43M's Gaming Journal: Now Playing: God of War Ragnarok!!!

43M

On 1/28/2023 at 9:26 AM, Ty21 said:

Yeah Jedi Fallen Order wasn’t bad and felt refreshing. Likable protagonist, good enough story, era, and setting/s. Worst elements of the game were traversing the map (the further you were from your ship, the more likely you were to spend like an hour just trying to find it again) and as you said the platforming element. Sliding down, timing your jump just for your guy to awkwardly undershoot or sideswipe the rope he needed to grab almost made me go clinically insane. 

I am praying they fixed these issues for the sequel

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Playing Yakuza 0 right now, and its....fine.

Im not a big fan if the fighting gameplay.   Feels very cheap and generic, with the same types of battles repeating over and over.     It would be amazing if the gameplay was like Sleeping Dogs, and you could use environmental kills and stuff like that.

The story and cinematography is top notch, and Im invested enough to keep going with that, but the game itself is just okay.   I was hoping for more.

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Im not a big fan if the fighting gameplay.   Feels very cheap and generic, with the same types of battles repeating over and over.     It would be amazing if the gameplay was like Sleeping Dogs, and you could use environmental kills and stuff like that.

The story and cinematography is top notch, and Im invested enough to keep going with that, but the game itself is just okay.   I was hoping for more.

The story is maybe the only redeemable part of the few I’ve played. They’re probably the most formulaic and copy paste games as far as combat and gameplay feel to me. I don’t think I’ll go back to em. Sleeping Dogs was great though, still sad that studio went under 

27 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

The story is maybe the only redeemable part of the few I’ve played. They’re probably the most formulaic and copy paste games as far as combat and gameplay feel to me. I don’t think I’ll go back to em. Sleeping Dogs was great though, still sad that studio went under 

Yeah.  There are a bunch of games too, and with gameplay this mundane, I couldn't possibly make it through all of them.

Ill get through 0 and might try out the remake of 1 just to see whats up, but I doubt I go through the entire series.

14 hours ago, 43M said:

Yeah in terms of good quality games unless you enjoy side content, yakuza isn't fantastic. Kiwami 1+2 remake also have this issue since they're based on much older games (granted Kiwaki 2 remake is on their modern engine, 3,4,5 are remasters, 6 is on the modern engine, 7 as well etc.) I think the stories and characters are super worth IMO and it's technically Sega's best run franchise.

But it is not for everyone, I think I enjoy it because you get to see the characters grow and change over their entire lives (on Yakuza 4 re-mastered atm)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Yeah in terms of good quality games unless you enjoy side content, yakuza isn't fantastic. Kiwami 1+2 remake also have this issue since they're based on much older games (granted Kiwaki 2 remake is on their modern engine, 3,4,5 are remasters, 6 is on the modern engine, 7 as well etc.) I think the stories and characters are super worth IMO and it's technically Sega's best run franchise.

But it is not for everyone, I think I enjoy it because you get to see the characters grow and change over their entire lives (on Yakuza 4 re-mastered atm)

Like I said, if you could have these stories with Sleeping Dogs gameplay, it would be amazing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Like I said, if you could have these stories with Sleeping Dogs gameplay, it would be amazing.

Rip Sleeping dogs looooool......I think Embracer group got the IP when they bought out Square's Western stuff. Maybe we'll see a "REMASTER" and then something out of it.

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Rip Sleeping dogs looooool......I think Embracer group got the IP when they bought out Square's Western stuff. Maybe we'll see a "REMASTER" and then something out of it.

Still depresses me more didn't come of that franchise.   The first game even set up a sequel.    And in many ways, I preferred it to GTA.    The fighting was so much fun, especially environmental kills.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:50 PM, 43M said:

Still depresses me more didn't come of that franchise.   The first game even set up a sequel.    And in many ways, I preferred it to GTA.    The fighting was so much fun, especially environmental kills.

Some things live best in our memories. I don’t think square enix would’ve been innovative enough to continue pushing out improved iterations of sleeping dogs that actually felt on par with being in GTA’s shadow and visually impressed unless they resorted to cartoony gimmicks 

On 1/30/2023 at 12:22 PM, Ty21 said:
On 1/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, JBURGE said:

I am praying they fixed these issues for the sequel

It’s still EA, so I think our most optimistic desire is that it doesn’t take a step back lol 

True, but I have more faith in Respawn than most other studios

• Like 1

Im not sure if Im going to keep going with Yakuza.   I might play it a couple more times, but the gameplay is just so...meh.     I honestly have no idea how it gets the scores that it does.   I could see a beginner gamer really getting into it, and even though I really like the storytelling aspect, the gameplay is just too bland for my taste.   There is so little tension and they all feel the same....and it really takes away from the experience.

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

Gave up on Yakuza.  Gameplay just too boring and mediocre.

Started on Witcher 1 with the HD mod, and enjoying it for the most part.   Probably going to go through all 3 games....which should take me at least 6 months.

• 3 weeks later...

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1646335465 Review

A few years ago, I delved into the world of Geralt of Rivia and the amazing Witcher 3, which quickly became one of my favorite games of all time.    However, it was easy to become overwhelmed by that game, and while I put an easy 150 hours into it, I couldve put alot more, and I didnt even do the supposedly expansive DLCs.     I knew one day I would return to the  game, but I wasnt sure when.  I contemplated playing through all the games, but wasnt sure if or when that would ultimately happen. 

Well, fast forward a few years and here I am, ready to get back into this awesome franchise once again.     Alot of people told me to skip Witcher 1 since it was really outdated and wasnt really worth going through, and I almost didnt, but since I got it dirt cheap a couple years ago, I figured it was at least worth a shot.   I found a bunch of mods, one specifically that overhauled the textures, characters and UI in the game, so I loaded them up and gave it a go.

Being an "older" gamer, I can more easily get past outdated graphics and even SOME outdated gameplay if the game is actually pretty good, and I am happy to say, I really enjoyed Witcher 1.   Sure, there was some annoying aspects and outdated dynamics present, but you could also see the love put into the first CDPR Witcher game, and what would eventually blossom into the masterpiece that was Witcher 3.

The graphics with the mods were actually quite solid, and held up pretty decent.     The most annoying part was how so many NPCs looked exactly the same and there were only about 10-12 different characters models in the game outside of key characters.     Either way, I was able to get over this quite easily since, as I said, graphics arent a huge deal to me.

Gameplay was surprisingly fun, even if perhaps too easy once you get a hang of it and make Geralt strong enough.    Still, if I can get through Devil May Cry's PS2 fixed camera gameplay, this was no big deal.   There isnt alot of good or bad things to say about the gameplay.   It was kinda just right down the middle for me, which was actually perfectly fine by me since its such an old game.    The only bad things I really have to say was that occasionally had issues with the camera and responsiveness of the controls, which sometimes went hand in hand.   Like, you get backed into a corner or something and the camera would basically go into first person, but I couldnt really get him to swing his sword or even move if backed into a corner by group of enemies.   Fortunately, this wasnt an issue I had very often.

The story was where the game really shined, though.    Not that you absolutely need to know it to play Witcher 3, but it game alot of nice backstory for Geralt, Triss and some other notable characters that pop up in Witcher 3.    It also makes alot of references to Yennfer, the Wild Hunt, Ciri and other aspects of the Witcher-verse.

As with Witcher 3, there was a TON to do in this game.  Not quite as expansive or done quite as well, but again, you could see the seedlings in this game for what made Witcher 3 as special as it was.   I probably put a good 50 or 60 hours into it, and couldve done another 10 to 20 hours if everything was really worth completing, but unlike Witcher 3, it kinda wasnt.

The biggest gripe I have with the game was how directionless it all felt.     There were times I legit had no idea what to do, and no matter who I talked to or what I did, there was no indication.   Sometimes, you needed to talk to some random NPC the advance something, and you would never really know who if you werent able to look it up online or just talk to every single NPC in town, which was alot.      I dont need a game to hold my hand, but I also dont like when it assumes you should just figure every little thing out on you own.      Most of game gave you hints or flat out told you, but there were a few where I had to look at a walkthrough to get me past a certain mission.

Oh, and one other notable down....the first boss battle of the game is by far the hardest, and supposedly impossible unless you spend alot of early time grinding or you cheat.   I looked up how to beat this boss after dying 20 times, and almost every video was cheating, where you ducked off into a corner where all these zombie wolves cant get you, and come out and attack the main boss after regenerating health.     It was only that one small section, but just poorly designed for how weak you are early.   

Bottom line:    Outdated in many ways, but still quite the enjoyable experience if you can get past some of the stuff.   Like I said, you can get how passionate they were about this franchise from the get go.   If they remake this as rumored with Witcher 3 treatment, I will gladly play through it again.

Gameplay:  7
Story:  9
Graphics: 8 (taking into account timeframe, and adding an extra point or two for the mods)
Value/Replayability:   7
Personal Enjoyment: 8

Final Score:    8.1

Next up, as you probably guessed (and read in the title) is....

Witcher_2_cover.jpg

Ive played it for a few hours, and its much different and much harder than the first game.   Still trying to learn and get used to everything, but its still really fun, thus far....even if a bit annoying.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:32 PM, 43M said:

Im not sure if Im going to keep going with Yakuza.   I might play it a couple more times, but the gameplay is just so...meh.     I honestly have no idea how it gets the scores that it does.   I could see a beginner gamer really getting into it, and even though I really like the storytelling aspect, the gameplay is just too bland for my taste.   There is so little tension and they all feel the same....and it really takes away from the experience.

Co worker of mine loves the Yakuza Games. He’s beaten, and owns them alI. I tried playing once but it wasn’t for me.

• Like 1

• 43M changed the title to 43M's Gaming Journal: Now Playing: God of War Ragnarok!!!