MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #1 & 2 Up

MKnight82

#20 - WR Terry McLaurin

Terry-McLaurin.jpg

McLaurin's Senior year was his best in college, finishing with 35 receptions, 701 receiving yards and an impressive 11 TDs.  He finished just 3rd in OSU's receiving yards last year though, but finished with an impressive 20.0 average yards per reception.  McLaurin's game is speed, deep speed.  That is where he will contribute for us this year on offense, as a deep threat to pull back the defenses.  But likely the biggest impact he will make this year to the team is on Special Teams, where I expect him to shine as a gunner.  Urban Meyer called McLaurin the best ST gunner he had ever coached.  That's pretty high praise from an accomplished coach.  

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

You trying to make me eat crow? 

Not so much a eating crow post but more a "if we had known then what we know now, the list would look like this" kind of thing. How did seeing the live play affect your rankings?

Who overperformed? Who underperformed? Who came in from left field? (As @Doc Draper pointed out, you didn't have Adrian Peterson at all on your list because he wasn't on the roster until mid-to-late August)?

#19 - MLB Mason Foster 

USATSI_11493507.jpg?PkI68ub_cCcLJXOj.zRe

Ok lets start with the positives, Mason Foster led the team with 133 tackles last year (2nd was Zach Brown with only 96), and he also contributed 1 sack, 2 INTs and 2 fumble recoveries.  Mason Foster played 1,014 defensive snaps for the Redskins last year, which was 98.16% of all snaps, behind only Josh Norman on the team.  The problem with that is that Mason Foster should not be a 3 down player, he simply doesn't have the speed to cover RBs and modern TEs.  So while Foster contributed a lot of bulk stats last year, his overall mediocre play keeps him from ranking high on this list.  Reuben Foster would likely have stolen a bunch of nickle snaps from Foster this year, but with him going down I'm not seeing a sure thing to surpass him on the depth chart right now.  Shaun Dion Hamilton and rookie Cole Holcomb will likely both be given a shot but I'm not confident in either one of them at this point.  

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s a projection of who will be the top 20 performers for the redskins in 2019.  You can’t just ignore the rookies, lots of times they make a big impact.  

I am not saying ignore them, i is just that he is a late 4th round guard.  So every draft pick before him will also be in list, then you basically have 15 guys who are actually nfl players on team. 

You are very bullish on this draft my friend!!!  Or maybe I should say you are very negative about our roster before the draft.

Just now, offbyone said:

I am not saying ignore them, i is just that he is a late 4th round guard.  So every draft pick before him will also be in list, then you basically have 15 guys who are actually nfl players on team. 

You are very bullish on this draft my friend!!!  Or maybe I should say you are very negative about our roster before the draft.

Well you have to consider who's ahead of him on the depth chart at LG, and it isn't much.  There are only 22 starters (not counting kickers and punters) and they will likely make the biggest impact.  If Wes Martin starts 12+ games and plays well I can definitely see him being a top 20ish (I only had him HM) guy on the roster.  

You're right, I did like our draft and I thought our roster was pretty weak before it.  

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

#20 - WR Terry McLaurin

Terry-McLaurin.jpg

McLaurin's Senior year was his best in college, finishing with 35 receptions, 701 receiving yards and an impressive 11 TDs.  He finished just 3rd in OSU's receiving yards last year though, but finished with an impressive 20.0 average yards per reception.  McLaurin's game is speed, deep speed.  That is where he will contribute for us this year on offense, as a deep threat to pull back the defenses.  But likely the biggest impact he will make this year to the team is on Special Teams, where I expect him to shine as a gunner.  Urban Meyer called McLaurin the best ST gunner he had ever coached.  That's pretty high praise from an accomplished coach.  

Thanks Mknight for putting this together. It tough but fun to consider. On McLaurin 

2vFWhZY-R8fNrllz7jEqn17KOjKo1ckU1xCtxf1P

But let’s wait and see on the rookie. For his production he’s coming in awfully over hyped from his former coach the King of OverHype. 

Remember this former Ohio State WR draft pick?

“Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer recognized XXXX at the national championship celebration, "He's unbelievable. He's the MVP of our team. He's the leader of our team." References don't really come better than that for NFL scouts.”

most wont remember him today as he’s not in the league.

Lastly, I think the second weakest position coach is our WR coach. He’s been terrible at every coaching job and I don’t see him suddenly striking Gold developing a guy to be more than he already is, but I want this kid to succeed. We need him to. Why Gary Clark isn’t coaching here instead of a former Giant is a question that giphy.gif

#18 - Derrius Guice

guice.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=4

I expect some backlash on this one, but I'm projecting Guice to remain in a backup role for this season.  He's coming off of a major injury and is currently behind a first ballot HOFer on the roster.  Something around 400 rushing yards and 3-4 TDs is probably reasonable for a backup role in our offense.  He obviously could be thrust into a bigger role if Peterson goes down with an injury (or just falls off a cliff ability wise), but I expect Guice's true breakout season won't be until 2020.  

#17 - Chase Roullier

with-uncertainty-for-spencer-long-chase-

Chase Roullier started all 16 games last season (our only Olineman who can claim that) and played 100% of all offensive snaps last season.  If these stats are correct: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoulCh00.htm he only had 1 false start penalty all last season and had zero holding penalties.  So he was a reliable, rarely penalized starting interior Olineman, hard to hate on that.  I can also say that he rarely stood out on the screen though, so I don't believe he really dominates in the game in any way.  That can be difficult to judge though because he was surrounded by some real scrubs at times last year.  Hopefully he gives us another solid 16 starts this year.  

• Like 1