"There are no incumbents"

theJ

I actually thought Hopkins has looked better at C.  So the fact that the staff is considering playing him over Price does lend more confidence for the decisions that will be made at LG and RG.

As much as I appreciate them giving everyone a real look, I would like to see some opportunity for the offensive line to gain cohesion. 

Didn't MJ have the worst performance of the interior line options? Maybe just trying to get him next to a vet for a minute to help his confidence. 

56 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

As much as I appreciate them giving everyone a real look, I would like to see some opportunity for the offensive line to gain cohesion. 

Didn't MJ have the worst performance of the interior line options? Maybe just trying to get him next to a vet for a minute to help his confidence. 

I'd rather the cohesion come after they determine who the best 5 are.  Seems like a better approach then determining that day 1 of camp and trying to get that cohesion before week 1.  That's what has been done in the past, and it's led to some sketchy decisions.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

For sure,  I just wonder how long that goes on.  At some point we need to give them a chance to gel. 

I can't remember where i read it, but one of the local beats seemed to think that whoever starts week three of the preseason is probably the week 1 starter.  So i think that's the timeline.

Refreshing to hear.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if Hopkins had a legit chance to win the spot.  if he did, I wouldn't be shocked either to see Price win the RG spot, like many of us wanted to see at least tried last year.

Edit:  And if Hopkins wins the job long term, we are 80% of the way to the future OL with Williams, Jordan, Hopkins and Price, with the RT coming in the next draft.  Obviously I am assuming Jordan eventually wins the LG spot long term.

18 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Would like to see Andrew Brown face some tougher competition next game. He looked like a man among boys out there

He's a penetrator.  Need to make sure we're utilizing him on pass rushing downs.  idk about playing him a ton though because when I watched him in college, he got dominated in the run game.  Still pass rushing matters more, so I say turn him loose on the QB...

Archived