Vince Williams' time with Steelers over?

armsteeld

24 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I never liked the idea of colbert signing him to such a deal, another colbert fail - last year again:o williams should be gone with the new talent here but once again, time for colbert o admit he was wrong last year, and that might not happen. He has burns to cut and now williams? Fort should be here, now williams

Honestly this is something that frustrates me. I feel like the FO settles too often for 'what we have' at positions rather than making changes and trying to get something out of prospects that are available to us.

I get that's normal across the league and that a prospect isnt necessarily better than experienced talent, but for example, Sutton Smith likely doesnt even make the roster, could we have drafted a safety? Maybe not, maybe there was nothing more promising than Smith and that's fine.

Maybe Tre Boston? Idk I'm just saying it feels they settle for mediocrity often, too often.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well here’s what changed my take on it too:

Colbert publicly admitting that was the case last year. I used to chop it up to they had too many needs to prioritize improving on that area. But it hit the point imo where it wasn’t trying to catch up, but they were tricking themselves into it was fine at spots. 

This very much. We are now at the point where is was pointless to have VW on the roster to some respect. We could certainly have used that money to address safety or TE. I know that hindsight is always 20/20 and they didnt know they would get Bush and its always easy to criticize after the fact but it's also the truth and a truth that could have at least partly been aware of before the deal was ever signed.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Honestly this is something that frustrates me. I feel like the FO settles too often for 'what we have' at positions rather than making changes and trying to get something out of prospects that are available to us.

I get that's normal across the league and that a prospect isnt necessarily better than experienced talent, but for example, Sutton Smith likely doesnt even make the roster, could we have drafted a safety? Maybe not, maybe there was nothing more promising than Smith and that's fine.

Maybe Tre Boston? Idk I'm just saying it feels they settle for mediocrity often, too often.

this bold part is a reason the team has failed for years IMO, a real fault in their regime and system . Will it end? Nope, not as long as all the same people are here (colbert etc). At least this offseason they helped the D or so it seems. I still wanted them to let dupree go and sign Houston, that would have me seeing the FO in a different light, but they still kept one of their draft picks instead.

to Smiths defence, he has had injuries and more annoying (to some)is that the team kept dupree and chickillo. These players are proven  though, so I would expect 1 of them to be here from last year anyways. Both though, makes it more difficult for smith to make the team. I was hoping smith would make the team, but instead the surprise will be skipper making the team.  They better not cut Ola though, that is where the IR return comes into play if required (again) . 

17 minutes ago, muncher said:

big picture.

3.8 million isnt very much money for the production.

nobody knew barron would be signed or bush would be drafted.

it was a cheap insurance policy

could they trade VW though, he should have some trade value , fairly reliable and a decent player. It's not like trying to trade burns, heck they might get similar returns as they did with ABxD Ok, not a 3rd, but what about a 5th?

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

could they trade VW though, he should have some trade value , fairly reliable and a decent player. It's not like trying to trade burns, heck they might get similar returns as they did with ABxD Ok, not a 3rd, but what about a 5th?

maybe if the money was an issue but it isnt. 

we have zero proven ilbs on our roster other than williams. kinda a risky move to trade our 1 proven guy to get a 5th and a few million dollars imo

6 hours ago, muncher said:

maybe if the money was an issue but it isnt. 

we have zero proven ilbs on our roster other than williams. kinda a risky move to trade our 1 proven guy to get a 5th and a few million dollars imo

bush ( standout thus far and RD1 pick better be as good or better) and Baron (already a proven vet in this league) are the starters if that makes sense. 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, 3rivers said:

bush ( standout thus far and RD1 pick better be as good or better) and Baron (already a proven vet in this league) are the starters if that makes sense. 

i think there is too much bush hype right now compared to what he has actually done. im waiting for bush to make some plays behind the LOS.

im pretty confident that it will happen but at this point,  i  trust williams more

baron and bush in the middle leaves us a little light against the run. 

imo, i think williams has more value being on the team at this point than having a 5th round pick next year.

1 hour ago, muncher said:

imo, i think williams has more value being on the team at this point than having a 5th round pick next year

Yeah, this. Williams is a valuable player. Everyone can't be an All-Pro. Williams brings tons of experience, toughness, run stopping, pass rush, he even covers better than given credit for, plus leadership and ST ability. It would be dumb to trade him unless someone blew our doors off with an offer. 

20 hours ago, muncher said:

baron and bush in the middle leaves us a little light against the run. 

then see if teams can run, if they do THEN make a change or a rotation. I would challenge the front 3 and see how they hold up. Hargrave is in a contract year, it would be a good way to keep his price down next year ;) If the DL keep the ILB's clean, then there should be no problem. 

What has the CB play been like though? Thats the weakest link on the D or perhaps safety with Davis but I won't even ask about that. Has Nelson been legit starter  out there?

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

then see if teams can run, if they do THEN make a change or a rotation. I would challenge the front 3 and see how they hold up. Hargrave is in a contract year, it would be a good way to keep his price down next year ;) If the DL keep the ILB's clean, then there should be no problem. 

What has the CB play been like though? Thats the weakest link on the D or perhaps safety with Davis but I won't even ask about that. Has Nelson been legit starter  out there?

Davis and Burns have been pretty solid Imo. They shown improvement.  I know that doesn't fit your agenda but that's how I see it. 

45 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

no argument from me on that philosophy.

my angle was that williams has value on this team