Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

2 hours ago, Woz said:

So, what you're saying is that he completely wrecked the defense and left it in such shambles that they have only now begun to pull their way out of nine years on?

Because of poor drafting and injuries. The defense in 2011 was at worst average but then in 2012, Orakpo, Carriker and Bowen all got hurt and they didn't keep Landry or Atogwe after they were injured in 2011.

Hard to have a good defense when all of that talent leaves your defense within a year. 

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Because of poor drafting and injuries. The defense in 2011 was at worst average but then in 2012, Orakpo, Carriker and Bowen all got hurt and they didn't keep Landry or Atogwe after they were injured in 2011.

Hard to have a good defense when all of that talent leaves your defense within a year. 

1. That would be two years after he showed up.
  2. Kind of hard to keep talent if you repeatedly try to jam a square peg into a round hole.

13 hours ago, Woz said:
  2. Kind of hard to keep talent if you repeatedly try to jam a square peg into a round hole.

What square peg into a round hole?

Orakpo, Carriker and Bowen all fit in the 3-4 scheme but they got hurt. They drafted Kerrigan, he’s been a good fit for the 3-4. The only person they miscast was Cofield who should have been playing DE and not NT in most peoples opinions, including mine.

2010 there really wasn't a true free agency bc of the pending lock out the owners put on the players. 

So, the first real offseason Shanahan had he and Haz put at worst an average D on the field when they drafted Kerrigan, re-signed Carriker and signed Bowen and Cofield, but then, in 2012 ShanAllen wrongly gave Fred Davis the franchise tag instead of Landry, they cut Atogwe and Orakpo and Carriker got hurt vs St Louis and then Bowen got hurt.

You can't take that much talent off any defense and except it to be at least average as it was the year before.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

#2 describes all of the Snyder years into one sentence..........or gets you as close as possible to doing so.  

4 hours ago, Woz said:

*sigh* not going down this path again.

In other news

Still a good guy.

And these players are humans too.  They are losing their jobs, and for many it might be their last chance at a dream.  Even if I dislike a player immensely, I hate to see someone lose their job.  Fans often forget this point. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And these players are humans too.  They are losing their jobs, and for many it might be their last chance at a dream.  Even if I dislike a player immensely, I hate to see someone lose their job.  Fans often forget this point. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s not about not feeling sorry for them, it just comes with the territory. It’s like when players complain because fans don’t see them as people but at the same time have no issue telling fans their backbreaking 9-5 is nowhere near as difficult as playing football. I do agree with you though, seeing anyone lose their job is unsettling. 

Archived