Fiba World Cup 2019 Thread

NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

Our last 4 gold medal teams that steamrolled the field had legit top 10 all-time guys in their prime. This year our best player might be Kemba Walker. Huge drop off in talent.  

Going in circles. Even without stars...we're still head and shoulders the most talented team.

We'll see how it goes.

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They have Rudy, two big NBA wings that can score, and a very good young PG. 

I'm not worried about France. Unless they will change their play style. Last time they played like the USA team, which isn't great if you don't have the talent. The teams that to worry about are the teams that play like the old school Spurs or run a high level PnR scheme.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Going in circles. Even without stars...we're still head and shoulders the most talented team.

We'll see how it goes.

The talent differential isn't close to what it was in the past. And there's a lack of guys that can just take over games on the roster. Our best player couldn't even elevate his team to 40 wins in the Eastern Conference. Our last 4 teams had multiple guys that were key pieces for elite dynasties. 

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

I'm not worried about France. Unless they will change their play style. Last time they played like the USA team, which isn't great if you don't have the talent. The teams that to worry about are the teams that play like the old school Spurs or run a high level PnR scheme.

France actually has perimeter players that can score and if they slow the game down they'll be very stout defensively because of Rudy, you know, the best defensive player in the world. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The talent differential isn't close to what it was in the past. And there's a lack of guys that can just take over games on the roster. Our best player couldn't even elevate his team to 40 wins in the Eastern Conference. Our last 4 teams had multiple guys that were key pieces for elite dynasties. 

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see.

Major difference between a team full of All-NBA, HOFers playing against NBA role players/high level Euro guys. And fringe All-Star level talent playing against that same competition. 

France actually has perimeter players that can score and if they slow the game down they'll be very stout defensively because of Rudy, you know, the best defensive player in the world. 

meh, they were underwhelming last time they got together. Which I think was last summer, I think for the qualifying stuff. they don't play that ball movement, pick your defense apart style that some of the other teams do.

• Like 1

Major difference between a team full of All-NBA, HOFers playing against NBA role players/high level Euro guys. And fringe All-Star level talent playing against that same competition. 

Yep...

So...

We're...

Probably...

Gonna...

Have...

To...

Just...

Wait...

And...

See...

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Yep...

So...

We're...

Probably...

Gonna...

Have...

To...

Just...

Wait...

And...

See...

This might be the Celtics-lite out there so we know there's a limited chance at a Gold Medal. Unless Donovan can carry them and/or Pop can actually coach them unlike young Brad Brad. 

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

meh, they were underwhelming last time they got together. Which I think was last summer, I think for the qualifying stuff. they don't play that ball movement, pick your defense apart style that some of the other teams do.

They were 16-2 during the European Qualifying games. The only two countries with a better record were Greece and Lithuania who both went 17-1. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

They were 16-2 during the European Qualifying games. The only two countries with a better record were Greece and Lithuania who both went 17-1. 

I was talking about Eurobasket, which I think the winner automatically gets in the Olympics or WC. But they went 3-3 and I watched a couple of their games and it was pretty sad how they played. Tho I don't think Gobert played, but they still had like 5 NBA dudes, none of which was their best player. So it was disappointing. I don't even think they qualified for the tourney part of Eurobasket. Slovenia went undefeated at 9-0 w/ Doncic and Dragic. 

Eurobasket was actually two years ago. 

11 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Eurobasket was actually two years ago. 

I'm interested to see how they'll look with Rudy Gobert and the emergence of Theo Maledon who is going to be a top 5 pick next year. 

Edited by NYRaider