playing the AFC Championship game on the road instead of home. 

So is Mularkey going to make this all work? I know a lot of it is on players but when I see this offense go to work something's missing and I don't know how to put my finger on it or the best words to describe it but I just feel like either Mariota hasn't fully grasped this offense or they are handcuffing Mariota from calling this offense. The only time Mariota really has the ability to take over this offense is in the 2 min drill in hurry up situations but I just feel something's missing. 

I'm not a fan of the way he handles substitutions. It feels like he only plays Henry for instance on set drives. Romo pointed out yesterday that no matter what was going on in the game Henry had the 3rd drive. My issue is why only set drives and why wasn't Henry used a little more in situations that best suited his him for instance like I don't know a 3rd and 2 or any short yardage situation? Why didn't we see Henry anytime we got near the end zone yesterday? It goes beyond Henry Decker who missed 3 Preseason games and is coming of an injury played the most WR snaps yesterday but yet Taywon Taylor who played all preseason long made plays with Mariota so had some chemistry with Mariota played 2 snaps I believe or played 3 snaps and 2 were to him. Why does Mularkey fall in love with certain players and he has trouble sitting them down for players that are playing better? Sly Williams was signed for a decent amount of money and didn't play much yesterday also last year Matthews signed for a decent amount of money and he said on 3HL weeks ago that he was benched to start the season pretty much and had to fight his way on the field to play and he signed here thinking he was coming into start instead of fighting to start because he could of signed else where and started. So what is it with Mularkey and certain FAs that come in he favors some and not others? I'm all for making guys work but doesn't it piss you off knowing how good Matthews was last year and how little points we scored in the first 4 games and Mularkey stuck with Tajae Sharpe over Matthews a guy who could of probably helped out and maybe beat Minn when it was close before Mariota imploded of maybe had a chance to beat Oak or Hou?

Mularkeys staff is my next issue. Robiskie and Mularkey are going to blow games with the trickery stuff. They just do it at the worst times and they arnt always the best designed looking plays. I'm not even talking about the onside kick yesterday which I think was dumb and just fueled the Raiders even more and said thanks for the great field position. Granted they do hit on some of the trick stuff like the Lewan play but more times than not they blow the play. Last year vs GB he tried the onside kick and got bailed out because Cobb dropped the 3rd down pass which forced the punt. I hate the plays they call on the 2PT conversations too not once have we hit on one last year. I feel like those plays are suppose to be the bread and butter plays and with Robiskies play calling I don't feel like Mariota has many bread and butter plays.

My last worry is not Lebeau himself because I don't blame him but my question is are we really a 3-4 team? Do we have the right players for it? I feel like we have more of a 4-3 team. Not that I'm stomping my feet to say let Lebeau go and switch to a 4-3 but the mans 80 years old he is going to be gone at some point so what's the plan from there? Not that Dodd is a guy we are building a defense around but wouldn't he be better suited with his hand in the ground at like an DE DT position? The Titans have a lot of D-Linemen who would probably benefit from a 4-3 scheme IMO and you would have Morgan back at DE since he doesn't make plays on the ball anyway in a 3-4. I could be wrong but I just feel like a 3-4 isn't working for this team i feel like they are still struggling to fully grasp a 3-4 system so I'm curious to your thoughts.

sorry for writing so much but curious to your long term thoughts on Mularkey and his staff and what are the leashes and what needs to change and are these the right group of coaches to help elevate this team over the hump

The titans don't run a traditional 3-4 we run a hybrid 3-4 or a 4-3 under. A normal 3-4 you have a NT & 2 5 tech defensive ends.

if you go on the titans website depth chart it has Casey listed at his position he plays DT. & it'll have Daquan jones as a DE.

cassey is used as a gap penetrating DT.

morgan is a LB but he plays the elephant role. Which is play the run 1st & set the edge then rush. 

On 9/12/2017 at 5:15 AM, Justin615$ said:

I think Derrick Henry is better than Demarco Murray. Murray looked so slow. I think its time for Henry and i am not one of those people who have been saying that since he was drafted.

Henry hasn't been lighting things up yet this season. 

I think that points to a bigger issue though, the o-line. Those guys are hopefully getting a reality check that just because they've picked up a bit of street cred doesn't mean you just have to show up on Sundays. A few more performances like week 1 and I think we'll be able to tell that Fasano (or any other 6th-lineman type TE) was more of an impact than the overall skill of the unit.

40 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Still want his *** gone.

Another thing -- several times yesterday DeMarco went out wide and then, once the ball is snapped, he just stood there completely out of the play and not involved. It wasn't him being lazy -- it was what the play called for him to do. What the heck is that?

And sooner than later, Taywan is going to drop one of these weird shuffle pass/laterals we make him try to catch.

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Another thing -- several times yesterday DeMarco went out wide and then, once the ball is snapped, he just stood there completely out of the play and not involved. It wasn't him being lazy -- it was what the play called for him to do. What the heck is that?

And sooner than later, Taywan is going to drop one of these weird shuffle pass/laterals we make him try to catch.

1. likely the last read/dumpoff option

2. "the player might screw up eventually" is a pretty poor argument against doing something, especially something we've had relative success with

54 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

1. likely the last read/dumpoff option

2. "the player might screw up eventually" is a pretty poor argument against doing something, especially something we've had relative success with

didn't say that Taywan might screw it up. It wouldn't be on Taylor even if he did drop the ball. The exchanges between Marcus and Taywan looked awkward at times because the play-calls were awkward. Almost like options that took too long to develop and put the players in tough positions.

also hesitant to say we've had even relative success with it, either, given we've ran it twice and it got completely bottled up once.

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

didn't say that Taywan might screw it up. It wouldn't be on Taylor even if he did drop the ball. The exchanges between Marcus and Taywan looked awkward at times because the play-calls were awkward. Almost like options that took too long to develop and put the players in tough positions.

are you talking about the read option plays with taywan in the backfield? that's just....how that works. ball's held at the mesh point as long as humanly possible.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

are you talking about the read option plays with taywan in the backfield? that's just....how that works. ball's held at the mesh point as long as humanly possible.

thank you for the lesson in how to run an option. when you get the chance, go see how Taywan had to bobble and catch an awkward shovel pass in traffic near the LOS against Oakland due to the play design putting him in a weird position.

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

thank you for the lesson in how to run an option. when you get the chance, go see how Taywan had to bobble and catch an awkward shovel pass in traffic near the LOS against Oakland due to the play design putting him in a weird position.

...you mean the one where he converted a third down with yardage to spare?

if you're worried about issues with play design, i don't understand why you're lumping in the shovel pass with the read option. as has been mentioned before, if he drops the shovel pass it's incomplete. potential for disaster is ridiculously low. and it's not an uncommon or unconventional play design at all.

as i recall, we've run three designed plays for taywan this year- two read options, one shovel pass. it worked really well twice. i just don't see the problem at all.

Archived