OTAs

Thaiphoon

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I like how this keeps coming back to being told we want to cut Ryan today because he didn't show up to voluntary OTAs (not the case). This all started because I said 

And then went on to describe how I was shocked he wasn't there.

Yup. Lots of strawmen being erected

14 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

You upset about me training elsewhere let's me know I won't be resigning here and have no problem being traded or released.

1. If you are traded, Washington gets something out of you that they weren't getting with you here.
  2. If you are released, many wishes on getting on another team. I say that with all sincerity.
  3. Just like we don't know if anyone was shining in the snaps that occurred with Anderson being elsewhere, we don't know he was training elsewhere either. For all we know, he went to Cancun. Again, that's his choice.
14 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Bell missed a whole year and still didn't show up to the Jets until Mandatory. We both can play the bussiness side of the NFL. 

Bell was also the best RB in the game when he was playing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Woz said:

@MikeT14 - it could also be someone we have no idea about. Remember, this time last year, no one had any clue that Washington's leading rusher was Adrian Peterson.

Of course. I was just listing guys who I think are there and could conceivably in theory take his job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

You literally arent understanding the point we are making. And you're erecting a strawman in the process.

@Wozand my entire point isnt the one youre complaining about above...that

"he didnt come to voluntary workouts...so cut him."

We never said that.

Our position is; 

"uh...guy...you are already on thin ice as it is. We already wanted to move on from you because youve shown us jack squat. So if you choose to not be here and cede playing to to other guys, then you're taking the chance that those other guys are gonna show up and THEY...through their play...put you out of a job. So if you're comfortable taking that chance, then dont complain if you do lose your job to the guy who took your reps during voluntary meetings and showed out."

In essence...Anderson is potentially Wally Pipping himself.

How is he on thin ice with no one to replace him but this fictional player no one can name? He has done what was asked of him and decided to miss Voluntary Activities that's it thats all! Nothing else needs to be said. He shouldn't be on thin ice because of that. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Of course. I was just listing guys who I think are there and could conceivably in theory take his job.

Just did a quick scan of what might be available. If they were desperate, Vincent Rey or Sam Acho could maybe work.

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm pretty sure @Woz and I know what getting "Wally Pipped" means.

You clearly dont. You're focused on someone getting punished for skipping organized team activities.

We're focused on him opening the door (that didnt need to be opened and shouldnt have been) for another guy to possibly take his spot.

Its not a punishment when you literally open the door and give the guy behi d you the chance to make you unemployed

No I'm focused on someone who didn't participate in Voluntary Activities, He did what was Mandatory of him! 

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

How is he on thin ice with no one to replace him but this fictional player no one can name? He has done what was asked of him and decided to miss Voluntary Activities that's it thats all! Nothing else needs to be said. He shouldn't be on thin ice because of that. 

Actually, @MikeT14 listed names: 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:
47 LB 6-4 248 N/A R James Madison

BJ Blunt 48R LB 6-1 220 24 R McNeese State

Jordan Brailford 95 LB 6-3 252 23 R Oklahoma State
46 LB 6-2 245 27 6 Arizona

Shaun Dion Hamilton 51 LB 6-0 235 23 2 Alabama

Josh Harvey-Clemons 40 LB 6-4 230 25 3 Louisville

Cole Holcomb 57 LB 6-1 231 22 R North Carolina

Cassanova McKinzy 58 LB 6-3 257 26 2 Auburn
58 LB 6-3 258 27 5 Louisville

Specifically (the others are more likely ILBs):

• Andrew Ankrah
  • BJ Blunt
  • Jordan Brailford
  • Marquis Flowers
  • Cassanova McKinzy
  • Marcus Smith

Marcus Smith would be the one I would be watching out for if I were Ryan Anderson. Interesting aside about him: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/marcus-smith-got-kind-raw-deal-eagles

None of which is to say the Eagles made a mistake in releasing Smith on Thursday. Aside from not being very good, he was somebody who clearly didn’t “get it,” too. That was never more evident when he skipped voluntary OTAs this past spring, then explained, “I don’t feel like I missed anything.”

Only the fight for his job.

Smith essentially vacated his roster spot with that decision after managing only 23 tackles and 4.0 sacks in his first three seasons with the Eagles. Nobody needs to feel particularly sorry for a person whose actions suggested he didn’t really want to be here.

That sounds like a familiar story ...

Keep in mind Smith was a former first round draft pick. At the same time, in limited playing time, he managed 6.5 sacks in three years (two with Philadelphia, one with Seattle). That would be 4.5 more than Anderson has in his career.

The other two I would be worried about (but to a lesser extent) would be Cassanova McKinzy (was on the practice squad and briefly on the active roster) and Jordan Brailford (Washington under Allen likes to have his draft picks make the roster(*)).

(*) Only draft picks not to make the Opening Day roster since 2015:

• 6.06 (182) Tevin Mitchel (they tried to get him through waivers to IR, but the Colts claimed him)
    • 6.11 (187) Even Spencer (they did get him through waivers to IR, but then cut him with an injury settlement)
    • 7.05 (222) Austin Reiter (signed to practice squad a month in)
    • 7.11 (232) Steven Daniels (tore his labrum in training camp and was put on IR)
    • 7.21 (242) Keith Marshall (put on IR before season began)
    • 6.25 (209) Robert Davis (cut before season, put on practice squad)
    • 2.27 (59) Derrius Guice (placed on IR)

So, only Austin Reiter and Robert Davis didn't make the roster for a reason other than injury. Now, Brailford's a late pick, so it's no guarantee, but at the same time, they've seemingly tried to keep their guys from hitting the waiver wire and having them poached.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You're adding extra to something that wasn't said. I acknowledged already that it was voluntary. I even said I didn't care about the others that didn't show up. What I am shocked about is a fringe third year player, who is busting his way out of the league, who will be fighting for a spot on the team in a league where your time in it on average is short, is skipping important time to get better - voluntary or not. 

I had voluntary practices every weekday over the summer for basketball over the summer. I went to just about every single one of them. Not only would I get better (I was one of the first off the bench), but it helped with camaraderie with teammates. This isn't some stupid "cult" thing, it's something that makes me question Anderson's drive to improve and get better. If he's spending this whole week working out on his own like you say he could be, why not do it at camp where your PROFESSIONAL COACHES can help you?

Dude, it's pretty clear you care that Anderson didn't show up for voluntary work outs.

You say in one sentence:  ”That I already acknowledge that it's voluntary.”

Then, in the next sentence:  ”I even said I didn't care about the others that didn't show up. What I am shocked about is a fringe third year player, who is busting his way out of the league, who will be fighting for a spot on the team in a league where your time in it on average is short, is skipping important time to get better - voluntary or not.“

IMO you can't have it both easy here. You don't care that others for show up but you care that Anderson didn't? It's voluntary for everyone.

Sure he should be there, I think they all should be there, even Trent Williams on the sidelines supporting his teammates but they don't have to be.

Lastly, Ryan Anderson isn't busting his way out of the league. That's a gross exaggeration. So, Anderson hasn't gotten a lot of snaps his first two seasons stuck on the depth chart behind 3 vets. That doesn't mean he’s so bad that he's not going to make the Redskins, won't be re-signed by the Redskins or other teams in the future.

I’ll say what I always say about Anderson. To me, he's a solid all-around linebacker and special teams guy. He's a stout run defender. He doesn't have the natural size/length or skills that Preston Smith or Montez Sweat has. I don't see Anderson ever being a double-digit sack guy, but just bc he may never be that doesn't mean there isn't a place for him as a special teams guy and a back up OLB in the NFL for the next 8-10 years. There's plenty of guys who’ve made a long NFL career out of being those types of relentless lunch pail players who may have not ever displayed the most athleticism or had natural talent but stuck in the league as reserves bc of the things they did do.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Dude, it's pretty clear you care that Anderson didn't show up for voluntary work outs.

You say in one sentence:  ”That I already acknowledge that it's voluntary.”

Then, in the next sentence:  ”I even said I didn't care about the others that didn't show up. What I am shocked about is a fringe third year player, who is busting his way out of the league, who will be fighting for a spot on the team in a league where your time in it on average is short, is skipping important time to get better - voluntary or not.“

IMO you can't have it both easy here. You don't care that others for show up but you care that Anderson didn't? It's voluntary for everyone.

Sure he should be there, I think they all should be there, even Trent Williams on the sidelines supporting his teammates but they don't have to be.

2iq4mp.jpg

Thanks for reaffirming my point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I could be doing extra elsewhere but seems no one will give me credits for that so I'll jist prove myself in Training Camp anf preseason. 

Cool.  Then I’ll just cut you and retain the guy that is here every day trying to make the roster.  

• Like 1