2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

He looks like a Raven. Great run stuffing ability. Very good agility and fluidity as a pass rusher. Strong bull rush to get into the frame of his opponent. Initially reminded me of a better Chase Winovich, but then realized that would be an insult to Willekes as they’re not even in the same category of ability. Had he not broken his leg, I think KW would’ve been a fringe 1st/2nd round option based off ability.

Kind of reminds me of Terrell Suggs with his combination of run stuffing, hand usage, and initial quickness. Also because neither possesses elite speed and burst.

As he will be more aged and maybe not at the same level as his 2018 form, I’m thinking we might be able to grab KW in the late 2nd.

Edited by diamondbull424

Really like what I see from him. Nice athletic profile. Explosive off the snap. Nice strength and arm length. Nice hustle. 

Could still improve his hand technique, but it’s not bad. As a rising junior if he can improve his hand technique and/or add a signature move, he’s easily a 1st round talent.

In terms of comparison, not too sure. Perhaps Cameron Wake.

Edit: Initial video was taken down, was referring to Curtis Weaver for Boise State in this post.

”Curtis Weaver”

Edited by diamondbull424

K'Lavon Chaisson

Might be my favorite player of the bunch so far. He has stud level potential. Would be an excellent fit within our defense as a 34 OLB. He’s listed at 6’4 238 lbs. Not sure he’s that tall, looks closer to 6’2” but still. Reminds me of Von Miller with his athleticism, versatility, and instincts. He probably isn’t possessed of the same elite COD, but its not far from that level.

I project him to breakout in 2019 and be a 1st round option in 2020. He would be a great playmaking fit to our defense.

Edited by diamondbull424

Very Early RB Rankings

1. JK Dobbins- Excellent runner, great quickness, great vision, contact power, frenetic rusher, nice finisher. Reminds me of Ray Rice with a great overall game. Has a little more size though, so he might ultimately end up a superior player at the next level.

Workload: 472 touches (236/year)

2. DeAndre Swift- Probably the second best receiving back in this class. I’d argue that he’s an elite 3rd down back though due to his elite pass blocking. This all without mentioning his skill as a rusher. As a runner he looks very quick, decisive, and strong. Has similar rushing qualities to Sony Michel. Swift however is more durable and thus I think will ultimately be the better player overall.

Workload: 293 touches (146.5/year)

3. Zack Moss- On the same tier as the above backs would be Moss. He’s probably got the best RB vision in this class of backs. Has terrific athleticism. Breakaway speed is what you ask for. Nice contact power and balance. The only weakness to his game seems to be his hands. They’re not terrible, but they’re only on a Gus Edwards level. He needs time to reel the ball in before moving. So for that reason, unless he improves considerably in that area, I can’t see him as a top back in this class.

Workload: 515 touches (151.7/year)

4. Jonathan Taylor- Terrific power back with nice contact balance and good foot quickness. Good hands out of the backfield. The problem is that he doesn’t have breakaway speed. Similar to Moss, Taylor is right there, but has a flaw to his game that keeps him from being an elite level back. I have Moss ranked higher only because while it’s difficult to teach hands, I think it’s more probably to teach that then breakaway speed. 

Workload: 622 touches (311/year)

5. Ty Chandler- There are better RB options to be had in the draft as pure rushers, but Chandler has got some fantastic hands. They’re the best hands I’ve seen of any runner for sure. He’s got legit WR level ability. His RB vision is good. Nice quickness in 1on1 situations. My biggest concern is his contact power/strength. If he could put on a little more muscle to improve as a finisher, I think he’s got high tier potential at the next level. He’s not on the same level as the backs above. He’d be in a tier below, but in the right offense (zone scheme that passes a lot) he could probably become one of the most productive backs in the league.

Workload: 215 touches (112.5/year)

EDIT: Another issue to think of with these back are their workload. Part of why Ray Rice fell to us in the draft and lasted so few years before beginning to breakdown was his collegiate workload. He had 947 touches 315.7/ year. Taylor has seen 622 touches in just two years. So he’s currently on the same pace as Rice was and thus this thought process was the inspiration for this edit. Taylor has double the touches that some of these backs have to this point.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 12:43 AM, DreamKid said:

Jonathan Taylor is one of my favorites. Just a beast, with some Jamal Lewis Lite to him.

It terms of fumbling yeah he is like Jamal Lewis.  Not sure Taylor has Lewis in terms of pure size and strength, what Lewis ended up at 245 in weight to end his career, not sure Taylor could put on the mass Lewis had.  Also not sure Taylor has the strength Lewis had either.  Could say AJ Dillion is more like Lewis but not as fast, or JK Dobbins who is a very stocky strong dude with some speed.  Will be interesting to see how good Taylor is this year with four of the starting OL from last year gone basically, 3 to the NFL and one had to retire.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:58 AM, DreamKid said:

Big time Hybrid upside for Simmons.

I agree he has such range as a LB, can really run and cover, has good awareness and closing speed.  Kid can ball, like the play below that is honestly one of the most impressive plays in coverage I have seen from a LB in awhile.  Not sure he would fit in a 3/4 OLB spot at all though, but maybe could play inside and make a crap ton of plays like Timmons or Shazier did.

giphy.gif

PS Ed Reed has always been one of my most favorite players but after that Hall of Fame speech yesterday I like him even more!

Let Simmons be a Troy Polamalu with license to roam and chase/hit sideline to sideline or cover tight ends.

Ty Chandler seems to have really good hands, but doesn't get much on his own on runs. If he plays special teams, he is a type I would like us to look at as a 3rd down receiving back in the 5-6 round

40 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It terms of fumbling yeah he is like Jamal Lewis.  Not sure Taylor has Lewis in terms of pure size and strength, what Lewis ended up at 245 in weight to end his career, not sure Taylor could put on the mass Lewis had.  Also not sure Taylor has the strength Lewis had either.  Could say AJ Dillion is more like Lewis but not as fast, or JK Dobbins who is a very stocky strong dude with some speed.  Will be interesting to see how good Taylor is this year with four of the starting OL from last year gone basically, 3 to the NFL and one had to retire.

True, but I think it’s more of a stiff arm thing. Taylor has no stiff arm to his game to cause separation in 1on1 situations. Lewis had an elite stiff arm for those circumstances. While Taylor isn’t quite as strong as Lewis, his leg drive however is top notch.

With Dillon he reminds me of Leveon Bell. Will be a better back once he loses some of the bad weight he has on him. If he drops 20-30 lbs, I’m sure he might be possessed of higher tier athletic abilities.

36 minutes ago, Danand said:

Ty Chandler seems to have really good hands, but doesn't get much on his own on runs. If he plays special teams, he is a type I would like us to look at as a 3rd down receiving back in the 5-6 round

He’s got good vision though. Within a zone blocking scheme his athleticism and vision would lend him to greater success. What’s more he’s not just someone that gets what his line provides, look at him vs 1on1 opportunities against LBers, he consistently makes plays. He’s probably running behind the least talented line of the above options as well.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Let Simmons be a Troy Polamalu with license to roam and chase/hit sideline to sideline or cover tight ends.

Polamalu was a pure safety and he was 5-11 207 and had much more range.

Isaiah Simmons is a legit 6-4 225 and could easily be 6-4 235 if not bigger.  Maybe he plays safety in the NFL but I feel he is at OLB all the way not a S.  He has way above average coverage skills as a LB, he has below average coverage skills as a pure safety I feel.

As for the Ty Chandler talk, the kid will not come out early in 2020 I feel so little reason to talk about him.  

These are the JR backs I have coming out early could maybe throw McFarland and Whitlow as RS SOPH players.  

Najee Harris Alabama
AJ Dillion Boston College
JK Dobbins Ohio State
Eno Benjamin Arizona State
Travis Etienne Clemson
Kylin Hill Miss State
Trey Sermon Oklahoma
Cam Akers Florida State

And these guys I have returning but they have a better chance at coming out early than Chandler.  Chandler to me disappointed last year I expected a little more out of him to be honest but will see how he does this year.

Connor Heyward Michigan State
DeeJay Dallas Miami FL
Brian Robinson Jr Alabama
Spencer Brown UAB
Dedrick Mills Nebraska
Clyde Edwards-Helaire LSU

Polamalua was a strong safety who did his best work working right behind the linebackers or at the line of scrimmage, I could see Simmons do the same despite them having different sizes. Simmons length combined with his elite athleticism is what I think could turn him in to a very good defender against tight ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously the season hasn’t started yet but already our positions of need seem to be becoming clear for this draft season. Pass rush and OG/OC seem to be the early favorites. I was hoping that these positions would show better than they had in preseason, but Tim Williams looks to have regressed since last season, Bowser looks pretty good. But we could really use an elite pass rusher.

Elite center and elite pass rusher would be my pick for our 1st round needs. Tyler Biadasz and Cesar Ruiz both look like they could be 1st round talents at center. Now I need to cast a bigger net in identifying pass rushers that feel like Ravens.

The darkhorse pick in the 1st round though will be CB. So those three positions are probably the ones we’re most primed to need to identify.