Two Wild Cards

sonny44

Corbett and Avery.

Both have shown good potential  And each one is in a position of opportunity and possible weakness if others go down.

I'm thinking that team success this year probably will be impacted significantly by their growth and their continued development.

Thoughts?

I’m assuming Corbett will be fine.  He plays a position that seemingly has a low bust rate amongst high picks and they’ve seen him play in practice all last season.  I can’t imagine they’d pen him in as a starter if there were huge question marks there. 

Avery we saw plenty of last year imo.  He can play.  He’s fast, physical and a good tackler.  I think he’ll be fine as well.

• Like 2

I have been a huge proponent of Corbett through all of the trash talk. Dorsey (who is obviously biased) and the rest of the staff sees hums as plug and play at G. If that’s the case, the OBJ trade will be that much sweeter.

17 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I have been a huge proponent of Corbett through all of the trash talk.

What trash talk? I mean, he hasn’t even played yet?

Dorsey (who is obviously biased) and the rest of the staff sees hums as plug and play at G.

Seeing as he was essentially redshirted his whole rookie year, he is by definition NOT plug and play...

If that’s the case, the OBJ trade will be that much sweeter.

I’m assuming you mean the Zeitler/Vernon deal, but year.  If we don’t skip a beat and have a very good DE to boot, that’d be awesome.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A lot of people crapped all over him in the preseason and training camp when he struggled. The pick was universally disliked because he was an unknown name and had very little buzz. Combo that with poor pre-season play and people started to trash the selection.

I didn't like the pick and I'm not confident that he'll be great for us, but we'll have to let it play out first.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

A lot of people crapped all over him in the preseason and training camp when he struggled. The pick was universally disliked because he was an unknown name and had very little buzz. Combo that with poor pre-season play and people started to trash the selection.

I didn't like the pick and I'm not confident that he'll be great for us, but we'll have to let it play out first.

I think there’s a difference between trashing the pick/player and questioning/discussing it.

I didn’t love it at the time, I wanted Sutton iirc, but anyone taking a hard stance against it was being absurd tbh. I also thought it was questionable to not only take a guard that high as we already had 2 studs, but that guard specifically as Will Hernandez was on the board and generally a higher rated player.  I thought drafting a developmental guard at 33 was a less than ideal use of a prime asset.

All that said, if the kid can play it was a good pick.  That’s really all that mattered then or matters now.  Until he shows he’s a turd or a stud, any strong opinion either way is pretty baseless.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Seeing as he was essentially redshirted his whole rookie year, he is by definition NOT plug and play...

I’m assuming you mean the Zeitler/Vernon deal, but year.  If we don’t skip a beat and have a very good DE to boot, that’d be awesome.

What BTC said

Since the beginning I said he was signed to replace Zeitler. I was laughed at. Zeitler was traded. Zeitler was a pro bowl level guard. Even a plug and play G isn’t going to take over for a pro bowler. If he can move right in and start at RG that satisfies plug and play, IMO.