Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It was Doctson for Peterson.  Doctson put up 500 receiving yards with Alex Smith, Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson as his QBs last year.  People are overreacting about his performance.  I could easily argue Doctson would likely be our best WR this year.  Richardson will get hurt, McLaurin is a rookie, Quinn and Davis were very late round picks.  We have a guy in Guice that SHOULD be taking Peterson's carries.  The same can't be said at WR.  

I’m still taking Peterson over Docston considering he did about the same thing with pass-happy Kirk as his QB. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Peterson will just take carries from Guice though.  

Yeah but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Especially with Guice coming off the major injury. One year of AP backing up Guice and then it’s Guice full time next season with Love as his primary back up and 3rd down back. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Yeah but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Especially with Guice coming off the major injury. One year of AP backing up Guice and then it’s Guice full time next season with Love as his primary back up and 3rd down back. 

I guess my point was, from Jay's perspective, what's a bigger drop off: from Peterson to Guice, or from Doctson to McLaurin?  I would argue the dropoff from Doctson to McLaurin THIS YEAR will likely be bigger.  

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

God, Gruden should be tip toeing his way around the building this week. Remember the look Peterson have to Sean Payton?

Changing the subject. Anyone giving any cred to what DHall is saying in his podcast that Trent will come back “sooner rather than later”?

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I guess my point was, from Jay's perspective, what's a bigger drop off: from Peterson to Guice, or from Doctson to McLaurin?  I would argue the dropoff from Doctson to McLaurin THIS YEAR will likely be bigger.  

Minnesota signed Doctson to be their #3 WR. Moves Thielen inside. That's actually a good thing for him.

He would not do as well here.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

It was Doctson for Peterson.  Doctson put up 500 receiving yards with Alex Smith, Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson as his QBs last year.  People are overreacting about his performance.  I could easily argue Doctson would likely be our best WR this year.  Richardson will get hurt, McLaurin is a rookie, Quinn and Davis were very late round picks.  We have a guy in Guice that SHOULD be taking Peterson's carries.  The same can't be said at WR.  

• Smith - 41 targets, 24 catches, 245 yards (he had two targets and one catch (9 yards) vs Houston with Smith)
  • McCoy - 17 targets, 10 catches, 129 yards (he had two targets and two catches (23 yards) vs Houston with McCoy; he had two targets and two catches in Dallas with McCoy)

So, with the nominal QB talent that Washington had last year, he had: 58 targets, 34 catches, 374 yards, 2 TDs. In 9+ games.

Yes, a good chunk of that was the conservative playcalling, but he's been a guy here. Nothing special.

Maybe without the pressure of being the top receiver, he goes on to have a good career in Minnesota. That's possible. However, he wouldn't be that here.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, with the nominal QB talent that Washington had last year, he had: 58 targets, 34 catches, 374 yards, 2 TDs. In 9+ games.

I'm not sure what stats you're quoting, but Josh Doctson had 44 receptions, 532 yards and 2 TDs last year.  

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yes, a good chunk of that was the conservative playcalling, but he's been a guy here. Nothing special.

You're also ignoring my point.  IMO the marginal difference between Peterson and Guice is much less than Doctson to McLuarin.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I'm not sure what stats you're quoting, but Josh Doctson had 44 receptions, 532 yards and 2 TDs last year.  

I was discounting his time with Sanchez and Johnson (just focused on Smith and McCoy) because I thought it would make him look worse.

I suppose I could go break down his time with all four QBs, but to be honest, I don't care all that much.

You're also ignoring my point.  IMO the marginal difference between Peterson and Guice is much less than Doctson to McLuarin.  

I'm not so sure it is as big a gulf as you think. Yes, McLaurin is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. However, he will likely spend at least part of the season catching balls and hopefully building chemistry with Haskins. Any reps given to Doctson (a guy who was almost assuredly leaving/not being brought after this season) would hinder that growth.

Yes, Keenum is going to be the QB early so those reps won't matter (for either gentleman), but over the long haul?

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm not so sure it is as big a gulf as you think. Yes, McLaurin is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. However, he will likely spend at least part of the season catching balls and hopefully building chemistry with Haskins. Any reps given to Doctson (a guy who was almost assuredly leaving/not being brought after this season) would hinder that growth.

Yes, Keenum is going to be the QB early so those reps won't matter (for either gentleman), but over the long haul?

Look I like McLaurin but we’re talking  about a guy who was never even a #1 option at the college level.  Also people are crapping on Doctsons 500 yard season, go look how many yards Paul Richardson had last year (its much worse).  Also your argument for giving the younger player reps could (and should) be applied to the Peterson/Guice debate.

Look I like McLaurin but we’re talking  about a guy who was never even a #1 option at the college level.  Also people are crapping on Doctsons 500 yard season, go look how many yards Paul Richardson had last year (its much worse).  Also your argument for giving the younger player reps could (and should) be applied to the Peterson/Guice debate.

Yes, but McLaurin isn't coming off a major knee injury.

Ideally, Peterson's usage would start high and tail off as the season progresses, and Guice's would pick up.

Kind of like a cross fader (maybe not as stiff as this image)

crossfader-switch.gif

Archived