Robbie Gould Update; The Stalemate Continues

soulman

Robbie Gould: 'Family will dictate decisions I make'

ByKirk Larrabee 16 hours ago

Robbie Gould shed some light Tuesday on his thought process regarding his situation with the San Francisco 49ers, saying he plans on letting his family drive whatever decisions he makes regarding his future.

Gould has been away from the 49ers since they decided to give him the franchise tag in February, electing instead to stay with his family in Chicago. The 49ers have been adamant about their desire to keep Gould as their kicker for the long term, but in April Gould grew frustrated with the situation and demanded a trade from the 49ers, while his agent, Brian Mackler, told ESPN there was uncertainty on their end over whether or not Gould would report to the 49ers before the start of the season, if at all. 

On Tuesday, Gould addressed his current stance on the matter while speaking at his charity golf event to NBC Sports Chicago. His comments suggest he hasn't deviated from the position he took in April, saying he intends to let his family be the deciding factor in where he winds up in the end.

“It’s a complicated situation,” Gould said, via NBC Sports Bay Area. “The way I’ve kind of approached it is, I want to spend time with my family. And I let my agent handle it, and if anything comes up that I have to make a decision or be in the know, he’ll call me and let me know. But right now there’s nothing to really know, and I’m just enjoying being home and being in Chicago. I’m at a point in my career where my family is what’s going to dictate the decisions that I make.”

Gould has thrived in San Francisco on the field, connecting on 72-of-75 field goals since signing a two-year deal with the 49ers in 2017. The Bears gave Gould his release before the start of the 2016 season after 11 years with the team, but given the ongoing questions they have at the kicking position dating back to last season, there's little doubt they'd welcome him back if the opportunity presented itself. Gould says he's been trying to stay focused on his own situation rather than worry about what might be happening with the kicking competition in Chicago. 

"The biggest thing to me is just to focus on myself," Gould told NBC Sports Chicago. "There’s nothing else that can really happen. There’s no other situation that is going to change for me at this point as to what’s going to happen professionally. So, it’s been nice. I’ve been able to focus on my own training, focus on my own kicking, and really just focus on my family."

Meanwhile, the 49ers are hoping Gould signs his franchise tender and reports to the team at some point before they begin regular season play against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on September 8. 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters earlier this month he would prefer if Gould was with the team throughout the offseason and preseason but would have no problem if he decided to stay away until September. 

"Yeah, definitely," Shanahan said. "Obviously, I would much rather Robbie be here and do everything. We love having him around, but I understand how he feels from what’s going on. If that’s the way he would like to do it, no problem with that at all. We’d always rather it be perfect the way we want it, but if he doesn’t want to show up with Week 1, it is what it is. I’ll take a very good kicker at any time, whether it’s Week 1 or on third down just one play before we have to kick. Robbie’s a hell of a kicker. Nothing’s really changed on that, I just really hope that he shows up by the time we play Week 1."

Maybe nothing or maybe something.  No one seems to be pulling ahead in our PK battle so far.

All I can say is I won't dismiss it until it's 100% dead and he signs his tender with SF.  Remember how late we added Mack last year.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think I've posted this before but according to David Kaplan, there is a 0% chance the Bears try to acquire Gould. Apparently a lot of people in the organization think he's a giant ***hole

I don’t think anyone will care about that if they think Gould is the difference between making or not making the Super Bowl. Guys want to win. 

• Like 1

Gould isn’t going to sit out a franchise tag and 49ers know it. 

He is a 36 year old kicker with a handful of earning years left and a tag is a big pay day. 

Even if Bears did get him no guarantee he won’t hit that age wall or kick poorly in soldier field again.  

I think you go with Piniero and maybe you have your kicker for next 10 years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think anyone will care about that if they think Gould is the difference between making or not making the Super Bowl. Guys want to win. 

That would be my thinking as well and IF that's what Kaplan claims then maybe he should name names since the turn out Robbie gets for his charity golf outing seems pretty good.  Is it possible that some of the issues are based on his having been the NFLPA player rep?

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Gould isn’t going to sit out a franchise tag and 49ers know it. 

He is a 36 year old kicker with a handful of earning years left and a tag is a big pay day. 

Even if Bears did get him no guarantee he won’t hit that age wall or kick poorly in soldier field again.  

I think you go with Piniero and maybe you have your kicker for next 10 years. 

I'm kinda 50/50 on that one.

In our world no one would walk away from $5 mil for one years work but in the scheme of things in the NFL that's the cost of a middlin' core starter.  Right now money doesn't seem to be his prime motivation.

His accuracy over the past 3 years virtually assures him of a bidding war for him next spring if he does sit out.  The only question is can he be assured of getting offers from teams any closer to Chicago?  One would think so even if it's not us.

He can't be much farther away than SF and living and working out there under Cali taxation and the COL around SF is steep.  So maybe the question in his mind is what will that $5 mil actually net him and is it worth it vs taking a year off to be with his boys and wife.

I'm all for Piniero making it because if he can get his act together permanently we would have our PK ills cured but so far that's been anything but assured.  Counter to that though is can we really afford a $5 mil per year PK right now or in the near future.  Who goes in order to pay for that?

What I do know is this.  I'm getting tired enough of the PK issues and indecision to quote Yoda; "Either do or do not, there is no try".

11 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm kinda 50/50 on that one.

In our world no one would walk away from $5 mil for one years work but in the scheme of things in the NFL that's the cost of a middlin' core starter.  Right now money doesn't seem to be his prime motivation.

His accuracy over the past 3 years virtually assures him of a bidding war for him next spring if he does sit out.  The only question is can he be assured of getting offers from teams any closer to Chicago?  One would think so even if it's not us.

He can't be much farther away than SF and living and working out there under Cali taxation and the COL around SF is steep.  So maybe the question in his mind is what will that $5 mil actually net him and is it worth it vs taking a year off to be with his boys and wife.

I'm all for Piniero making it because if he can get his act together permanently we would have our PK ills cured but so far that's been anything but assured.  Counter to that though is can we really afford a $5 mil per year PK right now or in the near future.  Who goes in order to pay for that?

What I do know is this.  I'm getting tired enough of the PK issues and indecision to quote Yoda; "Either do or do not, there is no try".

I think he wants out and ideally would like to be in Chicago.  But I think he will play in 2019 for 5 million if they call his bluff which it looks like they are.

Maybe he just really doesn't like that place.   It's still USA, but SF is a radical different culture that isn't everyone's cup of tea and has a homeless/drug problem that can make you feel unsafe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I think he wants out and ideally would like to be in Chicago.  But I think he will play in 2019 for 5 million if they call his bluff which it looks like they are.

Maybe he just really doesn't like that place.   It's still USA, but SF is a radical different culture that isn't everyone's cup of tea and has a homeless/drug problem that can make you feel unsafe.

So far they are because why wouldn't they?  Camp hasn't even begun.

I'm gonna watch what goes on with any other PKs they may have in camp and throughout the preseason before I say in finality whether Robbie will show for week 1 if he hasn't already by then.  I really don't think the money is motivating him and I believe this is why.

Net Worth: $22 Million Robbie_Gould.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=245&h=2

Robbie Gould is an American football player who is currently playing for Chicago Bears as a placekicker. His net worth is estimated to be around $22 million.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:01 AM, RJ_11 said:

I doubt we make a move, we've already traded for one kicker in 2019, we're not going to do it again. Gould will sit out the entire off-season then show up week 1 for the Niners.

The Piniero trade is conditional - if he doesn’t play at least 5 games for us it costs us literally nothing. Trading for Gould would mean getting rid of Piniero before we owe any compensation. 

The negotiation deadline for long term deals for guys on the tag is 7/15. Let’s see if Gould’s posture changes once that’s passed and they can’t do a long term deal. Something tells me that once it’s all or nothing on the tag salary he’s going to report. This isn’t a RB saving wear and tear - he’s going to be 37 next offseason. If he wants to get the long term lucrative deal next offseason he’s obviously not getting this offseason IMO not only does he need to kick in 2019 but continue to kick well as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If we are looking beyond 2019 you’d have to think Indy is a viable option too - it’s a 4-hour drive from Chicago and Vinatieri is almost eligible for an AARP card. Indy also has a zillion dollars in cap space. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2